WINE, WAIT, AND WHINE THREAD

Dr. Brains

2 minutes ago, Euler said:

Yeah, I'm expecting one rejection letter (though nobody has posted that they've gotten one yet, so we'll see), and there's a good chance at one acceptance letter. But all the rest of it is waiting for email notification to check the schools' application systems.

I usually skip the middleman and just obsessively check the application systems directly!

I haven't "outsmarted" the system yet though. Meaning, I still haven't found my rejection/acceptance letters on the application website without being notified by email first :-P

1 minute ago, gingin6789 said:

I usually skip the middleman and just obsessively check the application systems directly!

I haven't "outsmarted" the system yet though. Meaning, I still haven't found my rejection/acceptance letters on the application website without being notified by email first :-P

Oh, I mean I do that as well! :P But the email does tend to be more fruitful.

28 minutes ago, gingin6789 said:

I keep seeing posts for notifications via Postal Service today ... and the people list that they received the notification today, on the 28th. Via Postal Service.

There's just one problem:

No+post+on+sundays_b0eb3d_4512074.jpg

Haha, I was wondering how people were getting their mail today. 

Also, I love this meme!

6 minutes ago, rzilby said:

Haha, I was wondering how people were getting their mail today. 

Also, I love this meme!

Probably by owl. Maybe they keep making typos of the university names. Like they mean to type "Hogwarts" but type "Northwestern" instead. I make that same mistake all the time.

I love it, too! I really just wanted an excuse to use it .. 

14 minutes ago, gingin6789 said:

Yes, that's very true!! How many programs are you waiting to hear back from?

Still nine to go. One official acceptance, one official rejection, and I currently have two very promising (one school with two fellowship nominations, one school invite to a "very select group of applicants") and one very not promising (lots of acceptances and wait lists posted, no rejections, and I haven't heard anything).

I'm hoping for an eventful week to say the least!

3 minutes ago, Euler said:

Still nine to go. One official acceptance, one official rejection, and I currently have two very promising (one school with two fellowship nominations, one school invite to a "very select group of applicants") and one very not promising (lots of acceptances and wait lists posted, no rejections, and I haven't heard anything).

I'm hoping for an eventful week to say the least!

Wow that is a lot! I'm glad you have an acceptance under your belt, as well as promising programs to hear back from! Yes, I hope you have an eventful week as well! <3

28 minutes ago, gingin6789 said:

Probably by owl. Maybe they keep making typos of the university names. Like they mean to type "Hogwarts" but type "Northwestern" instead. I make that same mistake all the time.

I love it, too! I really just wanted an excuse to use it .. 

Haha, if I got into Hogwarts, I'd be pretty okay with getting rejected to grad schools :lol:

1 minute ago, rzilby said:

Haha, if I got into Hogwarts, I'd be pretty okay with getting rejected to grad schools :lol:

Me, too, especially if they offered me a nice funding package (including reimbursement for mileage when traveling by broom to conferences and such).

35 minutes ago, gingin6789 said:

Me, too, especially if they offered me a nice funding package (including reimbursement for mileage when traveling by broom to conferences and such).

Haha, considering how many years late our Hogwarts letters are, I'd hope we'd get good funding. 

Just now, marycaryne said:

I'm not sure I'd even care about funding if I got into Hogwarts. lol

Well, Ron was pretty miserable being poor. Furthermore, we see Hogwarts from the eyes of Harry, who has mounds and mounds of gold locked up in Gringotts. But then again, that's just my inner sociologist coming out.

Just now, litany239 said:

Well, Ron was pretty miserable being poor. Furthermore, we see Hogwarts from the eyes of Harry, who has mounds and mounds of gold locked up in Gringotts. But then again, that's just my inner sociologist coming out.

Depends on what you mean by "miserable." That focus seemed to be more on his ability (or lack thereof) to purchase treats from the train cart or having to buy second hand books, clothes, etc. I grew up like that and still live in a way that implements the same tactics...used books for school or for pleasure are common in my life, I'm a master at finding amazing steals at the thrift store, etc. Doesn't bother me. Furthermore, Ron had a wonderful family, a great best friend, and got the girl. All the riches couldn't save Harry's parents or prevent him from murder attempts. I'm all good. :D

12 minutes ago, litany239 said:

Truthfully, rich or poor- I'd be at Hogwarts. I'll take the janitorial position if it means attending the school (though I'd totally prefer to be studying transfiguration and playing quidditch on the Gryffindor team!)

6 minutes ago, marycaryne said:

Depends on what you mean by "miserable." That focus seemed to be more on his ability (or lack thereof) to purchase treats from the train cart or having to buy second hand books, clothes, etc. I grew up like that and still live in a way that implements the same tactics...used books for school or for pleasure are common in my life, I'm a master at finding amazing steals at the thrift store, etc. Doesn't bother me. Furthermore, Ron had a wonderful family, a great best friend, and got the girl. All the riches couldn't save Harry's parents or prevent him from murder attempts. I'm all good. :D

Agreed! People learn to adjust to whatever life style they have and make the best of it. Money can be gained and lost, but other important parts of life can't be bought :) 

7 hours ago, marycaryne said:

This has been me today...checking the portals and reminding myself "it's Sunday!" Then repeating the cycle about 20-30 minutes later. I should be working on a paper but I am instead torturing myself on a day I likely wouldn't hear anything anyway. Fun times.

You have spoken right on the money! I have been refreshing my Gmail like insane while telling myself that it's a Sunday. Also, the Gradcafe survey results are driving me nuts, cuz they are posting about their accept/reject results on Sundays, while they got their results on Fridays. I mean, it's bad enough not be receiving emails on Saturdays and Sundays.

39 minutes ago, Nirvik said:

Mad Max won tons of awards. Anybody seen that movie? Any reviews?

I've seen it! Lol. It was confusing for me and my friends at first cause it's like the 4th or 3rd movie of the franchise and we didn't know that when we settled on watching it in the theater. We were like, "???" But it wasn't really super confusing. Just some scenes that connect to previous movies. Other than that, the plot was very straightforward and it's a feminist movie so that's also a plus for me. Also, Nicholas hoult and Tom hardy!! Lol!

Edited by raaawr

52 minutes ago, Nirvik said:

Mad Max won tons of awards. Anybody seen that movie? Any reviews?

I thought it was ok. Yeah, it definitely had the elements of feminism. But overall I viewed it mostly as a 2 hour long car chase with several explosions. In no way would I ever consider it to be Oscar worthy. I really don't get all the hype.

27 minutes ago, raaawr said:

I've seen it! Lol. It was confusing for me and my friends at first cause it's like the 4th or 3rd movie of the franchise and we didn't know that when we settled on watching it in the theater. We were like, "???" But it wasn't really super confusing. Just some scenes that connect to previous movies. Other than that, the plot was very straightforward and it's a feminist movie so that's also a plus for me. Also, Nicholas hoult and Tom hardy!! Lol!

11 minutes ago, marycaryne said:

I thought it was ok. Yeah, it definitely had the elements of feminism. But overall I viewed it mostly as a 2 hour long car chase with several explosions. In no way would I ever consider it to be Oscar worthy. I really don't get all the hype.

So to sum it up, it's the typical Oscar winning movies. Some particular elements of the movie was great, but overall it was Meh, so-so. Got the picture. I will consider watching The Revenant instead.