WINE, WAIT, AND WHINE THREAD

Dr. Brains

Waiting and waiting for a decision from my last school. It's agony. Checking email/portal 20 times a day. I'd go if I got in.

There is an acceptance for the school on the results board from 20 days ago, but I haven't received anything from them yet. :(

9 hours ago, Pokeabun said:

Mine have come in from anywhere between 1 am and 6 am due to time zones... So mine will never come in the afternoon unless someone decides to send me an email at 4am for whatever reason. But thank you anyways :) I actually checked this morning and got an acceptance! That only leaves 4 more. (let the cycle repeat)

Hey, congrats! Well at least you don't have to spend the rest of the day worrying about it! Way to go 

18 hours ago, sjoh197 said:

So I thought I would be all worry free having an acceptance now.... but I don't know anything about funding or even what project I would be working on.... nothing. I need to just step away from the computer for a while. 

Take a deep breath and try and relax. Bask in the happiness of being accepted. A lot to schools don't offer funding until the end of March/early April. It will all work out. :)

On 2/25/2016 at 5:10 PM, Need Coffee in an IV said:

Meh I guess, I reserve the right to be bitter until tomorrow ha. I guess it was a blow since I felt like Kansas was one of the schools I thought I had a reasonable chance. Now I'm definitely worried about Texas Tech and IUPUI.

I was rejected last year by KU for the MSW program, so I emailed them and called on the phone to find out why and what I could do to improve my application. They were very reasonable and I understood their decision. This year I decided to stick to my roots and applied for a different program at the school. I am still waiting to hear but my chances in this field are much greater. I would highly recommend you contact KU and ask what they were looking for and what you could have done better. It always helps to know why in my opinion.

12 minutes ago, thepinkdragon76 said:

Take a deep breath and try and relax. Bask in the happiness of being accepted. A lot to schools don't offer funding until the end of March/early April. It will all work out. :)

Hahah... I was so excited when it happened that I just pushed the accept button right away.... I know that that is sooo bad. But this was my only application and only chance at my dream. So I knew I was going to accept no matter what the financial offer is. I just want to be able to tell my dad about it with financial info in hand... since I know that's what he'll be worried about. 

1 minute ago, sjoh197 said:

Hahah... I was so excited when it happened that I just pushed the accept button right away.... I know that that is sooo bad. But this was my only application and only chance at my dream. So I knew I was going to accept no matter what the financial offer is. I just want to be able to tell my dad about it with financial info in hand... since I know that's what he'll be worried about. 

Completely understandable since my husband told me if I don't get funding I can't go. HAH says me. I will find a way, if accepted. Think positive.

4 minutes ago, thepinkdragon76 said:

Completely understandable since my husband told me if I don't get funding I can't go. HAH says me. I will find a way, if accepted. Think positive.

Over the holidays, my father said "If it cost 20 grand a year... it costs 20 grand a year." But I really hope I got decent funding and don't have to ask for anything.

I have to go get a root canal and crown today... and the $600-800 price range is making me cringe. 

1 minute ago, sjoh197 said:

Over the holidays, my father said "If it cost 20 grand a year... it costs 20 grand a year." But I really hope I got decent funding and don't have to ask for anything.

I have to go get a root canal and crown today... and the $600-800 price range is making me cringe. 

Yuck, I hate dental work, especially that kind. It will work out. Make sure to look for under advertised scholarships and apply for them.

:o I just got another financial aid email. This is getting weird. I haven't gotten notice yet of acceptance or denial. UGH!!!!!!

RE: No Action Required: You are meeting Satisfactory Academic Progress standards

** If you have graduated, please disregard this notice**

Dear XXXXXX,

You are meeting or exceeding the minimum academic standards for financial aid eligibility. This is an informational notice only and requires no action on your part.

WHAT IS SATISFACTORY ACADEMIC PROGRESS?

