WINE, WAIT, AND WHINE THREAD

Dr. Brains

2 minutes ago, wishthebest said:

Thank you. I will try them once I am done with POI. The only reason I tried POI was because I was too familiar with the word during application process. 

POI as in Person of Interest? Absolutely LOVE the show, sad that it'll likely be cancelled after this (short) season coming up in late spring/summer. 

1 hour ago, hippyscientist said:

Still waiting to hear from schools but right now I just don't care. One way to cure admissions stress is to have a 5 year long relationship end last night. I have buckets of tea, chocolate and reading for assignments, because let's face it, any work I do right now ain't going to be pretty. I went to buy a sports bra because in all my training and life stress, I've lost a tonne of weight, and on my way back I stepped in dog poo. Please please please tell me you guys are having a better day?

But on the plus side you have a nice new bra! There's not a lot that can beat that new, perfectly fitted bra feel :)

(says someone who is in desperate need of a new bra because I've gained too much weight during this applicaiton process)

1 hour ago, hippyscientist said:

Still waiting to hear from schools but right now I just don't care. One way to cure admissions stress is to have a 5 year long relationship end last night. I have buckets of tea, chocolate and reading for assignments, because let's face it, any work I do right now ain't going to be pretty. I went to buy a sports bra because in all my training and life stress, I've lost a tonne of weight, and on my way back I stepped in dog poo. Please please please tell me you guys are having a better day?

I know the feeling- although mine was just a 2 year deal. Broke up with me right when I needed to assemble and power through all of my applications at the beginning of October. Definitely not the most considerate move, but then again- tact was never one of her strong suits.

Just keep moving with your life trend of working out, kicking intellectual butt, and growing as a person. You'll put yourself in a good place with opportunity for great people and things!

Got an email from Florida State that said "FSU Fall 2016 Admission" so naturally my heart starts pounding. Turns out my phone simply didn't show the entire subject line which was " Admissions Application" (although honestly I'd still be freaking out...). Anyway, it was just to inform me that the review of my application would finish up this week and I'd receive a decision soon after. At least they updated me.

13 minutes ago, marycaryne said:

Got an email from Florida State that said "FSU Fall 2016 Admission" so naturally my heart starts pounding. Turns out my phone simply didn't show the entire subject line which was " Admissions Application" (although honestly I'd still be freaking out...). Anyway, it was just to inform me that the review of my application would finish up this week and I'd receive a decision soon after. At least they updated me.

Argh! Well, best of luck! If you get admitted and decide to go there, I can give you tips on cool places to go!

4 hours ago, The Interdisciplinarian said:

I'm feeling positive about this week, though, as Friday is March 4th, the only date all year that's a complete sentence. Ranking right up there with May the 4th and its connection to the Force.

You can do it, @The Interdisciplinarian!!!!! My pard and I got married on May the 4th so we can say MAY THE FOURTH BE WITH YOU to each other every year like the total dorks we are. Hopefully you find out before then, and avoid Caesar salads maybe?

54 minutes ago, katpillow said:

I know the feeling- although mine was just a 2 year deal. Broke up with me right when I needed to assemble and power through all of my applications at the beginning of October. Definitely not the most considerate move, but then again- tact was never one of her strong suits.

Just keep moving with your life trend of working out, kicking intellectual butt, and growing as a person. You'll put yourself in a good place with opportunity for great people and things!

In general, relationships and applications are hard to manage because there's a real possibility that you'll be up and moving to another state or country. Also, idk about you, but applications turned me into a total basketcase for a couple weeks. I broke up with my ex-boyfriend because I realized I was not in an emotional state to handle someone else's stress of figuring out grad school while I was going through the process myself.  

3 hours ago, hippyscientist said:

oh my goodness!!! *huge hugs* I'm so sorry this happened ... I wish I were there to make you some tea and delicious pastries! I would suggest doing something besides work right now. I'd be one of those people who advises against sitting around in bed eating bonbons to soothe your pain, but chances are, I would definitely be doing that.

If the weather is at all nice outside, consider going outside and simply sitting. Sunshine might just help even a smidge.

17 minutes ago, FoxAndChicken said:

In general, relationships and applications are hard to manage because there's a real possibility that you'll be up and moving to another state or country. Also, idk about you, but applications turned me into a total basketcase for a couple weeks. I broke up with my ex-boyfriend because I realized I was not in an emotional state to handle someone else's stress of figuring out grad school while I was going through the process myself.  

Very true statements, except in my case I'm a 27-year old industry worker who's girlfriend was in consideration for marriage potential, and in all likelihood would have followed in my geographical direction depending on what happened. Heck, I was more stressed out about what had happened than I was about my apps, it was a bad distraction when I needed to be at 120% focus. I get that there's never a good time for these things, and that as a human being, you just have to do what's best for yourself sometimes, but man it was almost the maximal way to deal emotional damage to me, with the timing it had.

