WINE, WAIT, AND WHINE THREAD

Dr. Brains

On my end, one application status says the program completed their review and will send the decision via email. That was a couple days ago and I was hoping to hear by today. The day isn't over yet and I'm really hoping they can carve out time in their day to click that "send" button because I don't want to go through a painfully slow weekend waiting for Monday to get here. Another school said they'd finish reviewing my application this week and send a decision after that, which I am thinking I won't see until at least the 14th since they are on spring break next week. Not that it will stop me from checking portal every few minutes. I'm not expecting a decision from another until later this month, and the fourth has been radio silent. I will say this is probably the first time in my life that I hate the weekends.

Just now, marycaryne said:

On my end, one application status says the program completed their review and will send the decision via email. That was a couple days ago and I was hoping to hear by today. The day isn't over yet and I'm really hoping they can carve out time in their day to click that "send" button because I don't want to go through a painfully slow weekend waiting for Monday to get here. Another school said they'd finish reviewing my application this week and send a decision after that, which I am thinking I won't see until at least the 14th since they are on spring break next week. Not that it will stop me from checking portal every few minutes. I'm not expecting a decision from another until later this month, and the fourth has been radio silent. I will say this is probably the first time in my life that I hate the weekends.

Good luck! 

41 minutes ago, FoxAndChicken said:

Hi friends! How are you? I was rejected from Princeton this morning, but that's okay. It wasn't a great fit for me, and I'm very enthusiastic about my acceptance with partial funding to CMU. :D

But omg in the facebook group someone posted that they were rejected from Columbia with an email that said:

I'm sorry to report you are not admitted

All best

(Initials)

Sent from my iPhone

OMG I would probably flip a table if I paid a $105 application fee and received that as a response. I didn't apply to Columbia though, so it's okay.

Wow, I don't even know how I would react to that. Maybe a response that's equally inappropriate such as "kthxbai"? Ok not really...but still, I wouldn't be very happy to see something like that.

18 minutes ago, marycaryne said:

I work in a University department that's on Spring break, and we've been fully staffed all week. So, spring break doesn't mean you won't hear! 

42 minutes ago, FoxAndChicken said:

I work in a University department that's on Spring break, and we've been fully staffed all week. So, spring break doesn't mean you won't hear! 

That is good to hear. They sent emails out over a month ago saying that reviews would not be done over spring break, so I hope they actually do complete it this week so I have a chance to hear next week. Otherwise it's an even longer wait.

Yay!! The agony is over! I applied to Georgia Tech and Carnegie Mellon for an MS in HCI. Georgia Tech rejected me and today I was accepted at CMU/Univ of Madeira. I guess I should say that the agony is only partially over because now I have to start with the student loan process... hopefully I can get enough. So much planning to do. I have never lived outside of hot California so moving to Pittsburgh and then Portugal will be very interesting. I am finally getting out of my comfort zone.

I am also wondering if I should still apply to my back up programs (later app deadline) that are cheaper just in case I don't get enough funding - but I don't want to waste money applying hmmm. 

I'm having some serious whiplash watching my first admitted student webinar.  This has been a year-plus-long process of putting together a package to get people to want me... and now the tables have turned.  "PICK US!"

I had an interview where I've been forging a relationship with the faculty- and one in particular since September. Not only was said faculty member not at my interview, the other PI who told me point blank they were going to bat for me took another student...seriously? you tell me you're pretty much set on me but take someone else? I don't get it. Its like going on several dates with a hot guy, then you finally do the deed and they say they cant wait for next time. Now I'm in limbo hell because of my fit. I'm tempted to say F all of that nonsense and just go with my backup plan. At least they didn't dicktease me.

1 hour ago, gradapplicantinagony said:

Yay!! The agony is over! I applied to Georgia Tech and Carnegie Mellon for an MS in HCI. Georgia Tech rejected me and today I was accepted at CMU/Univ of Madeira. I guess I should say that the agony is only partially over because now I have to start with the student loan process... hopefully I can get enough. So much planning to do. I have never lived outside of hot California so moving to Pittsburgh and then Portugal will be very interesting. I am finally getting out of my comfort zone.

I am also wondering if I should still apply to my back up programs (later app deadline) that are cheaper just in case I don't get enough funding - but I don't want to waste money applying hmmm. 

Hey! I was accepted to CMU for an M.S./M.A.!  Are you going to visit CMU? I'm going in about two weeks. Congratulations!

10 minutes ago, magnetite said:

Rejected from one of my top programs at 11:05 pm on a Friday. Three rejections so far, no acceptances, and not enough beer.

So sorry. :( Sulking night for both of us. Got rejected from my safe school this afternoon. Now I am convinced the rest will be rejections as well. I had no desire to go out and get even a bottle of wine tonight.

10 hours ago, ucdguy88 said:

I had an interview where I've been forging a relationship with the faculty- and one in particular since September. Not only was said faculty member not at my interview, the other PI who told me point blank they were going to bat for me took another student...seriously? you tell me you're pretty much set on me but take someone else? I don't get it. Its like going on several dates with a hot guy, then you finally do the deed and they say they cant wait for next time. Now I'm in limbo hell because of my fit. I'm tempted to say F all of that nonsense and just go with my backup plan. At least they didn't dicktease me.

Yikes that's awful.  Have you spoken to this faculty since?  Maybe there was something so amazing about the student they chose that they just couldn't overlook them.  I doubt knowing what it was will make you feel better now, but it might help you improve your application next time around if you need to reapply.  I will say that this possibility is exactly why I opted not to reach out to professors before applying.  I didn't want to misinterpret their statements or be directly told I was their top choice only to be disappointed later.

Good news on my end!

Pittsburgh put me on their wait list, only 8 days after they realized they needed to look at my application! ("You were 2 weeks past the deadline, but we didn't look at why...oh, it was 'cause of your recommenders being late? Yeah we'll try to get to it")

Maryland told me I'll hear back sometime next week or so; someone else said JMU will announce by the 18th; Penn State hasn't responded to my email. But still, having timelines and one nonrejection is good enough for me right now.

I have hope again!

I went the wine route last night.... woke up with a text from a number I don't know (time stamp 3 AM) which simply said "call me". Not sure if ominous.

7 hours ago, MarineBluePsy said:

Yikes that's awful.  Have you spoken to this faculty since?  Maybe there was something so amazing about the student they chose that they just couldn't overlook them.  I doubt knowing what it was will make you feel better now, but it might help you improve your application next time around if you need to reapply.  I will say that this possibility is exactly why I opted not to reach out to professors before applying.  I didn't want to misinterpret their statements or be directly told I was their top choice only to be disappointed later.

I haven't since the faculty let me know to be patient and thanking me for it. Its infuriating because honestly the only thing that would break our tie might be GRE scores? I was told this *after* the interview day (the whole hey Im gonna take you dont worry!) was done so unless something amazing changed within interviewing both of us, I doubt it. Its really left a  bad taste in my mouth, and every part of me wants to ask "what the hell did I do wrong?" but, its best to keep it professional and not ask more questions I suppose. I reached out to a lot of campuses and pre-screened potential PI's who were very excited for me to apply (also to check how their mentoring style and personality was, because some can be really horrible), but when I re-took my GRE and the scores weren't up to par, I was flat out told " you don't stand a chance here" by some, to "apply and see", by others. I'm frustrated because I know my credentials otherwise are pretty darn good. I think my back up plan for a second masters is going to work but who knows. Thanks for your insight =) 

Right now I just want that little email to pop into my inbox telling me that I've got funding. I just want to start planning moving. There's going to be SO much to organise in such a little space of time. I've had to move my deadline for my research forward a month in order to move to the US early enough to find housing, get a drivers license, buy a car and get settled before classes start. As it is, I'll be handing in my research paper on one day and 2 days later moving countries. My friends are understandably pissed off that they're not going to be able to hang out with me before I go but I have zero time unless they can come visit me for an afternoon. Which is a lot to ask seeing as they're a 5 hour drive away and I can't put them up. Agh. Sorry venting time. I'm all ready to get going with finalising plans but I need that funding email!! If I don't get it...well job search it is!!!

On 1/4/2016 at 0:55 PM, Effloresce said:

I think this weekend will be a wine and video games weekend.

I hear that, box wine Vella red and French Skyrim here. Also, thank goodness I graduated in December so I don't even have to worry about Monday beyond a for fun German class on Monday.

For all you wine whiners, it's actually pretty good. I highly recommend it for anyone looking for something to keep something around in bulk.

On 1/5/2016 at 5:58 PM, artsy16 said:

@piglet33 I think I have an "allergy" (or whatever the proper term is) to red wines.

