WINE, WAIT, AND WHINE THREAD

Dr. Brains

The wait used to be so unbearable in the beginning when I had two rejections under my belt with plenty of lag time in between. But now that I've been accepted to at least one program, it's kind of a dull pain, like a headache you kind of get used to until it starts pounding again. I have five schools left to hear from, and I have half a mind to just a call it quits now and tell the one university that accepted me to count me in!

49 minutes ago, Pokeabun said:

The wait used to be so unbearable in the beginning when I had two rejections under my belt with plenty of lag time in between. But now that I've been accepted to at least one program, it's kind of a dull pain, like a headache you kind of get used to until it starts pounding again. I have five schools left to hear from, and I have half a mind to just a call it quits now and tell the one university that accepted me to count me in!

I know exactly how you feel. When the last school I had nothing from finally gave me my rejection, it was quite nice. :) 

2 hours ago, Pokeabun said:

@Pokeabun - you took the words right out of my mouth! I have one acceptance, with pretty good funding, so the waiting has become slightly more tolerable. But I'm ready to just say the hell with it and accept that offer and tell the rest to piss off.  At least then i could stop holding my breath every time I get a new email!

hello all. Long time lurker here. So I got an interview invite to one of my top schools on Thursday night. The interview was scheduled for Friday afternoon, via skype, with the entire admissions committee of 5.  Typically, I'm a pretty good interviewer. BUT THIS WAS A DISASTER OF EPIC PROPORTIONS! I totally bombed. I wasn't prepared for the questions they asked (though I should have been). I rambled, I was incoherent, I didn't directly address anything that they asked. They all looked confused. I literally wanted to cry about half way through.  The worst part was that there was something wrong with the sound on their end, so I could barely hear them. I kept having to ask them to repeat what they said, and they seemed really annoyed! It seemed like there was a fan or something in their conference room that muffled the sound. I spent half the call trying to read their lips. i tested my skype right before the call and i could hear my friend on the test call perfectly!  But even when I was finally able to figure out what they were saying, I STILL wasn't prepared to answer their questions! Oh, and they basically told me that my research project is ill conceived. I feel like a complete idiot and I just want to crawl under a rock and stay there for 15-20 years. There is a zero percent chance I am going to be admitted after that mess. Maybe this is the universe's way of telling me that this was not the right school for me, and I should go with the other offer that I have?

Anyway, in keeping with this thread title ("wine, wait and whine") I am now chugging a bottle of wine at 11:30am (it's 5 o'clock somewhere right?!). :-/

Edited by HeidiBobine

54 minutes ago, HeidiBobine said:

hello all. Long time lurker here. So I got an interview invite to one of my top schools on Thursday night. The interview was scheduled for Friday afternoon, via skype, with the entire admissions committee of 5.  Typically, I'm a pretty good interviewer. BUT THIS WAS A DISASTER OF EPIC PROPORTIONS! I totally bombed. I wasn't prepared for the questions they asked (though I should have been). I rambled, I was incoherent, I didn't directly address anything that they asked. They all looked confused. I literally wanted to cry about half way through.  The worst part was that there was something wrong with the sound on their end, so I could barely hear them. I kept having to ask them to repeat what they said, and they seemed really annoyed! It seemed like there was a fan or something in their conference room that muffled the sound. I spent half the call trying to read their lips. i tested my skype right before the call and i could hear my friend on the test call perfectly!  But even when I was finally able to figure out what they were saying, I STILL wasn't prepared to answer their questions! Oh, and they basically told me that my research project is ill conceived. I feel like a complete idiot and I just want to crawl under a rock and stay there for 15-20 years. There is a zero percent chance I am going to be admitted after that mess. Maybe this is the universe's way of telling me that this was not the right school for me, and I should go with the other offer that I have?

Anyway, in keeping with this thread title ("wine, wait and whine") I am now chugging a bottle of wine at 11:30am (it's 5 o'clock somewhere right?!). :-/

Heidi, I'm so sorry to hear this!! Take some time to treat yourself for a while. Then, type up a well-written email thanking them for the interview and apologizing for the technical difficulties that happened during the Skype session. But for now ... just take some time away from the application process!!! Enjoy your wine, and try to get a tasty pastry to go with it!

9 hours ago, raaawr said:

So I just binged watch Fuller House the entire day and night. Almost the end of Februgatory and final decisions are expected to be sent on March 15. I have a bad feeling but I would still like to send out my hope to the universe. Lol

How was Fuller House? I started it yesterday! got mostly through episode 1 so far! (I'm slow.)

4 hours ago, Pokeabun said:

1 hour ago, HeidiBobine said:

@Pokeabun - you took the words right out of my mouth! I have one acceptance, with pretty good funding, so the waiting has become slightly more tolerable. But I'm ready to just say the hell with it and accept that offer and tell the rest to piss off.  At least then i could stop holding my breath every time I get a new email!

You spoke what is in my mind right now.

I am so glad that I am in that same position as yours. I was accepted to the school of my 2nd choice with good funding. I could not win the fellowship but it is not a big deal. I am inclined to accept the offer already, but am waiting to see how other schools treat my application. 

