WINE, WAIT, AND WHINE THREAD

Dr. Brains

Another one bites the dust! I'm not upset about being rejected from UNC, it was a bad fit. Would it be crazy to go to a grad school without guarantee funding? Also my mom recently told me my grandparents set aside money for my education and she was saving it if I went to grad school. Idk, on one hand its smart to not take out any loans. But it feels almost childish to accept that? What do you guys think?

@samsonite2pv thanks, and hopefully they responded me in a good way to you reaching out. As for me, I'll take all the luck I can get... though at this point it feels like I've worked too hard only to have luck play the deciding role (I think that goes for everyone here, though).

18 minutes ago, Need Coffee in an IV said:

Another one bites the dust! I'm not upset about being rejected from UNC, it was a bad fit. Would it be crazy to go to a grad school without guarantee funding? Also my mom recently told me my grandparents set aside money for my education and she was saving it if I went to grad school. Idk, on one hand its smart to not take out any loans. But it feels almost childish to accept that? What do you guys think?

I know a fair number of people who received this treatment for undergrad. Getting it for grad school instead is a much better deal, and would enable you to financially excel earlier on after completing grad studies. They set aside that money with the intention of enabling you, so don't think of it as childish- it's truly a generous and loving gesture. Pay it forward to your grandkids?

1 minute ago, katpillow said:

I know a fair number of people who received this treatment for undergrad. Getting it for grad school instead is a much better deal, and would enable you to financially excel earlier on after completing grad studies. They set aside that money with the intention of enabling you, so don't think of it as childish- it's truly a generous and loving gesture. Pay it forward to your grandkids?

Thanks for that! I was thinking the same thing, but I wanted to get non-bias opinions on the matter. Oh trust me, if I ever had kids/grandkids I would definitely help out. Not sure if I would be able to pay for everything though, since college tuition is pretty much worth more than my kidneys ha.

1 minute ago, Need Coffee in an IV said:

Thanks for that! I was thinking the same thing, but I wanted to get non-bias opinions on the matter. Oh trust me, if I ever had kids/grandkids I would definitely help out. Not sure if I would be able to pay for everything though, since college tuition is pretty much worth more than my kidneys ha.

If I ever have kids, I think me paying for tuition will be contingent upon good grades or something. (On the other hand, I don't want to discourage them from taking hard classes, which I think some scholarships have a tendency to do.)

5 minutes ago, FoxAndChicken said:

If I ever have kids, I think me paying for tuition will be contingent upon good grades or something. (On the other hand, I don't want to discourage them from taking hard classes, which I think some scholarships have a tendency to do.)

My father helped me pay for my undergrad although I had a full tuition scholarship... and offered to pay for my grad school. 

I know that there are plenty of kids out there that would abuse this... but not once did my father ever ask me what my gpa was... how I was doing in my classes grade wise. Nothing. He offered me the help - no strings attached, and for that I greatly respected him. He did however often ask me about my well - being and how I felt things were going college wise. I guess it just depends on people's relationship with their kids and whether they view them as responsible or not. 

36 minutes ago, Need Coffee in an IV said:

I think this has less to do with it being "childish" and whether or not these are the type of people to hold it over your head and treat you like a child because you "owe" them for what they did. Or who will attempt to control your life choices with financial offerings. If they are not these type of people, then I see absolutely nothing wrong with accepting such a great gift. 

1 minute ago, sjoh197 said:

My father helped me pay for my undergrad although I had a full tuition scholarship... and offered to pay for my grad school. 

I know that there are plenty of kids out there that would abuse this... but not once did my father ever ask me what my gpa was... how I was doing in my classes grade wise. Nothing. He offered me the help - no strings attached, and for that I greatly respected him. He did however often ask me about my well - being and how I felt things were going college wise. I guess it just depends on people's relationship with their kids and whether they view them as responsible or not. 

I think this has less to do with it being "childish" and whether or not these are the type of people to hold it over your head and treat you like a child because you "owe" them for what they did. Or who will attempt to control your life choices with financial offerings. If they are not these type of people, then I see absolutely nothing wrong with accepting such a great gift. 

I've been funding my own education and I still get asked about what I'm taking and how I'm doing. (And usually it's super backhanded, like "You really should take easier classes to make up for the disappointment of getting that B+ in math last semester.") I really resent my mom for the comments, but I also do think I have a stronger sense of what my education is worth because I don't have any kind of backup. 

Just now, FoxAndChicken said:

I've been funding my own education and I still get asked about what I'm taking and how I'm doing. (And usually it's super backhanded, like "You really should take easier classes to make up for the disappointment of getting that B+ in math last semester.") I really resent my mom for the comments, but I also do think I have a stronger sense of what my education is worth because I don't have any kind of backup. 

I agree that those comments would get old. That was how my stepfather (who funded none of my education) was to the point that I never wanted to visit anymore. Thankfully my mom divorced him halfway through my college career. It's funny, because I grew up pretty poor, and have never actually asked my father for money expect for dental crowns that are like $700 each. And I always feel really embarrassed/guilty/I'm not sure what when I ask. I think he feels kinda bad that I spent my whole college fund on my daughter's funeral.

At least I don't have to burden my partner with substantial student loan debt. We're still trying to pay off his credit card :/

6 hours ago, Neist said:

I'm not sure how it is in ACS, but in Pop C, I'm pretty sure everyone gets funding. Given this generosity, I'd find it odd if they didn't give PhD students funding.