1 hour ago, katpillow said:

Once again, I'm bowled over by the supportiveness on this forum - you guys are awesome! Katpillow, I'm sorry you had to go through this too. I think in my heart of hearts, it's the right choice and it certainly frees up options for PhDs and future moves. I'm telling myself I'm allowed til the end of tomorrow to feel really crappy, then onwards and upwards. Allow the emotions now so they don't sneak up and hit me around the head come dissertation defence time!

4 minutes ago, gingin6789 said:

oh my goodness!!! *huge hugs* I'm so sorry this happened ... I wish I were there to make you some tea and delicious pastries! I would suggest doing something besides work right now. I'd be one of those people who advises against sitting around in bed eating bonbons to soothe your pain, but chances are, I would definitely be doing that.

If the weather is at all nice outside, consider going outside and simply sitting. Sunshine might just help even a smidge.

gingin, how are you SO awesome ALL the time on these boards?! I'm definitely taking you up on tea and delicious pastries at some point! I went to classes and then went for a mosey around town earlier, but now it's dark and frozen outside so I'm tucked up in bed with netflix. But gym in the morning, and my mum's coming up (she lives a 3 hour drive away) and taking me out for food and shopping time. I wish I could take time with my work but unfortunately so many deadlines. The delights of a one year intensive masters. 

The thought of maybe moving to Florida (depending on funding) is fuelling me right now. Sunshine. Warmth. Cheap cost of living. :D 

1 hour ago, ihatechoosingusernames said:

But on the plus side you have a nice new bra! There's not a lot that can beat that new, perfectly fitted bra feel :)

(says someone who is in desperate need of a new bra because I've gained too much weight during this applicaiton process)

Haha I wish it fitted. No apparently I don't know my new size and the one I bought is too big!!! Ahhh. Go buy one! Seriously, go do it. The investment makes you feel so much better.

1 minute ago, katpillow said:

Very true statements, except in my case I'm a 27-year old industry worker who's girlfriend was in consideration for marriage potential, and in all likelihood would have followed in my geographical direction depending on what happened. Heck, I was more stressed out about what had happened than I was about my apps, it was a bad distraction when I needed to be at 120% focus. I get that there's never a good time for these things, and that as a human being, you just have to do what's best for yourself sometimes, but man it was almost the maximal way to deal emotional damage to me, with the timing it had.

Awh. I'm sorry. That really sucks. 

2 minutes ago, hippyscientist said:

Once again, I'm bowled over by the supportiveness on this forum - you guys are awesome! Katpillow, I'm sorry you had to go through this too. I think in my heart of hearts, it's the right choice and it certainly frees up options for PhDs and future moves. I'm telling myself I'm allowed til the end of tomorrow to feel really crappy, then onwards and upwards. Allow the emotions now so they don't sneak up and hit me around the head come dissertation defence time!

gingin, how are you SO awesome ALL the time on these boards?! I'm definitely taking you up on tea and delicious pastries at some point! I went to classes and then went for a mosey around town earlier, but now it's dark and frozen outside so I'm tucked up in bed with netflix. But gym in the morning, and my mum's coming up (she lives a 3 hour drive away) and taking me out for food and shopping time. I wish I could take time with my work but unfortunately so many deadlines. The delights of a one year intensive masters. 

The thought of maybe moving to Florida (depending on funding) is fuelling me right now. Sunshine. Warmth. Cheap cost of living. :D 

What are you watching on Netflix? Anything good? This morning I finished Death Parade! I haven't binged an anime in a long time, and that one was SO GOOD. Omg so many feels. If you need a good laugh and a good cry, that one is sure to provide both. 

3 minutes ago, hippyscientist said:

Aw shucks! Thank you! I just like being supportive to my friends!! One day we shall meet in real life and feast on pastries, tea, coffee, and -- in the spirit of the thread -- wine, of course!

Ah yes, the time difference! I'm glad you enjoyed the sun while it was there. I'm glad your mom is visiting, too!! That sounds great! 

YES! Florida is so warm and sunny!! 

3 hours ago, hippyscientist said:

I don't know how I missed this until I was reading some of the replies. I am SO sorry!!! You're welcome to come on over...I keep loads of loose leaf tea all the time. And I'm about to spend some time baking today just to distract my mind so you're welcome to all that goodness too! I mean if there's going to be a sucky situation, we might as well enjoy some good eats!

13 minutes ago, FoxAndChicken said:

Awh. I'm sorry. That really sucks. 

Yeah, but as people like to say- these things happen. I knew the risks I was taking by dating someone who had never been in a serious relationship prior to me. Eventually that curiosity about "what's out there" usually wins, and people seek the answer.... only to discover that it's just more people, who are unique  and bring things to the table. If there was any consolation, it was that she told me she was probably making a big mistake, but she was growing internally more sad the more she resisted answering these existential questions about her life and her relationships. It's just too bad that even if she does end up regretting her choice, it probably won't be in time to reconnect or I might be in too different of a place geographically or romantically. I obviously haven't had enough opportunity to vent about this stuff, otherwise I wouldn't being whining on this thread!

