WINE, WAIT, AND WHINE THREAD

Dr. Brains

1 hour ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

@The Interdisciplinarian Play music loud and proud with the windows down (bonus if it's under 40 degrees!), drink plenty of energy drinks, stop often, etc. etc. Listen to an audiobook if you want. I prefer to drive overnight for long trips just because there's less traffic, calmer and easier to think, but to each their own. 

Good advice. I don't think I'll do the night driving part, though, just because I have literally watched every season of iD's Disappeared and that's how every woman in every episode winds up kidnapped. :P

Guys, I have huge news, though. I got into my chosen program. Shaking, crying, and in utter disbelief. Much love and good luck to you all, and may the Ides of March be ever in your favor. <3

10 minutes ago, The Interdisciplinarian said:

Good advice. I don't think I'll do the night driving part, though, just because I have literally watched every season of iD's Disappeared and that's how every woman in every episode winds up kidnapped. :P

Guys, I have huge news, though. I got into my chosen program. Shaking, crying, and in utter disbelief. Much love and good luck to you all, and may the Ides of March be ever in your favor. <3

OH MY GOD! YAY! I am so happy for you!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!! 

Whew! just finished preparing my first presentation for the Skype Interview. Not gonna start working on the second right now. I have little to no idea regarding the second topic. Got a 43 page research paper shoved down my face. Need to finish it and get a presentation ready under 2 days. 

Man, interviewing for a TA position is rigorous :(

A tip to those driving long haul who typically don't.... Quick dry workout clothes are your friend. Obviously not the confining underclothes... Just the outerwear. It's breathable and doesn't get sticky in the car... Especially if you have leather/pleather.

1 hour ago, The Interdisciplinarian said:

I'm so happy that you finally heard from them. :D 

1 hour ago, The Interdisciplinarian said:

YAY!!! I'm so happy for you!! Congratulations!!!

2 hours ago, The Interdisciplinarian said:

Congratulations! EEEK! YAY! zootopia_celebrate_05811308.gif

Congrats @The Interdisciplinarian!!

I'm still waiting to hear from Oregon as I see acceptances posted in threads and on the results board, and I've got nada in my inbox or application portal. Oof.

Starting to feel like after nearly 2 years of regrouping and preparing for this application cycle, I'll be left empty handed again.

For the third time in 7 years... 

@The Interdisciplinarian Congrats Congrats Congrats!!!!! Whoop Whoop! 

@BooksCoffeeBeards I mean, it is a future that is not too distant, so.....ya know? I'm sorry you haven't heard back from everyone yet (shame on them), and you're in my thoughts! Sending good vibes your way (imagine Servo doing the wave with his lil arms)!

Also, I am no longer waiting, but really really like this thread. It's the most supportive thread anywhere on the internet. Is it all right if I continue to hang out here?

4 minutes ago, Cat_Robutt said:

@The Interdisciplinarian Congrats Congrats Congrats!!!!! Whoop Whoop! 

@BooksCoffeeBeards I mean, it is a future that is not too distant, so.....ya know? I'm sorry you haven't heard back from everyone yet (shame on them), and you're in my thoughts! Sending good vibes your way (imagine Servo doing the wave with his lil arms)!

Also, I am no longer waiting, but really really like this thread. It's the most supportive thread anywhere on the internet. Is it all right if I continue to hang out here?

Stay please!! I'm starting to get a little sad at the thought of this thread ending. You guys have been so supportive over this incredibly stressful process and although we've never met, I have celebrated your acceptances and commiserated the disappointments. You all feel like friends :) 

5 minutes ago, hippyscientist said:

Stay please!! I'm starting to get a little sad at the thought of this thread ending. You guys have been so supportive over this incredibly stressful process and although we've never met, I have celebrated your acceptances and commiserated the disappointments. You all feel like friends :) 

It's so good to have other people around, so as to not annoy real-life contacts with my constant moaning!

But at the same time, this thread coming to an end means no more waiting, and hopefully upward and forward motion for everybody here! :D

@hippyscientist There's no *blushes* emoji, but that's how I feel! And @Euler that is a positive spin to it, definitely!

Perhaps we could create a new thread post-decision? Where we can occasionally check in and write about how we are doing, what we're up to, etc.?

One of the people who applied to my program said that their POI said that decisions should be made this week.... but it's already wednesday... so I'm not really sure that that will happen. 

1 minute ago, sjoh197 said:

One of the people who applied to my program said that their POI said that decisions should be made this week.... but it's already wednesday... so I'm not really sure that that will happen. 

Yeah a lot of people in my program have already heard unofficial admissions from POIs, but mine has been dishearteningly silent. Every time my phone buzzes and it's just linkedin I have a mini heart attack. 

10 minutes ago, samsonite2pv said:

Yeah a lot of people in my program have already heard unofficial admissions from POIs, but mine has been dishearteningly silent. Every time my phone buzzes and it's just linkedin I have a mini heart attack. 

If it makes you feel any better, I've heard a lot of people say that some professors give out the informal info in advance... and others just don't. I guess it's a personal preference type thing, or maybe a reflection on how busy they are at the moment. So there's still a lot of chance :) 

Checked portal for OSU about an hour or so ago and came across this message...

"The program has completed their review of your application. The Graduate College is reviewing their feedback and will notify you of the final decision via email."

So it could be at any time now for them. I'm both anxious to find out and crazy nervous. It's my safe school, and I'd like to at least be accepted there since I am expecting rejections from at least two others.

33 minutes ago, sjoh197 said:

If it makes you feel any better, I've heard a lot of people say that some professors give out the informal info in advance... and others just don't. I guess it's a personal preference type thing, or maybe a reflection on how busy they are at the moment. So there's still a lot of chance :) 

Thanks sjoh197 :)

I didn't think there could possibly be anything more agonizing than waiting on a response from my top program....until I was wait listed. This is worse. WAY worse!

But, in a small victory, my POI told me that my SOP was "really compelling." Totally made my day!

4 minutes ago, aebh615 said:

I didn't think there could possibly be anything more agonizing than waiting on a response from my top program....until I was wait listed. This is worse. WAY worse!

But, in a small victory, my POI told me that my SOP was "really compelling." Totally made my day!

Very nice!