MPH Canada Fall 2016

Snehal2410

1 hour ago, clhMPH said:

I did my undergrad at McGill. My major was in Ecological Determinants of Health (environment), and my minor was in Life Sciences.

I live in Montreal so McGill makes a lot more sense financially. I also wouldn't need to adjust to much since I know how administrative/academic stuff works there, I would have a TA position, and I'd applied to a scholarship that only applies for studies in Quebec..so I feel like I could really make the most of the two years and get involved with things related to the program, etc.. If I move to Toronto i'll have to spend time adjusting and will be starting from scratch...However, their program is well-recognized and very established so it's a tough decision (if I get accepted there).

Where have you applied?

We've got similar stories actually, cept I'm from ontario. Also did my undergrad at McGill, political science and international development though. In Canada it's only McGill and UofT. I was pretty insistent on going abroad for my masters so I applied to several schools in Europe (Imperial College London, UCL, Copenhagen, Lund). But the more I look at it, the smarter it seems to stick to McGill/UofT for exactly the same reasons you listed. Being more familiar with the system and challenging yourself off of an established springboard rather than starting from scratch. Not to mention the crazy financial strain of setting up in a foreign country. The north american programs also seem to be much more quantitative, and that's what I'm looking for. I guess we'll have to see what happens at crunch time. 

Waitlisted at UBC for the MPH/MSN program. It was the only program I applied to, so I'll be reapplying next year. The email I received stated that  the waitlist will likely not be moving. 

About me: BScN with a 3.8/4 gpa, one year of experience as an RN in the hospital setting, volunteering in the community and at the children's hospital, solid references, no research/publications, and little public health work as a nurse. 

Good luck to everyone! 

On April 5, 2016 at 10:15 AM, Munazza said:

Yes m still waiting to hear back from water loo 

application still says no decision made yet 

it's very frustrating now ?

Hi there! Are you referring to their MPH program or the MSc in public health? If it's for MSc, I just received my offer this morning so check your email :)

If anyone here is going to UAlberta, do you know if we are supposed to start enrolling in courses now? I received my official admission letter and it says that I am eligible to register as of April 6th, but I am not sure what that is referring to... if you go on bear tracks there is an option to enroll in Fall Term 2016 and Winter Term 2017 (not sure if we are supposed to be doing this now). 

23 hours ago, pulse said:

If anyone here is going to UAlberta, do you know if we are supposed to start enrolling in courses now? I received my official admission letter and it says that I am eligible to register as of April 6th, but I am not sure what that is referring to... if you go on bear tracks there is an option to enroll in Fall Term 2016 and Winter Term 2017 (not sure if we are supposed to be doing this now). 

Hi!

Congrats for getting an admit from UoA. Which stream did you get into ?

I did not receive any decision yet :) Finger`s crossed!

22 hours ago, Munazza said:

Can any one please give me suggestion how is the online MPH that liberty and belhaven Uni ???

please advice about their reputation ? 

Hi!

I would suggest to post in the group about US MPH admissions. Hope it helps.

Good luck!

6 minutes ago, Achillies_MPH said:

Hi!

Congrats for getting an admit from UoA. Which stream did you get into ?

I did not receive any decision yet :) Finger`s crossed!

Thank you! I was accepted to the Health Promotion stream. Are you familiar with Alberta's MPH programs by any chance? I am from Ontario, and I don't know too much about what U of A is like. I hope you hear back from Alberta soon! 

37 minutes ago, pulse said:

Thank you! I was accepted to the Health Promotion stream. Are you familiar with Alberta's MPH programs by any chance? I am from Ontario, and I don't know too much about what U of A is like. I hope you hear back from Alberta soon! 

Alberta`s MPH program is the one of the oldest public health programs in Canada. They also have CEPH accreditation so, if you would like to work in the US after MPH then, it won`t be a problem for you. As they are offering the program since a long time, I feel that they have a wide range of courses to choose from along with well developed network of practicum sites.

Edited by Achillies_MPH

41 minutes ago, Achillies_MPH said:

Alberta`s MPH program is the one of the oldest public health programs in Canada. They also have CEPH accreditation so, if you would like to work in the US after MPH then, it won`t be a problem for you. As they are offering the program since a long time, I feel that they have a wide range of courses to choose from along with well developed network of practicum sites.

Thanks so much @Achillies_MPH, I appreciate your help! That's really great to hear! Good luck on your applications, I hope we will be classmates in the Fall of 2016 :)

18 hours ago, pulse said:

Thanks so much @Achillies_MPH, I appreciate your help! That's really great to hear! Good luck on your applications, I hope we will be classmates in the Fall of 2016 :)

You are welcome :)

Yes, looking forward to hear from UoA :D finger`s crossed!

Edited by Achillies_MPH

31 minutes ago, Mark Reist said:

Question,

If I have not heard back from Queen's at this point does it mean I am basically rejected? Also has anyone else been placed on the waitlist for Guelph, I wish I knew how many people were on it and if it is even going to move (aka is it worth the hope) 

Not necessarily, maybe someone will reject their offer and you get their spot. And I still haven't heard back from Guelph ... they are sure taking their sweet time deciding.

58 minutes ago, Mark Reist said:

I was rejected this morning from Mac and mine still says "pending" so I guess they don't really update the status on the site 

I just received an email from McMaster's (MPH program) stating that I am on the waitlist. I have already accepted McGill's offer, so I won't be going there.

McMaster's seems to be sending out the remainder of their rejection or waitlist letters today.

Edited by clhMPH

10 minutes ago, Chenoia said:

I did and they told me to keep an eye out on Quest for any status update..  that was almost two weeks ago 

Thanks for the reply! 

It doesn't seem like Waterloo is very helpful with these matters. I just hate that it's taking them so long, especially since they gave a timeline :unsure: