WINE, WAIT, AND WHINE THREAD

Dr. Brains

22 minutes ago, nevermind said:

Finally got my funding offer from UCSD! "This financial package represents the highest award that the Department offers and is a tribute to your outstanding qualifications for graduate study." SUPER excited for 5 years of guaranteed support AND no TA-ing my first year. 

San Diego sunshine is looking better and better. :)

Wow! Congrats!! :D

22 minutes ago, Demeter said:

tumblr_m15p6010Fo1r7vxcmo1_500.gif

In the gif-fy sprit of this thread, I spent my day looking at my mailbox like this, half afraid it would reveal a letter, and fairly anxious when it did not. 

When you know that the only grad school mail coming could be rejections, but you still watch for the mail truck like a hawk.

Edited by Euler

2 hours ago, nevermind said:

Finally got my funding offer from UCSD! "This financial package represents the highest award that the Department offers and is a tribute to your outstanding qualifications for graduate study." SUPER excited for 5 years of guaranteed support AND no TA-ing my first year. 

Congrats! :D

10 minutes ago, Demeter said:

@nevermind So many congrats to you. That's outstanding, and very, very, awesome.  There is so much good news on this thread that I can't even keep up. 

Thanks! I tried not to get my hopes up because I know how broke the UC system is and I knew that it was a particularly competitive applicant pool (and my quant. GRE was frightfully looooow). But now it means that I can start planning my move (and start making a budget)...I'm way more excited about the admitted students day now that I know how much confidence the department has in my abilities/potential. :)

Edited by nevermind

2 hours ago, nevermind said:

Outstanding!

9 minutes ago, nevermind said:

Thanks! I tried not to get my hopes up because I know how broke the UC system is and I knew that it was a particularly competitive applicant pool. But now it means that I can start planning my move (and start making a budget)...I'm way more excited about the admitted students day now that I know how much confidence the department has in my abilities/potential. :)

And to San Diego nonetheless! I mean if that isn't the definition of a paid vacation, I don't know what is :)

2 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

And to San Diego nonetheless! I mean if that isn't the definition of a paid vacation, I don't know what is :)

Rock climbing outside all year round? I'm going to be so strong! :)

and by "so strong", I mean...reading and highlighting and note taking.

1 hour ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

Today I set out to decline the offers from 10 schools... I could only figure out how to decline the offers from 2 of them. I can't believe they thought I was good enough to offer me a position :(

Just curious, which one do you choose of out 12?

15 minutes ago, iloveOM said:

Welcome to Ithaca =) You will need a lot of warm clothes :D

Wednesday has arrived!

A good coat and good shoes will get you pretty far. 

Ithaca is heaven in June when undergrads have left and the weather isn't too hot yet!

5 hours ago, nevermind said:

Oh man congratulations!!!  I love San Diego plus the school is in the best location ever. There's a couple of my favouritist places in the whole entire world in SD. 

Also, I need a whine. I ran out of nutella this morning. I am sad. 

Edited by hippyscientist

13 hours ago, The Interdisciplinarian said:

Ugh, debt and loans and funding is so scary. If I get in but with no funding, I can't do this. I have hefty loans from my MFA (most MFAs have almost nothing in the way of funding), so even though my BA is all paid for long ago and my MA was funded, I do NOT want additional debt and in fact am kind of banking (ha ha) on being able to defer my MFA loans while doing the PhD.

Which puts me in mind of asking some advice. As this week creeps along with no news, one option I've considered is a one-year graduate certificate. I have a couple already (one in women's studies and one in instructional design), but those were basically free, as I did them at the school where I work. I'm looking at an online cert in Book History/Digital Humanities from Texas Tech, and it is incredibly appealing, but I'd want to pay out of pocket. On one hand, I think getting a more diverse set of credentials would look good if I wait a year or two and try for PhD programs again, but on the other hand, would this scattershot educational history make me look unfocused and a bit all over the place?

Mostly I just hate not being in school this year. This is the first academic year since 2004 that I haven't at least taken a class somewhere, even if it's just for fun. I've done non-degree language coursework in the past, just to stay fresh with my French, and have taken random things that I'm curious about, like economics and world poetry. I've heard that doing too much random coursework, though, makes you look like a dilettante or something.

What kind of mfa do you have and what phd are you applying for? I think if you take the one year certificate in the related field of the phd you're applying for, it might up your application to make it more consistent since you said you have background in different fields. But I'm not 100% sure on that. Lol. In my field i'm considering a post grad certificate as well while I wait for the next application season. Mostly also because I think that will help me improve my portfolio since I believe that has the most impact on art school application. but I have a bachelors on the same field and the mfa I'm applying for is in the same field as well. But my start at bachelors was all over the place though. Lol. I shifted course 2x but I explained that on my SOI

11 hours ago, Neist said:

I began college in 2001, and I've spent at least 12 of those years in school. I'm just now graduating with my undergrad. :D 

It's been a long road.

Took me a few years longer than usual in getting my undergrad too! I was really lost for quite some time. Changed course twice and school 3 times, and had quite a few soul searching vacations in between and 1 lasted a year. Lol. It was just a confusing period but once I decided to stay focused it made up for the madness of my early beginning and finally finished my undergrad which my entire family and I thought would never come. Lol. I think it affected my mfa application though cause grades from the start of my college life are the first thing they say on my messed up TOR. Lol

4 minutes ago, raaawr said:

Took me a few years longer than usual in getting my undergrad too! I was really lost for quite some time. Changed course twice and school 3 times, and had quite a few soul searching vacations in between and 1 lasted a year. Lol. It was just a confusing period but once I decided to stay focused it made up for the madness of my early beginning and finally finished my undergrad which my entire family and I thought would never come. Lol. I think it affected my mfa application though cause grades from the start of my college life are the first thing they say on my messed up TOR. Lol

What time is it at your time zone? Mine is 4:30 am... can not sleep :(