MPH Canada Fall 2016

Snehal2410

14 hours ago, doc_911 said:

hey everybody, SFU has just given out admission decisions . Check your status now people!!.

Sadly for me, I cudnt make it through. But I guess most of you might.. SO congrats to all those

Aw, don't give up! We're the future PH practitioners and we mustn't succumb to this. SO nice of you to still tell people to check despite you not making it. It speaks volumes of you and it is precisely what this field needs! :)

Hi! This is my first time posting here.

I received a recommendation for admission to USask on March 14. I checked MyInfo for Lakehead today and the status has been changed to admitted, so they've finally started to send out their responses. I'm still waiting on 2 more schools to respond back (Waterloo and UAlberta). 

Don't lose hope guys! Responses are coming slowly, but surely :) 

20 minutes ago, chezismael said:

Aw, don't give up! We're the future PH practitioners and we mustn't succumb to this. SO nice of you to still tell people to check despite you not making it. It speaks volumes of you and it is precisely what this field needs! :)

Yeah.. no giving up..and thanx :) .. what about your results? Heard from any?

40 minutes ago, jstarr001 said:

Hi! This is my first time posting here.

I received a recommendation for admission to USask on March 14. I checked MyInfo for Lakehead today and the status has been changed to admitted, so they've finally started to send out their responses. I'm still waiting on 2 more schools to respond back (Waterloo and UAlberta). 

Don't lose hope guys! Responses are coming slowly, but surely :) 

Hey! Congratulations! 

Did you get an email from Lakehead about your admission? Thanks!

Just checked Lakehead myinfo and I got accepted as well. 

@mph2016AK i ddidn't receive an email but they did say that an official offer would be sent to my lakehead email account. 

Also got an offer to queens! But I'm really really hoping for sfu! 

1 hour ago, doc_911 said:

Yeah.. no giving up..and thanx :) .. what about your results? Heard from any?

I applied to U of T (Health Promotion stream) and I haven't heard from them, but I don't think anyone has. I'm pretty sure I won't make it though since I'm an international student and I think my application is weak. I also applied to Lund University (in Sweden) and they announce results March 29th, so here's hoping I make it there! 

Which program do you guys feel good in terms of course content and job prospects. What I felt is McGill`s MSc PH is more oriented towards epidemiology and biostatistics but, the degree is not a specialization or thesis based in Biostats or Epi. so, how useful will be the program in terms of employment ? UoSask MPH  curriculum is diverse but, I don`t know how well it will make us competent in finding employment.

So, could anyone provide your views on both of them. 

McGill`s MSc PH vs.  UoSaskatchewan`s MPH ?

22 minutes ago, Achillies_MPH said:

Which program do you guys feel good in terms of course content and job prospects. What I felt is McGill`s MSc PH is more oriented towards epidemiology and biostatistics but, the degree is not a specialization or thesis based in Biostats or Epi. so, how useful will be the program in terms of employment ? UoSask MPH  curriculum is diverse but, I don`t know how well it will make us competent in finding employment.

So, could anyone provide your views on both of them. 

McGill`s MSc PH vs.  UoSaskatchewan`s MPH ?

I didn't apply to USask so I can't comment on their program. I accepted my offer to Mcgill's MPH, McGill and UofT (MPH-epidemiology) are my top choices. 

One of the reasons McGill was a top choice is exactly because their MPH program has such a strong Epi component. I have spoken with students graduating from the program this semester, and they said that MPH and Epi students take all the same courses during the first year. Because of this, the department at McGill says the MPH program is really a MPH, with a specialization in epi (and even advises students to write it this way on their resume). I have seen many job openings that are for Epi students or for MPH graduates who have a strong Epi background. I feel like McGill's program would prepare students for jobs in both the fields of public health and Epi, while some more general MPH programs are really geared towards preparing students for working specifically in public health. 

1 hour ago, jstarr001 said:

Thank you! Like Mila19, it was just updated on the website. No email as of yet.

Thats awesome for you guys!

Did you know when it updated your Myinfo? Was it today?

Just now, clhMPH said:

I didn't apply to USask so I can't comment on their program. I accepted my offer to Mcgill's MPH, McGill and UofT (MPH-epidemiology) are my top choices. 

One of the reasons McGill was a top choice is exactly because their MPH program has such a strong Epi component. I have spoken with students graduating from the program this semester, and they said that MPH and Epi students take all the same courses during the first year. Because of this, the department at McGill says the MPH program is really a MPH, with a specialization in epi (and even advises students to write it this way on their resume). I have seen many job openings that are for Epi students or for MPH graduates who have a strong Epi background. I feel like McGill's program would prepare students for jobs in both the fields of public health and Epi, while some more general MPH programs are really geared towards preparing students for working specifically in public health. 

Thank you for the reply :) It`s quite useful.

I was recommended by the McGill`s dept. of Epi. and Biostatistics for MSc PH program on February 23rd and it was also mentioned in the letter that I will receive a offer from GPS within two weeks but, I haven`t received it yet. I emailed to the dept. They said that recommendation was forwarded to the GPS and I will receive a offer letter by the end of this week. So, eagerly waiting for it. After getting recommended by the dept., within how many days did you receive the offer from  GPS ?

1 hour ago, chezismael said:

I applied to U of T (Health Promotion stream) and I haven't heard from them, but I don't think anyone has. I'm pretty sure I won't make it though since I'm an international student and I think my application is weak. I also applied to Lund University (in Sweden) and they announce results March 29th, so here's hoping I make it there! 

All the best for Lund university then..:)

Got the rejection email from SFU today?. All the best to all those still in the race. Still waiting for response from USask and U of T

Edited by damsel

23 hours ago, gank2994 said:

Hey! I did too. :) Congrats!

If you got an email from Gerri, you'll get an email from Queen's School of Graduate Studies soon, where you respond to their offer online. I don't believe they're sending out mail. 

Thank you and congrats to you as well! I received the official offer by email yesterday.

Does anyone know how the process of accepting an offer and then declining it works (if you get accepted by another university later on and prefer it to the one you accepted already)? I wouldn't want to pass up my offer for Queen's (deadline April 1st) while waiting for UofT but I would choose UofT if they accept since I live in Toronto.

12 hours ago, Achillies_MPH said:

I too was rejected for SFU`s MPH population health concentration.

Good luck to everyone who applied to SFU!

BTW, How about Saskatchewan`s MPH program vs. McGill`s MSc PH?

Which one is good? Any advice

Are you a canadian applicant or international?

Hi to all ! ! Returning to this forum after a long hiatus...I have received a mail from SFU that FHS has recommended me to OGS for admission in MPH - Environmental and Occupational Health stream. If approved by OGS, I will receive official offer letter within 1-2 weeks.

SFU is among my top choices. But still waiting for U o T (Occupational and Environmental Health), U o A ( Occupational and Environmental Health) and McMaster results.

Could not contact any last graduate from SFU. Any comments for the program from SFU ? Went through the website and read the Course Requirement. Found it comprehensive as far as EOH stream is concerned.

Even my status is still like a pendulum. I have moved to the score of 475 in Express Entry and fingers are crossed for the next draw. So PR is also in the sight. But the EE process will take at least 6 months and I will not be able to make it up for Sept-2016 deadline for my admission. So confused at a moment.

Congrats to all who have been accepted. And All the best to all who are waiting for favorable response.