SSHRC Doctoral Fellowship/CGS Doctoral Scholarship 2016-2017

rugox

For what it's worth, SSHRC just told me that results were mailed today.

Oh, when I thought this morning that I would have a peaceful weekend! It's the first time that I'm applying for the SSHRC doctoral competition... is it always full of unexpected developments like that?

Edited by biggoalies

2 minutes ago, biggoalies said:

For what it's worth, SSHRC just told me that results were mailed today.

Oh, and I thought this morning that I would have a peaceful weekend! It's the first time I'm applying to for the SSHRC doctoral competition... is it always full of unexpected developments like that?

SSHRC is a bit of an oddball in that they notify us by snail mail. The others (CHIR & NSERC) use an online portal to notify students. Funny thing is (at least in my memory) SSHRC CGS Masters awards are done through an online portal. SSHRC just seems to be slow in their move to the digital era.

On 21/04/2016 at 8:01 AM, Anthrogal said:

OMG is right!!! SO tempted to e-mail my university to try and find out, although my understanding is that they are not supposed to release the results. Scott212 - it appears from your post you have received OGS info already? Ours is not going to be released until next Friday. Groan!

Okay I broke down and e-mailed my university. I'm 90% certain they won't tell me, but what the hell? Nothing ventured, nothing gained! :)

yes I heard about OGS and being on the waitlist ages ago which I'm not sure about if this is a good thing or not. I am DYING to hear back that I have been moved off the wait list and offered the scholarship so I'm pleading people to accept SSHRC and reject OGS so I can maybe get one! (I've already been rejected for SSHRC unfortunately 

14 minutes ago, preambling said:

Emailed the external awards officer at Concordia (who I think is the same one that confirmed another user's SSHRC), and was only told to await decision by mail. Probably does not bode well, but the inconsistency is frustrating.  

Sorry to hear that, not sure why they are being inconsistent like that. If it helps, I am an MA student at Concordia going into a Ph.D. at McGill, so not sure if that had any impact on it.

2 hours ago, biggoalies said:

I don't want to harass that friendly woman by emailing her/going to talk to her again... but maybe if you call her and mention that other schools have emailed the results it'll prompt her to proceed in that direction before 4pm! :rolleyes:

The Research Officer at York responded to my email telling me her to call her for the results. I was unsuccessful but I wish you better luck!

1 minute ago, DanielaM said:

The Research Officer at York responded to my email telling me her to call her for the results. I was unsuccessful but I wish you better luck!

Thanks for mentioning it. So sorry to hear that... If you're still eligible next year, I hope that you get it!

Just called, I couldn't barely articulate on the phone. Sounds like I got the SSHRC fellowship ^_^ although I'm so scared right now... I want the letter to confirm before I allow myself to truly celebrate, especially after seeing universities like UMichigan completely messing up the application result announcements.

6 minutes ago, FacelessMage said:

It's bittersweet for me getting the results as I didn't get accepted to any of the PhD programs I applied to. Wish they'd let you know earlier on so you can use the award as leverage. :/

Did you get it? Depending on where you want(ed) to go, it might not be too late to try to use it as leverage. Might be tougher for PhDs than MAs with CGS-M, but still worth a try if you got it, no?

Edited by biggoalies

9 minutes ago, FacelessMage said:

It's bittersweet for me getting the results as I didn't get accepted to any of the PhD programs I applied to. Wish they'd let you know earlier on so you can use the award as leverage. :/

YOu can absolutely still do this and should do this. If you got an award, contact the programs you applied to. i've known a few people to do this.

After my third application I finally got it! I received an email from my department letting me know that my application for a SSHRC award was successful. Judging from what others have posted, it sounds like award recipients may be notified by email from their respective institutions. I concur with others that it may be worthwhile to send an email to your departmental administrator. 

I wish all of you still waiting the best of luck!!!!

Congrats to all of the successful applicants! I am beginning to wonder if the universities are in fact only revealing successful results and choosing to be ambiguous otherwise (which is totally cruel if that is the case.. cause then unsuccessful applicants hold on to hope). 

WOW I am still in disbelief... Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies came around and emailed me to say I received an award. It does not say the amount or duration (but I know I am ineligible for CGS now anyways). Good luck to everyone else and hang in there to those who got ambiguous replies (because I got one initially that sounded like I had no chance!)!!!

20 minutes ago, ry0718 said:

I've just talked to a lady at the Graduate Studies and Research Office (U of Alberta). She told me that I have to wait for an email from my department or to get a mail from SSHRC...

I am in the exact same boat. I'm hoping that having a good working relationship with my department's grad admin assistant will help me find out as soon as possible.

1 hour ago, biggoalies said:

Thanks for mentioning it. So sorry to hear that... If you're still eligible next year, I hope that you get it!

Just called, I couldn't barely articulate on the phone. Sounds like I got the SSHRC fellowship ^_^ although I'm so scared right now... I want the letter to confirm before I allow myself to truly celebrate, especially after seeing universities like UMichigan completely messing up the application result announcements.

What are you referring to here with respect to Michigan?

34 minutes ago, RWBG said:

What are you referring to here with respect to Michigan?

A "glitch in the system" that caused a bunch of unsuccessful applicants to be accepted for the PhD program in Anthropology before receiving another email 20 minutes later stating that a mistake had been made. Something like that. I was lucky enough to be rejected the first time around, so I deleted that second email after reading it. I'm guessing some folks discussed the matter in my depth (and frustration) somewhere on this forum!

The connection to the case in hand here is not direct; it's more a fear that the employee could have read the wrong spreadsheet line, so in my mind, only the letter will make it real (and perhaps trump the denial).

Edited by biggoalies

5 hours ago, biggoalies said:

A "glitch in the system" that caused a bunch of unsuccessful applicants to be accepted for the PhD program in Anthropology before receiving another email 20 minutes later stating that a mistake had been made. Something like that. I was lucky enough to be rejected the first time around, so I deleted that second email after reading it. I'm guessing some folks discussed the matter in my depth (and frustration) somewhere on this forum!

The connection to the case in hand here is not direct; it's more a fear that the employee could have read the wrong spreadsheet line, so in my mind, only the letter will make it real (and perhaps trump the denial).

OK, thanks! Given that I'm at Michigan, you can understand my curiosity!

9 hours ago, DealBreakerC said:

SSHRC is a bit of an oddball in that they notify us by snail mail. The others (CHIR & NSERC) use an online portal to notify students. Funny thing is (at least in my memory) SSHRC CGS Masters awards are done through an online portal. SSHRC just seems to be slow in their move to the digital era.

Totally agree. Direct applicants like me who are applying from the State side or other countries have to wait longer for the mail to arrive....UGH

11 hours ago, rugox said:

Totally agree. Direct applicants like me who are applying from the State side or other countries have to wait longer for the mail to arrive....UGH

What's really getting me is that some admin person knows whether I got the scholarship or not but I don't. There is something wrong with this if applicant doesn't find out first or at least within hours of someone at the school. I kind of have a vested interest in me after all

Hey everyone,

I've been following this thread and emailed the senior awards officer at U of T inquiring about the results yesterday. She wrote me back an hour later and told me I was awarded the 3 year CGS-D. 

Before this, I had emailed my graduate unit and asked about notifications. He told me that the results just came in and that students would be notified "very soon". If you're eager to find out the result at U of T you might very well get a response on Monday from the awards officer at SGS. Otherwise it sounds like SGS will be emailing students either on Monday or Tuesday, hopefully before the official letters reach us. Hang in there!

Edited by psychstudent316

2 hours ago, DealBreakerC said:

What's really getting me is that some admin person knows whether I got the scholarship or not but I don't. There is something wrong with this if applicant doesn't find out first or at least within hours of someone at the school. I kind of have a vested interest in me after all

I think its important to realize that "some admin person" is in charge of a LOT of decision distribution, are often overworked and usually dealing with grad students who hound them constantly. "Some admin person" at sshrc knows before you too, "Some admin person" knows about your admittance to programs before you. "Some admin" at your school deserves a little more regard and are doing the best they can. Maybe learn their name and thank them.