Now, the Pop C. stipend isn't exactly what I'd call fantastic, but Bowling Green isn't too expensive, either.

I was led to believe that indeed everyone gets funded, it's just the details about which that I suppose I need. I also have a weirdly irrational fear of asking too many questions, in case my admission was a horrible mistake. ;) Heard today that they should notify later in the month. I am itching to start the process of letting my work know when I'm leaving (and THAT I'm leaving).

38 minutes ago, sjoh197 said:

My dad would definitely do this and has done it in the past. However, this is coming from my mom's parents and he has no control over the money. My mom told me she would never withhold the money and will actually divorce my dad if he tried to prevent my mom from giving me the inheritance.  I'm still cautious though.

On 3/2/2016 at 0:16 PM, The Interdisciplinarian said:

Good advice. I don't think I'll do the night driving part, though, just because I have literally watched every season of iD's Disappeared and that's how every woman in every episode winds up kidnapped. :P

Guys, I have huge news, though. I got into my chosen program. Shaking, crying, and in utter disbelief. Much love and good luck to you all, and may the Ides of March be ever in your favor. <3

YAY!!!!!!!! That's awesome!!

1 hour ago, Need Coffee in an IV said:

I'd say that's great. It's not childish... what would be childish is to reject their money just to save your own ego. 

26 minutes ago, nevermind said:

In other news, I just dropped my clothes off for dry cleaning for my admitted students day trip. I feel like a real adult now. 

OMG WHAT DO I WEAR? Things I didn't think to panic about

2 minutes ago, FoxAndChicken said:

hahaha you're telling me. I'm sitting at a Panera Bread in Ithaca and my visiting weekend starts in 4.5 hours. Totally didn't even bring anything other than jeans and sneakers. YOLO

10 minutes ago, FoxAndChicken said:

I dropped off like 7 things, some that weren't really "Dry clean only", but really because I suck at ironing. :)

7 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

hahaha you're telling me. I'm sitting at a Panera Bread in Ithaca and my visiting weekend starts in 4.5 hours. Totally didn't even bring anything other than jeans and sneakers. YOLO

What are you doing all the way down there? You should be exploring better places on State Street! Just stay away from Mate Factor...it's really a strange cult behind it (http://iottc.blogspot.com/2009/03/why-we-boycott-mate-factor.html). 

4 minutes ago, nevermind said:

I dropped off like 7 things, some that weren't really "Dry clean only", but really because I suck at ironing. :)

What are you doing all the way down there? You should be exploring better places on State Street! Just stay away from Mate Factor...it's really a strange cult behind it (http://iottc.blogspot.com/2009/03/why-we-boycott-mate-factor.html). 

But but but... the parking... and the city driving... I drove through downtown and decided I would just stick to the outskirts for now :)

1 minute ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

But but but... the parking... and the city driving... I drove through downtown and decided I would just stick to the outskirts for now :)

Fair enough. I forget what it's like without a TCAT bus pass to get you where you need to go. Have fun! Don't forget to load up on Cornell swag. :)

Just now, nevermind said:

Fair enough. I forget what it's like without a TCAT bus pass to get you where you need to go. Have fun! Don't forget to load up on Cornell swag. :)

Real talk though.... when i want to go to downtown or wherever... is there a place that's reasonably far from town that still has reliable bus service so that I can park there and then ride? I just signed my lease and it's too far out of town for TCAT but I'd be willing to drive close enough to pick up a bus...

Now to get my $750 commuter parking permit :'(

13 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

Real talk though.... when i want to go to downtown or wherever... is there a place that's reasonably far from town that still has reliable bus service so that I can park there and then ride? I just signed my lease and it's too far out of town for TCAT but I'd be willing to drive close enough to pick up a bus...

Now to get my $750 commuter parking permit :'(

Hmm...With your parking permit, you might be able to park (for free) at Hasbrouck (North Campus) and catch buses downtown. I lived in Hasbrouck when I was there and would run downtown (sometimes) and then take the bus back up if I felt too lazy to run back up. Otherwise, two metered lots for commuters are B Lot (North Campus) and Peterson Lot that is close to Riley Robb (where I spent some of my time...but kind of far from the Physics building...but it is usually NEVER full). Peterson Lot is also close to the Dairy Bar, so that's a little extra incentive too. :) I should note that buses pick people up from these locations all the time. 
More info: https://transportation.fs.cornell.edu/parking/campusparking/visitors/metered.cfm

Edited by nevermind

5 minutes ago, nevermind said:

Hmm...With your parking permit, you might be able to park (for free) at Hasbrouck (North Campus) and catch buses downtown. I lived in Hasbrouck when I was there and would run downtown (sometimes) and then take the bus back up if I felt too lazy to run back up. Otherwise, two metered lot for commuters are B Lot (North Campus) and Peterson Lot that is close to Riley Robb (where I spent some of my time...but kind of far from the Physics building...but is usually NEVER full). Peterson Lot is also close to the Dairy Bar, so that's a little extra incentive too. :)
More info: https://transportation.fs.cornell.edu/parking/campusparking/visitors/metered.cfm

Shweet, thanks! Now I just need to officially get my ID number or whatevs so i can get my permit. Eeeeee!

6 minutes ago, katpillow said:

Guys. I'm getting so ancy. All I want to do is reach out to my POI and be like "hey, it's been a month or two since we last communicated. I still really want to work with you. You my numbah one choice!" 

You definitely need to word it exactly like that.