As of now, she's become "the one who got away". I never thought I'd have one of those, but oh well.

6 minutes ago, katpillow said:

Yeah, but as people like to say- these things happen. I knew the risks I was taking by dating someone who had never been in a serious relationship prior to me. Eventually that curiosity about "what's out there" usually wins, and people seek the answer.... only to discover that it's just more people, who are unique  and bring things to the table. If there was any consolation, it was that she told me she was probably making a big mistake, but she was growing internally more sad the more she resisted answering these existential questions about her life and her relationships. It's just too bad that even if she does end up regretting her choice, it probably won't be in time to reconnect or I might be in too different of a place geographically or romantically. I obviously haven't had enough opportunity to vent about this stuff, otherwise I wouldn't being whining on this thread!

As of now, she's become "the one who got away". I never thought I'd have one of those, but oh well.

katpillow, oh this sounds so similar. We were talking about marriage and where to have the honeymoon and all that. He couldn't deal with the distance. He wants us to reconnect later, but I know that's not going to happen, and for now he needs time to explore life. I guess life took us in a different directions. Bring on the new changes and excitement and busyness that grad school offers. 

@marycaryne thank you! You're so sweet :) My mum is actually bringing up my manatee tea infuser and all my loose leaf teas that I left at her house over xmas so I will have all my delicious tea again! 

I've decided to pamper myself tonight - hair, make up, nails, waxing, eyebrows, tan. Everything. If I feel like crap I sure as hell aren't going to look it! 

@hippyscientistOh, man. So sorry to hear that. Having a relationship end especially at such a stressful time is such a double whammy. Just take it one day at a time. I know how much hurt it feels after a 5 year relationship ends but there's always a rainbow after the storm. :) Chocolate, ice cream, and maybe a friends marathon might help. It will be okay sooner than you think. :) 

@marycaryneWhat program did you apply for at FIT? :)

2 minutes ago, hippyscientist said:

katpillow, oh this sounds so similar. We were talking about marriage and where to have the honeymoon and all that. He couldn't deal with the distance. He wants us to reconnect later, but I know that's not going to happen, and for now he needs time to explore life. I guess life took us in a different directions. Bring on the new changes and excitement and busyness that grad school offers. 

I like the spirit! Sorry to hear he didn't have the guff to make the leap, but that's just how these things get sorted when shit's on the line, sometimes. You'll have some good times ahead.

On another note, is there a guy equivalent to getting pampered with nails, tan, etc? I could go for it, whatever it is.

4 hours ago, hippyscientist said:

Aw... hippy... I'm so sorry. I wish that I could make you some tea and cookies right now.

Just now, katpillow said:

I like the spirit! Sorry to hear he didn't have the guff to make the leap, but that's just how these things get sorted when shit's on the line, sometimes. You'll have some good times ahead.

On another note, is there a guy equivalent to getting pampered with nails, tan, etc? I could go for it, whatever it is.

I'm prettty sure that you can get your nails done - a nice manicure, a massage, male face mask? I organise them for my dad all the time! More seriously, uhhh guys night? I'm not sure - other males on this forum want to suggest anything???

12 minutes ago, hippyscientist said:

@marycaryne thank you! You're so sweet :) My mum is actually bringing up my manatee tea infuser and all my loose leaf teas that I left at her house over xmas so I will have all my delicious tea again! 

I've decided to pamper myself tonight - hair, make up, nails, waxing, eyebrows, tan. Everything. If I feel like crap I sure as hell aren't going to look it! 

I got a manicure the day before yesterday to match my hair, and then my mom had a photoshoot. (It's not as relaxing as it sounds. I probably shouldn't complain about not having to pay for my hair and nails being done and then having someone take pictures of me, but I could deal without the three hours of "Adjust that, suck in your stomach, tuck in your arms, they look like whales.") The pictures turned out cool though! http://imgur.com/t9HwYVy,Ony9rW8,JHYVLoF,9A8uC4J

7 minutes ago, katpillow said:

Video games! Though it's not completely the male equivalent, because I play video games all the time and I'm not male. 

7 minutes ago, raaawr said:

Also, I forgot who it was that was asking for series recommendation earlier but might I suggest Elementary and How to get away with murder if you haven't seen them yet. 

OMG Are you caught up on HTGAWM? It's the best. Seriously. 

Edited by FoxAndChicken

I feel kind of torn right now because two years ago I broke up with my ex when he went to grad school at the University of Nebraska (well, a few months afterward anyway). We were planning on getting back together when I went there, but now Cornell... 

Seriously, these things happen. Life happens. There's no saying that even if you stuck close by for graduate school, that you wouldn't have to move away from him for another reason eventually anyway. *hug*

@raaawr I applied for the Global Fashion Management program. I'm not holding out much hope since they tend to give preference to current FIT students. And honestly I don't think I could afford to live there anyway. But hey, a girl can dream and I want to be the one to decline any offer than have them reject me. It's better for my ego. :lol: