WINE, WAIT, AND WHINE THREAD

Dr. Brains

I reached out to one of the schools, and it turns out I'm in a good spot but need a faculty member to pick me up. Sent out naggy (not really since the last time we corresponded was December) emails to POIs and am hoping for the best.

7 minutes ago, rhombusbombus said:

Is it rude to accept an offer without waiting for the other ones to come in? I just want to be finished and announce to the world which school I'm marrying for next few years!

It's not really rude, but if you right now had acceptances from the ones you're waiting on, would you consider them? If so, I'd hold off until you hear back. But if you're 100% sold on another offer, and you know it would be your top choice regardless, there's no harm in turning down the rest.

3 hours ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:
3 hours ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

I'd say that's great. It's not childish... what would be childish is to reject their money just to save your own ego. 

I'd say that's great. It's not childish... what would be childish is to reject their money just to save your own ego. 

Ok wasn't thinking of my ego,but  thanks.

5 hours ago, Need Coffee in an IV said:

Another one bites the dust! I'm not upset about being rejected from UNC, it was a bad fit. Would it be crazy to go to a grad school without guarantee funding? Also my mom recently told me my grandparents set aside money for my education and she was saving it if I went to grad school. Idk, on one hand its smart to not take out any loans. But it feels almost childish to accept that? What do you guys think?

It'd be foolish not to take the money which was clearly set aside for your future.  If your mom was smart enough to save it for grad school its because she knew you'd really need it then.  If your grandparents had a problem with that plan or intended to hold it over your head then you'd have known about this ages ago.

3 minutes ago, MarineBluePsy said:

It'd be foolish not to take the money which was clearly set aside for your future.  If your mom was smart enough to save it for grad school its because she knew you'd really need it then.  If your grandparents had a problem with that plan or intended to hold it over your head then you'd have known about this ages ago.

Not really since my grandparents have been dead for over 10 years. And tbh I would find it foolish to blindly accept it without thinking about all certain kinds of situations. My family has a funny relationship with money so I think its smart on my part to think things through. Then again I didn't fully explain my family life here.

39 minutes ago, Euler said:

It's not really rude, but if you right now had acceptances from the ones you're waiting on, would you consider them? If so, I'd hold off until you hear back. But if you're 100% sold on another offer, and you know it would be your top choice regardless, there's no harm in turning down the rest.

Well, I've already made my decision. It's got the best fit and funding of all of my choices. One school is waiting on a fellowship for me to come through and the other one is just dragging their feet. So I'm not picking a school just to be done, I'm picking the school I really want to be at that just happened to have all of the necessary documents ready early.

I'm going to try to hold off until March 15th.

11 minutes ago, rhombusbombus said:

I'm going to try to hold off until March 15th.

I've (clearly) already made my choice too. I'm waiting until I get my last rejection (which should be next week) + after admitted students day (just to make sure it's the right place for me) to make it official. 

1 hour ago, Puffer Fish said:

Good news: I got a response from a second school, finally.

Bad news: it was another rejection.

RIP my hopes and dreams

I'm so sorry to hear that! Were you accepted to any other schools? Either way, their loss.;)

1 hour ago, Puffer Fish said:

RIP my hopes and dreams

I'm so sorry to hear that! Did you receive interviews to other programs? Either way, their loss.

I've been lurking since early February, and even though I've been admitted to my program of choice I want to wait it out with people who are still hopeful! I guess I'm still in shock about being admitted. It's something you've been wanting for a long time, but once it finally happens it's so unreal. I still haven't even cried.. I'm so overjoyed that I can't even show it. I don't know how. I just want that feeling for everyone. There are some very motivated people on this forum and I hate that so many have to wait in pain. I guess it's all apart of the process though.

21 minutes ago, crazy4science said:

I'm so sorry to hear that! Did you receive interviews to other programs? Either way, their loss.

Nope! I received a rejection email from WVU, and had to log in to the portal to see the rejection from UVA. Everyone else has been radio silent, except for Pittsburgh, who responded to the email I sent them, and informed me that they may not even view my application since it was completed two weeks late...though they would try since they saw that it was due to my recommenders failing to turn things in on time.

Maryland doesn't do interviews for my program, and I don't know if any of the others do.

16 minutes ago, Puffer Fish said:

Nope! I received a rejection email from WVU, and had to log in to the portal to see the rejection from UVA. Everyone else has been radio silent, except for Pittsburgh, who responded to the email I sent them, and informed me that they may not even view my application since it was completed two weeks late...though they would try since they saw that it was due to my recommenders failing to turn things in on time.

Maryland doesn't do interviews for my program, and I don't know if any of the others do.

They better look at that application if they're going to keep your money for it! I understand deadlines are deadlines, but when everything on your end was done on time, and recommendations were the only missing part, that's ridiculous. Clearly it hasn't slowed down their process.