If that's the case, you've probably got a sensitivity to either the histamines or the tannins. There are some low histamine reds in case those are the culprit, you just need to do some research and shop around first.

On 1/4/2016 at 3:34 PM, 123hardasABC said:

New drinking game. 

1.) Watch Friends 

2.) Whenever the laugh track goes off, drink. 

b-but, I don't want to die..

12 hours ago, hippyscientist said:

Right now I just want that little email to pop into my inbox telling me that I've got funding. I just want to start planning moving. There's going to be SO much to organise in such a little space of time. I've had to move my deadline for my research forward a month in order to move to the US early enough to find housing, get a drivers license, buy a car and get settled before classes start. As it is, I'll be handing in my research paper on one day and 2 days later moving countries. My friends are understandably pissed off that they're not going to be able to hang out with me before I go but I have zero time unless they can come visit me for an afternoon. Which is a lot to ask seeing as they're a 5 hour drive away and I can't put them up. Agh. Sorry venting time. I'm all ready to get going with finalising plans but I need that funding email!! If I don't get it...well job search it is!!!

My thought is that if my friends realize what is going on in my life and know huge changes are coming my way, then they also know my time is limited and it's up to them to make it a priority to see me. Even if they're five hours away, it's not a lot to ask if they're "pissed" about it. If they're upset, they'll make the time for you, even if you can't put them up. Otherwise don't worry about them and just focus on you. That's just my take on it.

22 hours ago, ucdguy88 said:

I haven't since the faculty let me know to be patient and thanking me for it. Its infuriating because honestly the only thing that would break our tie might be GRE scores? I was told this *after* the interview day (the whole hey Im gonna take you dont worry!) was done so unless something amazing changed within interviewing both of us, I doubt it. Its really left a  bad taste in my mouth, and every part of me wants to ask "what the hell did I do wrong?" but, its best to keep it professional and not ask more questions I suppose. I reached out to a lot of campuses and pre-screened potential PI's who were very excited for me to apply (also to check how their mentoring style and personality was, because some can be really horrible), but when I re-took my GRE and the scores weren't up to par, I was flat out told " you don't stand a chance here" by some, to "apply and see", by others. I'm frustrated because I know my credentials otherwise are pretty darn good. I think my back up plan for a second masters is going to work but who knows. Thanks for your insight =) 

Yes of course keep it professional whether you choose to inquire about not being selected or not.  So are you still in the running at some other places?  I dunno it just seems like if you continued doing research and published/presented then you could save the money on a second Master's.  Are there labs/professors at UCD that would let you do that?  

I don't know anything about the GRE expectations for Neuroscience, but the comments you were given about your scores aren't encouraging at all.  Just doing research instead of a second Master's would likely give you more time to prepare for the GRE again.

Reposting this here mainly because I'm going insane

"Hey everyone, first time poster. A little bit about me, I'm applying for a dual degree at my local university for an M.A. in Economics and an M.S. in global policy. The program I'm aiming for isn't even like Top 100, but I know the economics department very well. My GPA is a 3.2 and I raised incrementally the more I completed degree. I never failed a class and my lowest grade was a C. I eventually started getting more As than Bs.

I have a lot of research experience, both solo and under a professor. Im currently an undergrad research assistant and I had an unrelated publications pertaining to some first amendment case law. I also have noted my software skills. I know how to use LaTeX, EViews, R, MATLAB, and Filemaker Pro very well and I've gotten some competitive merit scholarships.

As I said before the department knows me very well and I have three letters from people who said that they wrote very positive letters (my own words). I elected not to see them and my adviser sent me an email letter saying he sent it and he looked forward to hearing about my success in college.

The thing is, I'm a very controlling person and I usually want to know what is going on with my application. I haven't pestered the committee or anything because I know that is wrong, but I get heavy anxiety not knowing how I measure up. I took my GRE and on the verbal I landed in the 71% percentile, quant was 40%, and my analytical was 93%. I'm literally all over the place. Because of my verbal and analytical Im pretty sure I got into the global program because it isn't really math intensive but im still scared about my econ letter.

I have everything going for me to get in besides my low quant score, and everyone says I will get in, but is it true? Id be okay with not getting funding for my first year because once I get in I plan do to very well which would hopefully put me in the pool of applicants for it. I just really want to know how my application looks in the grand scheme of things, taking into account that Im not currently aiming for a high ranked program."