WINE, WAIT, AND WHINE THREAD

Dr. Brains

Just now, magnetite said:

As I'm still waiting on six applications, I'll continue enduring the Feburgatory for everyone else here. You all can live vicariously through my anxiety!

I'll hop in the waiting boat with you! Still waiting on 10 here, having gotten an acceptance to one (unfortunately my back-up school).

@magnetite and @Euler I'm with you on the waiting. Still waiting on #1 choice and the one I think I'm probably rejected from but hey ho, still want the confirmation. 

The school I'm accepted to is the one I thought I really didn't like but the more I look at it the more I think I could actually enjoy going to school there! Amazing how your perception of a place changes as their perception of you changes! 

2 minutes ago, Euler said:

I'll hop in the waiting boat with you! Still waiting on 10 here, having gotten an acceptance to one (unfortunately my back-up school).

Ten? Ack! What's your discipline? I imagine you're going to be flooded with results before too long.

1 minute ago, hippyscientist said:

@magnetite and @Euler I'm with you on the waiting. Still waiting on #1 choice and the one I think I'm probably rejected from but hey ho, still want the confirmation. 

The school I'm accepted to is the one I thought I really didn't like but the more I look at it the more I think I could actually enjoy going to school there! Amazing how your perception of a place changes as their perception of you changes! 

That's for sure! I've been putting off actually comparing which schools I like best, since I don't want to get my hopes up on programs that I don't get into. The one I got into is still my lowest right now, though, since it's a master's and I want to go straight into a Ph.D. program.

Just now, Neist said:

Ten? Ack! What's your discipline? I imagine you're going to be flooded with results before too long.

I'm in pure math. Only a couple of the schools have sent out anything, so I'm expecting a couple rejection letters in the mail soon, but eight of the 10 are still no-contact so far :P

Just now, Euler said:

I'm in pure math. Only a couple of the schools have sent out anything, so I'm expecting a couple rejection letters in the mail soon, but eight of the 10 are still no-contact so far :P

Ahhh it was a toss up between maths, physics or engineering from your name! I just wrote a whole paper on Euler equations...joys! 

4 minutes ago, hippyscientist said:

Ahhh it was a toss up between maths, physics or engineering from your name! I just wrote a whole paper on Euler equations...joys! 

Euler equations as in fluid dynamics? That's a really cool field, but nothing I actually know anything about.

2 minutes ago, magnetite said:

We just covered Euler's equation for calculus of variations in my classical mechanics class today. Fun times.

It's great coming across it for your first time! Definitely one of the most universally useful equations out there.

1 minute ago, Euler said:

Euler equations as in fluid dynamics? That's a really cool field, but nothing I actually know anything about.

It's great coming across it for your first time! Definitely one of the most universally useful equations out there.

Just the rigid body dynamics stuff. It's great fun trying to apply rigid body stuff to wobbling masses..../sarcasm

I swear I am going to rip my computer from the wall if I get one more email from Groupon, the local comedy club, my student worker, or basically anyone who is not the program director where I applied. I don't care if there's a sale at Bon-Ton, I don't care about reminders from my department chair for grant apps, I don't care that one of our parking lots is closed...

Seriously, seeing my email notification indicator and then having it be anything but what I'm looking for is like having mini-heart attacks all day. I think my husband (who works from home) is sick of my daily "Is the mail here yet?" texts.

I'm still waiting to hear back from three of the schools I applied to, but since I have an acceptance, I'm really only waiting to hear back from my other top choice, which is also where I went for undergrad. I think I have gotten more emails about reunions, alumni events, and university news in the past two weeks than I have in the entire five years since I graduated! It is terrifying, then a relief, then a disappointment every time I get yet another email from the school that is not about my PhD application.

If they could just stop sending me anything until they make a decision, that would be greaaaaaaaat <_<

Edited by aebh615

15 minutes ago, The Interdisciplinarian said:

I swear I am going to rip my computer from the wall if I get one more email from Groupon, the local comedy club, my student worker, or basically anyone who is not the program director where I applied. I don't care if there's a sale at Bon-Ton, I don't care about reminders from my department chair for grant apps, I don't care that one of our parking lots is closed...

Seriously, seeing my email notification indicator and then having it be anything but what I'm looking for is like having mini-heart attacks all day. I think my husband (who works from home) is sick of my daily "Is the mail here yet?" texts.

I totally understand!

If I get another Groupon Goods email about refurbished Fitbits. I'm going to scream. :D 

@katpillow You applied to so many programs! Some don't send out notifications until much later....I'm not saying this to try and give you a sense of false hope, but don't give up just yet...there is still time in this whole long, drawn out process.

@Demeter congratulations! Best of luck with....filling out paperwork?

@raaawr I know Pasadena City College on the east side (https://pasadena.augusoft.net/index.cfm?method=ClassListing.ClassListingDisplay&int_category_id=8&int_sub_category_id=76), and West LA College on the west (https://westlac.augusoft.net/index.cfm?method=ClassListing.ClassListingDisplay&int_category_id=3&int_sub_category_id=128&int_catalog_id=) have non-credit classes. There are many community colleges around town that offer inexpensive classes; you could see if you could audit one as well. 

@Cat_Robutt The Bon-Ton is a department store like Macy's, or maybe Nordstrom's. It's a department store, you can  generally expect them to be clean, and have decent stuff with pretty good sales. I have rarely been in one, but I understand it to be a step above JC Penny. I'm not sure how they rank. 

Also, thank you. I'm hopeful that whatever deity governs the government funding relating to public health looks favorably upon me. At the very least, I hope the paperwork goes in without glitches. 

1 hour ago, Cat_Robutt said:

What....what is Bon-Ton? Is it a restaurant just for ten-ton bonbons? Wanton bonnets? Bonbon buttons? Halp.

Also, @The Interdisciplinarian are you going to PCA/ACA?

Yeah, what @Demeter said. I swear I barely shop there and yet they stalk me like I'm their cheating ex or something. :P

Not going to PCA this year, but I have a neat idea for a paper I'd like to present there someday. Currently working on something that wouldn't really be their bag, on Edwardian literature. I'm considering doing something about gender presentation in '70s glam rock, randomly. Could have it ready for next year. :)

@Demeter and @The Interdisciplinarian thanks for the clarification! Sad there aren't huge bonbon stores, but oh well....such is life.

And @The Interdisciplinarian that sounds awesome, both with Edwardian lit and glam rock. Both of those are endlessly interesting :P