WINE, WAIT, AND WHINE THREAD

Dr. Brains

Just now, The Interdisciplinarian said:

Nope. And I've been home with a terribly flu several days this week, so of course all I do is refresh my email. :(:(:(

You know, I never realized how big that department is. 

https://www.petersons.com/graduate-schools/bowling-green-state-university-college-of-arts-and-sciences-american-culture-studies-program-000_10041901.aspx

I know that Petersons isn't exactly 100% accurate, but even if it's close, they have a fairly large combined MA/PhD contingent each year.

8 minutes ago, The Interdisciplinarian said:

Februgatory is in its last hours, even if we count up through Monday. I am in the last hour of when I was told notices might go out (a vague "next week" thing last week, and thus we are at the end of it). All hope gone. I just want them to put me out of my misery.

On the plus side, my spouse just got a really awesome job offer this morning, so even if I'm stuck in my current bleak darkness for another year, at least we will be making some phat ca$h. :P

(Honestly, though, I'd live in poverty if I could be living my dream... :(:(:( )

One of my schools told me the result may be out within 2-3 weeks after my interview. Over 5 weeks now and no news come. Sent email one week ago, no response :(

We are in the same boat. I just want to know my final result of that school, even if it is a rejection.

Just now, Neist said:

You know, I never realized how big that department is. 

https://www.petersons.com/graduate-schools/bowling-green-state-university-college-of-arts-and-sciences-american-culture-studies-program-000_10041901.aspx

I know that Petersons isn't exactly 100% accurate, but even if it's close, they have a fairly large combined MA/PhD contingent each year.

I've seen those numbers before, which kind of gave me hope that I'd get in, but I realize a lot of factors play into these sorts of things. :/

1 minute ago, iloveOM said:

One of my schools told me the result may be out within 2-3 weeks after my interview. Over 5 weeks now and no news come. Sent email one week ago, no response :(

We are in the same boat. I just want to know my final result of that school, even if it is a rejection.

I'm so sorry, @iloveOM. I hope we hear something very soon. :(:(

1 minute ago, The Interdisciplinarian said:

I'm so sorry, @iloveOM. I hope we hear something very soon. :(:(

Thanks. Good luck to both of us!

I will send an email to POI who did my interview next week. My previous email asking about my admission status was sent to the Phd program, but no one seemed to care lol.

2 minutes ago, iloveOM said:

That sucks. :( I'd like to hear from RPI. I'm fairly positive that I'm not accepted. Maybe wait listed, but not accepted. I was told by another forum-goer that their meet and greet is next week for accepted students. At this point I'm wish they'd let me know out of courtesy. Then again, maybe they have some highly irregular admissions process. I dunno. I'm confused. They told me they hoped to finalize results by early March. I'll probably email them if I don't hear back by the end of next week-ish.

2 minutes ago, The Interdisciplinarian said:

I've seen those numbers before, which kind of gave me hope that I'd get in, but I realize a lot of factors play into these sorts of things. :/

Yeah, and it's hard to know how many of those are MA students and how many are PhD students. Four-fifths of those acceptances could be MA acceptances.

I went into this process thinking "please just let me have an acceptance ANYWHERE" and now I have interviews and acceptances coming out of my ears. Two of them want to pay for my entire education, and the third has nominated me for a full tuition waiver for at least the first year--it would be free for me to go and learn. I'm at this standstill where I have no idea what I'm going to do. It's one of the most important decisions I will ever make. These are all great programs, I can see myself succeeding in each of them. It's a major problem because everyone is so nice to me. I'm probably going to make a pro/con list for each of them, give them to my mentors, and hash it out with them. My family will have a lot of say as well (probably all of it), since they are moving wherever I move.

Week 6 of 16 for my last semester of undergrad begins next week, though! Which is good--the stress is starting to mount up. I only need 11 units to graduate, but I'm taking 17 (including a capstone for each of my majors) on top of peer mentoring and internship. I'm basically at school/work from 8 AM-7:20 PM every day. I'd get a job on the weekend in order to save up money for when we move cross country (probably going to take out loans for that, ugh) but I really can't right now. I'm so tired.

Also, the impostor syndrome is intensifying. I don't even know if I'll succeed in grad school, even though I'd like to think I will. Grrr.

Hope you all are doing great and getting into programs you want!

48 minutes ago, Neist said:

That sucks. :( I'd like to hear from RPI. I'm fairly positive that I'm not accepted. Maybe wait listed, but not accepted. I was told by another forum-goer that their meet and greet is next week for accepted students. At this point I'm wish they'd let me know out of courtesy. Then again, maybe they have some highly irregular admissions process. I dunno. I'm confused. They told me they hoped to finalize results by early March. I'll probably email them if I don't hear back by the end of next week-ish.