Of the nine decisions I'm waiting for, one I got an invite for a visit, one asked for me to email an image of the unofficial GRE page (that was a little weird) and also sent me fellowship application forms, and the missing seven have been 100% silent. It seems like the general time frame where schools send decisions varies drastically by program.

It's great that you can check to see if the schools have sent out any information to other applicants on this site- it saves a lot of heartache knowing I'm still you're still at least in the running.

2 hours ago, Puffer Fish said:

RIP my hopes and dreams

Ugh that sucks. I'm sorry!

18 minutes ago, Euler said:

They better look at that application if they're going to keep your money for it! I understand deadlines are deadlines, but when everything on your end was done on time, and recommendations were the only missing part, that's ridiculous. Clearly it hasn't slowed down their process.

Of the nine decisions I'm waiting for, one I got an invite for a visit, one asked for me to email an image of the unofficial GRE page (that was a little weird) and also sent me fellowship application forms, and the missing seven have been 100% silent. It seems like the general time frame where schools send decisions varies drastically by program.

It's great that you can check to see if the schools have sent out any information to other applicants on this site- it saves a lot of heartache knowing I'm still you're still at least in the running.

The silence really bothers me when it comes to the money we gave them. If they take our money, they could at least have the decency to give a response. And the same with reviewing applications. I'm not particularly keen on just giving away free money. I want some sort of result from it, even if it is a rejection.

11 minutes ago, marycaryne said:

The silence really bothers me when it comes to the money we gave them. If they take our money, they could at least have the decency to give a response. And the same with reviewing applications. I'm not particularly keen on just giving away free money. I want some sort of result from it, even if it is a rejection.

There could definitely be some better communication, but at the same time I know it's rough on their end as well. But even just a small "Hey, everybody, we're sending out decisions in the next week" is great, and so few programs do that.

Emailed my POI yesterday and he is going to put in a good word to the program chair for me since my application is being reviewed by the committee. This is agonizing. Knowing their process, I'm sure the electronic vote will not be unanimous and someone is going to have to make a case for or against me to sway the rest at a meeting; which means they will be picking apart my application piece by piece. UGH lol

Well, I doubt that I will have any word today.... maybe next week. But at least it should be a good weekend/next week. 

1. Our new kitty should come home either this weekend or early next week. And its my kitty's birthday tomorrow. Yay.

2. My partner bought me a beautiful Brazilian Raintree Bonsai and it should get here next week. He was so excited that he couldn't even wait for it to get here to tell me. 

3. We're going to IKEA this weekend to hopefully pick out a coffee table after 9 months of putting our cups on the floor.

4. I just bought the most beautiful clump of shasta daisies and my desert rose is blooming... so it finally looks like spring. 

So guys, I just got back from Disneyland. I rode my first roller coaster (California Screamin'), went on Pirates 5 times, and went on Hyperspace Mountain twice. Such fun! My calves are super sore though.

On the grad school front, I finally have news. I was rejected from one school on Monday (while I was at Disney surrounded by wonderful distractions) and accepted to another this morning! The school I was accepted to is more prestigious than the one that rejected me, so go figure! Nice to finally hear something and know I have at least one option. The bad part is that they wont have funding info until the summer. The good part is that they find some aid for almost everyone who wants it and I should qualify for student loans if I end up wanting to take that route. Two more schools to go!

Making travel plans is terrifying! Especially since I don't have a car, and that means I have to take two flights and two bus trips. The bus part scares me, since I've never done that before...

Hi friends! How are you? I was rejected from Princeton this morning, but that's okay. It wasn't a great fit for me, and I'm very enthusiastic about my acceptance with partial funding to CMU. :D

But omg in the facebook group someone posted that they were rejected from Columbia with an email that said:

I'm sorry to report you are not admitted

All best

(Initials)

Sent from my iPhone

OMG I would probably flip a table if I paid a $105 application fee and received that as a response. I didn't apply to Columbia though, so it's okay.

3 minutes ago, FoxAndChicken said:

Hi friends! How are you? I was rejected from Princeton this morning, but that's okay. It wasn't a great fit for me, and I'm very enthusiastic about my acceptance with partial funding to CMU. :D

But omg in the facebook group someone posted that they were rejected from Columbia with an email that said:

All best

(Initials)

Sent from my iPhone

OMG I would probably flip a table if I paid a $105 application fee and received that as a response. I didn't apply to Columbia though, so it's okay.

Oh goodness! Maybe they were only allowed to send emails with 10 words or fewer? That's the only reason I could ever imagine an email like that would be appropriate.

Somebody needs to be fired :P

8 minutes ago, FoxAndChicken said:

All best

(Initials)

Sent from my iPhone

Maybe they confused email with Twitter? 

Just now, nka93 said:

Maybe they confused email with Twitter? 

I don't even know. 

5 minutes ago, Euler said:

Oh goodness! Maybe they were only allowed to send emails with 10 words or fewer? That's the only reason I could ever imagine an email like that would be appropriate.

Somebody needs to be fired :P

Somebody appears to be a professor. :( But they should treat people with more dignity.