Financial aid recipients must meet the university's Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) standards to maintain eligibility for financial aid. SAP is based upon review of three areas: completion rate, cumulative KU GPA, and time-frame for completing your degree. Financial Aid & Scholarships will continue to monitor your status on a semester basis. You can check your SAP status online by logging into your Student Center on Enroll & Pay (https://sa.ku.edu) and clicking the Satisfactory Academic Progress link under Accept/Decline Awards. For SAP policy details and definitions please see - http://affordability.ku.edu/financialaid/sap. Note that SAP standards are not identical to the academic standards of the university or of any professional school or department.

HOW DOES SATISFACTORY ACADEMIC PROGRESS AFFECT FINANCIAL AID?

You must be meeting SAP to receive federal and state financial aid. SAP standards are not the same as the renewal criteria for departmental or private scholarships, graduate teaching or research assistantships, sponsorships, or other types of fee waivers. Students receiving scholarships should review the renewal criteria for those specific awards. Meeting SAP standards does not guarantee eligibility for these awards.

Changes to your course enrollment on or after the first day of classes could affect your financial aid eligibility. Contact Financial Aid & Scholarships prior to making changes to your schedule.

Please contact our office or stop by the KU Visitor Center if you have any questions. We wish you the best as you continue your education at KU.

Sincerely,

Financial Aid & Scholarships | KU Visitor Center

(785) 864-4700 | financialaid@ku.edu | affordability.ku.edu

Hi friends! How's it going? I've decided to change my name for graduate school. (And by that, I mean, I'm going by my middle name, which is Elizabeth, though I also will accept Eliza as a shortening of this.) I'm not sure what steps I need to take for this, but I started telling the starbucks barista to call me that, so that's going well. 

19 minutes ago, FoxAndChicken said:

Hi friends! How's it going? I've decided to change my name for graduate school. (And by that, I mean, I'm going by my middle name, which is Elizabeth, though I also will accept Eliza as a shortening of this.) I'm not sure what steps I need to take for this, but I started telling the starbucks barista to call me that, so that's going well. 

For your records I would do nothing, just tell people you prefer to be called by your middle name or nickname,

20 minutes ago, FoxAndChicken said:

Ohh name changes are always fun! I changed mine at school because there were 2 of us with the same nickname (I have a relatively uncommon name). I then decided I didn't like it (a celebrity who shared the same name did some silly stuff) so I changed it at university, but now I've reverted back to the nickname I had at school because it's just more me! The only ones who may have a problem are those who've known you a long time. No one else is really going to care if you're just shifting to using your middle name. I was called Harmony for a year (like as far away from my actual name as possible). Just start telling people to call you Eliza/elizabeth. Also, get used to hearing it!!!

36 minutes ago, thepinkdragon76 said:

:o I just got another financial aid email. This is getting weird. I haven't gotten notice yet of acceptance or denial. UGH!!!!!!

RE: No Action Required: You are meeting Satisfactory Academic Progress standards

** If you have graduated, please disregard this notice**

Dear XXXXXX,

You are meeting or exceeding the minimum academic standards for financial aid eligibility. This is an informational notice only and requires no action on your part.

WHAT IS SATISFACTORY ACADEMIC PROGRESS?

Financial aid recipients must meet the university's Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) standards to maintain eligibility for financial aid. SAP is based upon review of three areas: completion rate, cumulative KU GPA, and time-frame for completing your degree. Financial Aid & Scholarships will continue to monitor your status on a semester basis. You can check your SAP status online by logging into your Student Center on Enroll & Pay (https://sa.ku.edu) and clicking the Satisfactory Academic Progress link under Accept/Decline Awards. For SAP policy details and definitions please see - http://affordability.ku.edu/financialaid/sap. Note that SAP standards are not identical to the academic standards of the university or of any professional school or department.

HOW DOES SATISFACTORY ACADEMIC PROGRESS AFFECT FINANCIAL AID?

You must be meeting SAP to receive federal and state financial aid. SAP standards are not the same as the renewal criteria for departmental or private scholarships, graduate teaching or research assistantships, sponsorships, or other types of fee waivers. Students receiving scholarships should review the renewal criteria for those specific awards. Meeting SAP standards does not guarantee eligibility for these awards.

Changes to your course enrollment on or after the first day of classes could affect your financial aid eligibility. Contact Financial Aid & Scholarships prior to making changes to your schedule.

Please contact our office or stop by the KU Visitor Center if you have any questions. We wish you the best as you continue your education at KU.

Sincerely,

Financial Aid & Scholarships | KU Visitor Center

(785) 864-4700 | financialaid@ku.edu | affordability.ku.edu

Do you go to KU now? I can't remember.... 

If so.... SAP is used by accredited universities to report to the government whether you are still meeting the guidelines to be eligible to fafsa student aid and state or federally owned scholarships. 

8 minutes ago, sjoh197 said:

Do you go to KU now? I can't remember.... 

If so.... SAP is used by accredited universities to report to the government whether you are still meeting the guidelines to be eligible to fafsa student aid and state or federally owned scholarships. 

No, I haven't been accepted yet. This is the second email from them in 24 hours. It is getting really weird. LOL I am in freak out mode. I know it could be a fluke but the way they are sending them is weird too. They always start with a header with my email and an RE and Dear...

I submitted my FAFSA in February. Staff was reviewing my application starting on the 4th of March. Then yesterday these emails started.

Edited by thepinkdragon76
More info

24 minutes ago, FoxAndChicken said:

I told my mom and partner(Mr. Boley) that I was eventually going to get to change my name to Dr. Mrs. Boley... but that I didn't know which would come first... the Dr. or the Mrs. Boley part.  Lol. 

1 minute ago, hippyscientist said:

Ohh name changes are always fun! I changed mine at school because there were 2 of us with the same nickname (I have a relatively uncommon name). I then decided I didn't like it (a celebrity who shared the same name did some silly stuff) so I changed it at university, but now I've reverted back to the nickname I had at school because it's just more me! The only ones who may have a problem are those who've known you a long time. No one else is really going to care if you're just shifting to using your middle name. I was called Harmony for a year (like as far away from my actual name as possible). Just start telling people to call you Eliza/elizabeth. Also, get used to hearing it!!!

Yeah. My full name is Sarah Elizabeth Viera-Patron,  and I wanted to go by something less ethnic sounding (because it doesn't really represent me. Identity issues with being half-Mexican and stuff), but Sarah Viera sounds very ... ditzy. Sarah Patron would make me Dr. Patron (because it's pronounced like the tequila) and that would make me sound like a bad DJ. So I want to publish as Elizabeth Viera. 

Here is yesterday's email:

RE: FAFSA Received by KU

Dear XXXXXX,

We have received your 2016-17 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

We will begin emailing award notifications in late March. You may then view and accept or decline your financial aid awards at sa.ku.edu using your KU online ID.

For additional information, please contact the Financial Aid and Scholarships office at (785) 864-4700, financialaid@ku.edu or stop by the KU Visitor Center at 1502 Iowa Street.

Sincerely,

Financial Aid & Scholarships

1502 Iowa St.

Lawrence, KS  66045

(785) 864-4700

(785) 864-5469 (FAX)

financialaid@ku.edu

affordability.ku.edu

Questions about Financial Aid? Visit http://ku.financialaidtv.com

Find us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/ku.finaid.scholarships

Just now, FoxAndChicken said:

Yeah. My full name is Sarah Elizabeth Viera-Patron,  and I wanted to go by something less ethnic sounding (because it doesn't really represent me. Identity issues with being half-Mexican and stuff), but Sarah Viera sounds very ... ditzy. Sarah Patron would make me Dr. Patron (because it's pronounced like the tequila) and that would make me sound like a bad DJ. So I want to publish as Elizabeth Viera. 

See I like Dr. Patron! But that's just me, I have a thing for words that can be interpreted multiple ways. You have a very beautiful name btw. At the end of the day, you gotta do what's going to work for you, so if Elizabeth Viera is going to be the option you feel most comfortable with, go for it!

3 minutes ago, hippyscientist said:

See I like Dr. Patron! But that's just me, I have a thing for words that can be interpreted multiple ways. You have a very beautiful name btw. At the end of the day, you gotta do what's going to work for you, so if Elizabeth Viera is going to be the option you feel most comfortable with, go for it!

When I need gifts for people, I give them small bottles of the tequila. (If they're at least 21.)