Yeah, and it's hard to know how many of those are MA students and how many are PhD students. Four-fifths of those acceptances could be MA acceptances.

That's why I really like Finland/Poland school systems. They have a clear deadline so that students do not wait in anxiety. Anyway, the good thing about waiting is that our will becomes stronger and sometimes we have unexpected pleasant surprise. That good new can make you happy for days/week :)

4 minutes ago, kingslayer said:

I went into this process thinking "please just let me have an acceptance ANYWHERE" and now I have interviews and acceptances coming out of my ears. Two of them want to pay for my entire education, and the third has nominated me for a full tuition waiver for at least the first year--it would be free for me to go and learn. I'm at this standstill where I have no idea what I'm going to do. It's one of the most important decisions I will ever make. These are all great programs, I can see myself succeeding in each of them. It's a major problem because everyone is so nice to me. I'm probably going to make a pro/con list for each of them, give them to my mentors, and hash it out with them. My family will have a lot of say as well (probably all of it), since they are moving wherever I move.

Week 6 of 16 for my last semester of undergrad begins next week, though! Which is good--the stress is starting to mount up. I only need 11 units to graduate, but I'm taking 17 (including a capstone for each of my majors) on top of peer mentoring and internship. I'm basically at school/work from 8 AM-7:20 PM every day. I'd get a job on the weekend in order to save up money for when we move cross country (probably going to take out loans for that, ugh) but I really can't right now. I'm so tired.

Also, the impostor syndrome is intensifying. I don't even know if I'll succeed in grad school, even though I'd like to think I will. Grrr.

You have done a great job! Relax a little bit before you enter a new chapter of life. Congratulation ! :D

6 hours ago, Nirvik said:

@SLPgradstudent Congratulations! Wish you the very best :)

5 hours ago, Neist said:

I'm a bit late to the party, but congrats @SLPgradstudent! :) Haven't been trolling these boards last day or two as much as I usually do.

Thanks @Nirvik & @Neist!  I've been away recently too.  Trying to do, you know, school work and stuff. :P

Just now, SLPgradstudent said:

Thanks @Nirvik & @Neist!  I've been away recently too.  Trying to do, you know, school work and stuff. :P

Same. :) Been doing a lot of number crunching for cost of living with stipends. Now that I have two funded offers, I figure I should be a little bit subjective about it.

Just now, Neist said:

Same. :) Been doing a lot of number crunching for cost of living with stipends. Now that I have two funded offers, I figure I should be a little bit subjective about it.

Yeah, I hear ya.  I did most of my number crunching before hand.  It wasn't hard, given that I only applied to two schools: one public, one private.  Even if I got funding for the private school, it would still be more expensive than the public school unfunded.  Luckily, I got into my preferred school!

In the end, I think it has to be a gut decision.  Once you have all the information available, what feels right?

16 minutes ago, SLPgradstudent said:

Yeah, I hear ya.  I did most of my number crunching before hand.  It wasn't hard, given that I only applied to two schools: one public, one private.  Even if I got funding for the private school, it would still be more expensive than the public school unfunded.  Luckily, I got into my preferred school!

In the end, I think it has to be a gut decision.  Once you have all the information available, what feels right?

Yup! That's what I'm hoping. The primary difference between my two offers is that they lead to different careers. BGSU would head towards teaching, and I would love to teach, regardless of the level. There's incredibly strong pedagogical training in the PopC program at BGSU. However, OU would give me a MLIS, and as I've already spent about 13 years of my life in libraries (9 years in management), it's not absurd to imagine that getting a MLIS is a good decision. I would be a very, very qualified applicant for entry level jobs that require a MLIS. There's no doubt I could find a job.

Hard decisions. :) I could always get a MLIS after the Pop Culture MA, but it might be unfunded. It's not easy to get funding for MLIS degrees.

Edited by Neist

Me: "Hmm I wonder if I should have a nice beer tonight."

*checks results board*

*sees rejection posted on the results board for the only program I'm waiting to hear back from*

*deep sigh*

*silently walks to fridge*

Edited by gingin6789

1 hour ago, kingslayer said:

The impostor syndrome is exactly what I am going through. There is the very real fear that the committees will see me as some sort of fraud and automatically reject me. And if I get accepted anywhere, I just don't know if I can succeed even though I have a 4.0 for my undergrad (currently in my last term). Between the stress of finishing up my undergrad, especially since I am doing my capstone right now as well, the anxiety over waiting to hear from the schools, and dealing with other issues, I feel like the impostor syndrome has been exacerbated. Ugh.

You are doing awesome! Congratulations on your acceptances!!

Not counting Monday, Februgatory has come to a close. With no resolution. Good thing three of my friends have birthdays this weekend- plenty of excuses to drink. I'm very happy for those who have had a successful showing this cycle... And it's not over yet for the rest of us, either. Though it's pretty much do-or-die for the next 2 weeks, for me. You'd think programs would bother sending something or another out after 3 months, but then again... that's what March is for, according to the past years of the results board.