1 hour ago, HeidiBobine said:

I can't speak to the specifics of your situation, but I had two interviews this application cycle (my third time applying to PhD programs, mind you).  The first interview was with Emory, and it went extremely well lasted the whole 30 minutes they had scheduled, and then an extra 5 before they had to let me go to interview the next candidate.  The next week I had an interview with UPenn, and it went sooo poorly and lasted only 11 minutes (!!).  I could barely hear what they were saying as there was a sound issue and I had to do the interview on my iPhone because my PC was broken.  At the end they said thank you and that was all of their questions and then it lagged and I said "Thanks good bye I appreciate the opportunity, etc etc."  Then after hanging up I realized they never asked me if I had any questions.  It was at that moment that it dawned on me that when my connection lagged and my interview said "thank you we have no more questions" they *had* to have asked me if I had any, but I missed it all.  I frantically emailed them back with questions, but I for sure thought it was over.

The next week Emory notified me I was rejected and three days later UPenn emailed me with my acceptance.  So while my situation is most definitely different than yours, the moral of the story is don't read too much in the interview.  Although I had a miserable interview last year where the first question was "What would you do if your potential advisor were to die the year you arrived? What would you do if he succumbed to the mortal coil?"  I was floored and did not expect anything like that, and unsurprisingly I was rejected two weeks later.

Interviews...never know what to expect.

Also, I forgot to mention:  I urge those of you who were given offers of admission to input the stipend information, if any, at http://www.phdstipends.com/ for knowledge is power. And, of course, congrats to those who were accepted, it is tremendous accomplishment.  Those who may have been rejected fear not, it took me three years of applying until I was accepted.  Never give up, never surrender.

2 hours ago, ibnbattuta said:

Also, I forgot to mention:  I urge those of you who were given offers of admission to input the stipend information, if any, at http://www.phdstipends.com/ for knowledge is power. And, of course, congrats to those who were accepted, it is tremendous accomplishment.  Those who may have been rejected fear not, it took me three years of applying until I was accepted.  Never give up, never surrender.

I agree about the phdstipends page; it's a great way to decide if you'll be struggling financially or more comfortable (i.e. able to focus on work), so it's only fair to help contribute to that data set! @ibnbattuta is right; congrats, and don't give up to everyone else!

As for waiting, ugh still grumpy that only one school hasn't gotten back to me (and this is the advisor that I basically like most as an person).

But I'm also doubting all my acceptances now (aka waiting on rescinded offers) since recently I feel my command of English has been terrible. Example: at a coffeeshop the other day, I lol'd when I saw they spelled "latte" as "late", and cracked a joke about "hey! luh-TAY! sounds almost like the word 'latte'!" (Finding Nemo fan that I am.) Of course, my gf was like "you dork, that's 'late' as in 'late to class,' which, by the way you are." :P

I've already been admitted to a program I really really like (UVA BIMS), but still waiting to hear from UNC. Interviewed there last weekend.

I went into my interviews on literally 0 hours of sleep... with insomnia for weeks leading up to it. Turns out that my allergy medicine contains a decongestant that is well known to cause insomnia. I found out after my interview and was furious, been sleeping like an angel after I stopped taking it. If I don't get into UNC because of a fucking over the counter medication... ugh! My interviews went well but the paranoia is there. I could barely focus! 

Edited by dinny

5 hours ago, gingin6789 said:

How was Fuller House? I started it yesterday! got mostly through episode 1 so far! (I'm slow.)

I actually enjoyed it haha. I got hooked and didn't do anything but watch it all day. I couldn't do that with the other new netflix series, "Love." I had to stop every couples of minutes cause the main character in the show annoyed me. Haha

5 hours ago, ibnbattuta said:

Thanks for posting this.  Very interesting information on there.

17 hours ago, raaawr said:

So I just binged watch Fuller House the entire day and night. Almost the end of Februgatory and final decisions are expected to be sent on March 15. I have a bad feeling but I would still like to send out my hope to the universe. Lol

I saw above that you liked it... how did it compare to the original? I'm afraid I loved the original too much to ever be able to give Fuller House a chance

26 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

I saw above that you liked it... how did it compare to the original? I'm afraid I loved the original too much to ever be able to give Fuller House a chance

I say give it a shot cause it may be awesome.  I haven't seen it, but its on my list and I also liked the original.  I was also a huge fan of Boy Meets World and the reboot Girl Meets World is wonderful.  Looking forward to the Gilmore Girls reboot as well.

43 minutes ago, MarineBluePsy said:

I say give it a shot cause it may be awesome.  I haven't seen it, but its on my list and I also liked the original.  I was also a huge fan of Boy Meets World and the reboot Girl Meets World is wonderful.  Looking forward to the Gilmore Girls reboot as well.

I'm SO psyched for that Gilmore Girls reboot. I fell for the original SO hard.

19 hours ago, raaawr said:

How was Fuller House? 

Sending out hope vibes to you! I'm still waiting on 4 schools myself... =/

3 minutes ago, PhDinPublicHealthHopeful said:

@PattiJeane Fuller house = terrible. Had some good points, but Stephanie had an English accent, then snapped out of it. Weirddd!

@PhDinPublicHealthHopeful that is super weird. I'm still reeling from the X-Files reboot. I want to like it, I really do. But there was some seriously bad writing and acting. 

Edited by PattiJeane

5 hours ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

It's not bad. The first episode doesn't really count as really part of the show though. It's more like a fan service sketch episode so don't expect too much from it but it's so fun seeing the whole gang back together minus MKA haha. The actual show isn't bad. It's enjoyable in my opinion :) 

5 hours ago, MarineBluePsy said:

Omg! I was the biggest fan of boy meets world too! I like girl meets world as well but BMW was amazing haha.

4 hours ago, PattiJeane said:

How was Fuller House? 

Sending out hope vibes to you! I'm still waiting on 4 schools myself... =/

I enjoyed it! :) give it a go! :)