WINE, WAIT, AND WHINE THREAD

Dr. Brains

29 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

Just remember... admissions is not statistics. They aren't choosing names out of a hat :)

Do you copy my style? Just kidding :D

Thanks for your encouragement. Let see what happens.

This is the only school which told me how many people they do interview and how many to accept. The professor who interviewed me also tell me to email him in case I do not have any update within 1 month. Other schools...nah..

I wish every school is the same to that one :( Friendly, clear and to the point.

46 minutes ago, dirk150 said:

I'm just thinking, what's the next step if I get no admissions? I feel that in science, I need to get a PhD in order to achieve any career advancement. I was thinking MS in Chemistry in the next round of applications, and take a few concurrent enrollment Chem classes while I work. Any advice?

Going for an intermediary MS with the intent of going for a PhD afterwards is definitely a good plan in the physical sciences. I applied to one back-up master's in math, and that's my plan as well. Plus, it'll make it quite a bit easier to get into a better PhD program having proof of ability to do graduate-level research, and recommendations from master's professors and advisors.

@PhDinPublicHealthHopeful, I know how you're feeling. The Dartmouth pure math PhD program has apparently given out both offers and waitlists :( I'm pretty down. I just want ANY good news from any of my other programs, but all I have right now is a bunch of silence.

Edited by Euler

Just over two weeks ago I was here on this thread, feeling sure that I would not get into either of the programs I applied to, and that I had failed terribly.

Now, I've accepted admission to my 1st choice school, I'm getting married in 4 months, and I got a great pre-wedding haircut/style today.  I'm loving life!  I say this not to encourage envy, but to remind you that this may soon be you!  At least the accepted into grad school part! ;)

35 minutes ago, SLPgradstudent said:

Just over two weeks ago I was here on this thread, feeling sure that I would not get into either of the programs I applied to, and that I had failed terribly.

Now, I've accepted admission to my 1st choice school, I'm getting married in 4 months, and I got a great pre-wedding haircut/style today.  I'm loving life!  I say this not to encourage envy, but to remind you that this may soon be you!  At least the accepted into grad school part! ;)

Wow! CONGRATS!!!

38 minutes ago, SLPgradstudent said:

Congrats, that's crazy! As if the stress of grad school applications wasn't enough :P

Welp:

" As of February 25, 2016, we have completed our admission and wait list. Unfortunately you are not on either of those lists. "

I guess at least "no" is an answer. That puts my tally at 1 acceptance, 1 rejection, 9 to go!

41 minutes ago, Euler said:

Welp:

" As of February 25, 2016, we have completed our admission and wait list. Unfortunately you are not on either of those lists. "

I guess at least "no" is an answer. That puts my tally at 1 acceptance, 1 rejection, 9 to go!

Ouch. That's certainly a harsh way of letting someone know. :)

Just now, nevermind said:

Ouch. That's certainly a harsh way of letting someone know. :)

There were already some acceptances and wait lists that people posted, so I was pretty sure I was going to be rejected. And that's all been within today I believe (maybe yesterday as well?) so at least the turnaround time was quick!

20 minutes ago, Euler said:

There were already some acceptances and wait lists that people posted, so I was pretty sure I was going to be rejected. And that's all been within today I believe (maybe yesterday as well?) so at least the turnaround time was quick!

Yeah but what happened to

"Your application was good, however we have filled all of our spots and wish you the best" as opposed to "LOL we finished our lists and you aren't on them. buhbye"

5 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

Yeah but what happened to

"Your application was good, however we have filled all of our spots and wish you the best" as opposed to "LOL we finished our lists and you aren't on them. buhbye"

I mean, it was a horrible rejection letter, but I'll take a fast response over a courteous one at this point!

Hello everyone!

This is my first time posting here, so I'm not sure if this is appropriate; but I would like to ask if there is a specific place I should post questions about financial aids to. I have visited the The Bank subforum, but most if not all of the threads are about specific scholarships/fellowships so I'm not sure if I should post general questions there.

Thank you very much in advance for your help!

Hi all, I only decided to post some thoughts here today, but I just keep checking this forums for the past two weeks passively, scooping for any information about interview invitations or any other information being sent from Oxford. No word on anything yet, and they only sent me a link to some kind of survey about my application experience. I mean, come on, why would you ask anyone this if you know that they're just refreshing their email waiting for any news? Not cool. Also, gave me a minor heart attack.

Anyhow, I applied for the OII DPhil. Just after the application deadline, the average 3-year number of applicants went from c.55 to 67! Perhaps they just weren't prepared for some many applications and are still busy assessing...

I am on a mission here. If someday I become a professor and I am in the admissions committee, I will become something like a liaison for folks who are waiting for their results. Maybe give some hopes and shed some light on the next generation of applicants who are in the same boat as we are right now :D 

I don't see how publishing a date that we might expect to hear something by would hurt. I also think it would ease a lot of anxiety by having a date in mind.

Also, my professor at my UK school just told me that my #1 choice school (his alma mater...same PhD I applied to) is normally one of the last to send out decisions, and not to have my heart set on the school I currently have an acceptance from. Does he know something?!?!?!?!?! Ahhhh neuroticisms must continue

Edited by hippyscientist

16 minutes ago, hippyscientist said:

I don't see how publishing a date that we might expect to hear something by would hurt. I also think it would ease a lot of anxiety by having a date in mind.

Also, my professor at my UK school just told me that my #1 choice school (his alma mater...same PhD I applied to) is normally one of the last to send out decisions, and not to have my heart set on the school I currently have an acceptance from. Does he know something?!?!?!?!?! Ahhhh neuroticisms must continue

Is your #1 priority school somehow a California school? Usually the University of California system has multiple rounds of admit, so they could send out the admits quite late. If you are having anxious moments, just bomb the graduate coordinator with some queries on the status of your application. They usually reply with their expected date of results.

@Nirvik it's not, no. I'm waiting to hear about funding from my admit before I contact them (I hate being pushy!) The thing is the department is pretty tiny and I think my discipline informs pretty late at all schools anyway. It's frustrating when you see engineering and the like with all decisions made! Thanks for the info though :) Sure it'll help others.

@hippyscientist I understand your situation. Kinda in the same situation as you are. Even though I am applying for engineering, someone reported an acceptance under the results section that the university has given him/her 9 months of GA. Feels weird and makes me anxious to keep on waiting. From the likes of what I have learnt so far after discussing with my potential adviser, I am an ideal candidate for her program, and we are basically in sync with our research goals. So I don't know what's the hold up. So gotta wait I guess.

P.S. The POI is someone whom I didn't mention in the list of advisers when I applied to the school.

13 hours ago, Demeter said:

@SLPgradstudent My best friend is getting married and asked me to be her MOH. We're working on centerpieces. I think she regrets abandoning her plan to elope! That is to say, good luck with the wedding planning and very best wishes. Wedding mode goes by fast! 

Thanks @Demeter!  Have fun being MOH in your best friend's wedding!  I completely understand the "why didn't we just elope" regrets!  At least we're having some fun with it.  It's a vaguely Shakespeare themed wedding.  Our first date was a performance of "Midsummer Night's Dream" and we both love theater in general.  Yes, my flower girls will have fairy wings, thank you very much!

12 hours ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

Wow! CONGRATS!!!

Thanks Pink Fuzzy Bunny!!!  And congrats to you for getting accepted to every single school you applied to!  Amazing!  Have a great time at Cornell, I hear Ithaca is gorges!  :P

12 hours ago, Euler said:

Congrats, that's crazy! As if the stress of grad school applications wasn't enough :P

Thanks @Euler!  Exactly.  It takes all my time and energy, but it's a blast!  We kinda planned it that way, so that we could get married between applying for grad school and starting the program.  Planning  wedding while applying for grad school is hard enough, I wouldn't want to actually be in grad school while trying to plan.

1 minute ago, DC1020 said:

There are so many Speech-Language Pathology posts on the results board.  I had no idea this was even a degree until a couple weeks ago.

*waves!*  We're all here because getting into grad school for SLP is crazy competitive, and we're all afraid we won't get in anywhere.  The program I'm starting in the fall has about 25 spots for a pool of about 400 applicants.  I still can't believe I got in!