To those who will have to repeat the process again next year: I cheers to you and your determination tonight.

@marycaryne you will be fine one way or another. Even if things don't pan out right now, you'll get some time to make yourself even more awesome by the next cycle. Keep your head up!

I got an email today saying I'm funny funded for one of my programs, with a PDF of the details. Except the PDF won't download or open or something on my phone, and this hotel doesn't have free WiFi. So I still have no idea what they're offering. But the PDF filename is "Distinguished Dean's Fellowship," so that's probably a sign of good things inside. 

37 minutes ago, pterosaur said:

I got an email today saying I'm funny funded for one of my programs, with a PDF of the details. Except the PDF won't download or open or something on my phone, and this hotel doesn't have free WiFi. So I still have no idea what they're offering. But the PDF filename is "Distinguished Dean's Fellowship," so that's probably a sign of good things inside. 

Oh wow that's amazing! Congratulations!! I hope you are able to open the funding letter soon! 

I still haven't heard anything from any of the schools I've applied to. It is maddening. If one more person asks me if I have heard back I'm going to explode. :angry:

The good news: A new time-wasting game has released today and I sunk 10 hours into it already. It is called Stardew Valley. It is a indie farming simulator on PC inspired by Harvest Moon. If there are any video game nerds out there, check it out! 

The other good news: I'm doing a final check of the article my professor and I worked on and then it will be ready to submit for possible publication. We submitted once and they gave us feedback and asked us to resubmit because they were interested. Hopefully it works this time! 

The other other good news: I leave for Disneyland on Sunday! :D

1 hour ago, pterosaur said:

That's brilliant! Hoping that you get the good news.

14 minutes ago, nka93 said:

I still haven't heard anything from any of the schools I've applied to. It is maddening. If one more person asks me if I have heard back I'm going to explode. :angry:

The good news: A new time-wasting game has released today and I sunk 10 hours into it already. It is called Stardew Valley. It is a indie farming simulator on PC inspired by Harvest Moon. If there are any video game nerds out there, check it out! 

The other good news: I'm doing a final check of the article my professor and I worked on and then it will be ready to submit for possible publication. We submitted once and they gave us feedback and asked us to resubmit because they were interested. Hopefully it works this time! 

The other other good news: I leave for Disneyland on Sunday! :D

Same situation at home here. Everybody's asking if I have heard from anyone. Going crazy saying "No" every time. My good news is similar to your first good news. I am playing Chrono Wars - a full on attempt to keep my mind off of admissions. :D 

The agony! I have become a borderline alcoholic this past month attempting to suppress my anxiety. I can't stop thinking about what they're doing or what they are/were thinking when they read my application. Sheesh. 

I did get an email yesterday from one school requesting that I complete my application for financial aid... I thought it was pretty random. I already completed my FAFSA but they requested I complete a financial aid app for their school specifically. When I got the email I had a minor heart attack because it has been the 1st communication from the school since I applied. Does that mean anything....? I wonder if it means that they are considering me... but they want to look into the funding situation first... otherwise what would be the point?

Gah. I don't know. But it feels good to vent

Normally I have research meetings until pretty late on Friday nights, but this week my professor is out of town, so my friends took me to have the "real college experience", so I went to my first real college party... I much prefer my own college experience instead.

49 minutes ago, gradapplicantinagony said:

The agony! I have become a borderline alcoholic this past month attempting to suppress my anxiety. I can't stop thinking about what they're doing or what they are/were thinking when they read my application. Sheesh. 

I did get an email yesterday from one school requesting that I complete my application for financial aid... I thought it was pretty random. I already completed my FAFSA but they requested I complete a financial aid app for their school specifically. When I got the email I had a minor heart attack because it has been the 1st communication from the school since I applied. Does that mean anything....? I wonder if it means that they are considering me... but they want to look into the funding situation first... otherwise what would be the point?

Gah. I don't know. But it feels good to vent

I got a jump Start when I saw the words "Colorado" and "admissions". Only later did I find out that it's actually from the University of Colorado, Denver, and they are giving application fee waivers to all international students from Feb 21 to Feb 28. Those geniuses sent me the notification on Feb 27. Anyways, their program is not of interest to me, so didn't bother.

37 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

Normally I have research meetings until pretty late on Friday nights, but this week my professor is out of town, so my friends took me to have the "real college experience", so I went to my first real college party... I much prefer my own college experience instead.

Haha. Everyone has one of those real college parties in their lives. I don't drink at all, but I still remember the night when people were drinking everywhere and the whiff of alcohol entering my nose was making me dizzy enough to not be able to see my bus number correctly lol.