WINE, WAIT, AND WHINE THREAD

Dr. Brains

Since I've been off for a year now, and because I'll be coming in with less math experience than those who have REUs under their belt and grad courses already, I've been reviewing/relearning/learning new things to keep me busy and happy. So I actually bought myself texts on real analysis, topology, and abstract algebra.

It's somewhat surreal, since I've done virtually no math over the past year, despite wanting nothing more than to be in school doing math. And interestingly enough, I think it's been the best de-stressor the last couple weeks. Sure, the only acceptance I've gotten is from my back-up program, but I'm actually going to be going to grad school. I don't think that's really sunk in yet, but knowing beyond a shadow of a doubt that I'll actually be formally studying math again makes me indescribably excited!

If the next few weeks could go by in an instant, I would appreciate it. I can't wait until I can devise plans, fantasize about being at a specific school rather than just my current generic "going to school" fantasies. But really, I'm so incredibly lucky to have these talents, and even though it's my back-up, I still have a funded offer in hand.

I don't know if all this emotion is because I don't feel like doing any more topology and am procrastinating by posting here, but either way...thanks for all the support, all of you. It makes me unbelievably happy every time someone posts another acceptance, and I love knowing some of you are cheering me on as well ^_^

Thanks for all the congrats, guys. This thread has totally kept me sane these long weeks, seriously. Big hugs to everyone, and best of luck to those still waiting. <3

I'm still waiting on funding news, so I may pop about as I nibble my fingernails off with THAT stress. ;)

7 minutes ago, The Interdisciplinarian said:

Thanks for all the congrats, guys. This thread has totally kept me sane these long weeks, seriously. Big hugs to everyone, and best of luck to those still waiting. <3

I'm still waiting on funding news, so I may pop about as I nibble my fingernails off with THAT stress. ;)

I'm not sure how it is in ACS, but in Pop C, I'm pretty sure everyone gets funding. Given this generosity, I'd find it odd if they didn't give PhD students funding.

Now, the Pop C. stipend isn't exactly what I'd call fantastic, but Bowling Green isn't too expensive, either.

I just got waitlisted. In the email, the director wrote, "I know you have other offers, so..." but I do not have other offers. Should I let her know this? Would it affect their chances of offering me a place should someone decline?

Just now, samsonite2pv said:

I just got waitlisted. In the email, the director wrote, "I know you have other offers, so..." but I do not have other offers. Should I let her know this? Would it affect their chances of offering me a place should someone decline?

Did you tell them that you had other offers? Or are they just making that assumption?

Just now, sjoh197 said:

Did you tell them that you had other offers? Or are they just making that assumption?

I definitely didn't tell them that. I don't know if she has me confused with someone else she talked to at recruitment weekend or what.

So I met with my POI yesterday and it went awesome; however he is not on the deciding committee. He said he would put in a good word for me as he thinks I am a great fit and thought maybe I should have applied for CoE instead. He sent me to the department chair to discuss if I should stay with my original application and that was the WEIRDEST session I have ever had. At that point in time no one had received my application packet yet, so he was going off of the basis that I did not have an undergrad degree in engineering or computer science and was giving me tips on what to do to make my application stronger for next year. THEN he admitted, after I gave him my background that he is an EE person, knows nothing about the types of certifications I have and am studying for, does not know enough about the new program for which I applied and proceeded to tell me the process of decisions so I had a better idea of the process. I agreed it was a fair method and by the end of the session he was much more friendly. I left extremely confused. I got the email this morning my application was received by the department for review today, so I am glad I went yesterday to make a case for myself. Now the department chair will be able to put a name to a face. I am terrified even more now because of the confusing conversation. I should know within 2-3 weeks. Cross your fingers for me!

@samsonite2pv I was just asking because apparently some people lie about having offers to "hurry up admission results" or to "make themselves look better"? I always thought it was rather stupid actually. 

Since you are not one of those people... I wouldn't see the harm in saying something along the lines of... Thanks for the info. I haven't received an offer yet from any of the other places, but I look forward to hearing your later decision. Obviously say it all professional like ;)

Edited by sjoh197

3 minutes ago, sjoh197 said:

I've been job searching for quite some time now... and I have ask.. When did "entry level" suddenly = 3-6 years experience?

o.O

Tell me about it. My 22 years of IT experience wasn't enough because my undergrad wasn't in an IT field for a GS9 entry level IT position.

14 minutes ago, sjoh197 said:

I've been job searching for quite some time now... and I have ask.. When did "entry level" suddenly = 3-6 years experience?

o.O

That's one reason I'm heavily considering the OU dual degree program I got funding in. It's a history of science/MLIS degree, and I've spent the last 10 years in academic libraries. I'm a little bit afraid of jumping into a degree where I'd have to start over. 

27 minutes ago, sjoh197 said:

o.O

One of my friends works in IT and has been looking for a new job. He's been seeing the same kind of crap during his search--entry level positions requiring 10 years of experience. He said he saw a database-related position that was paying under $50,000 but required a master's degree!

2 hours ago, samsonite2pv said:

I definitely didn't tell them that. I don't know if she has me confused with someone else she talked to at recruitment weekend or what.

Do yourself a favor and take a page out of the book of my coworker: when she was waitlisted at Northwestern, she really, really wanted to be in that program, so she simply emailed the equivalent person to your case and expressed her desire to be there, and it worked. Don't let them have the wrong idea about your interests, be up front and if you're in a position where you've interviewed with them, let them know you want to be there, and that you're not just floating around and resting on your laurels (especially since you're not actually doing that).

1 hour ago, sjoh197 said:

o.O

It doesn't, from what I gather after being industry-side, it's just nonsense terminology that companies attempt to use to justify paying people less in order to get more out of them in terms of prior experience, etc. It's absolute crockery, but they try to justify it with the "it's a competitive job market", etc. Smaller companies don't do this as much, thus my current employment at a fun little startup.

Currently paid fairly well with just a BS in MatSci. Barely do any MatSci related work, but I've had the opportunity to expand my repertoire to include a lot more biology and biochem, which is nice. Goofy thing is... if I don't get in during this round of apps, I see myself applying for an associate-level position elsewhere (currently Associate II, if that means anything at all). Preferably an academic lab. It's incredibly hard to publish from the industry side- everything has to pretty much be done in one's spare time, and a lot of journals are prickly towards industry submissions. Plus I don't see myself growing any further here, as my role is unlikely to change in the next year or two. Need to keep that growth steady, regardless of PhD app outcomes!

11 minutes ago, katpillow said:

Do yourself a favor and take a page out of the book of my coworker: when she was waitlisted at Northwestern, she really, really wanted to be in that program, so she simply emailed the equivalent person to your case and expressed her desire to be there, and it worked. Don't let them have the wrong idea about your interests, be up front and if you're in a position where you've interviewed with them, let them know you want to be there, and that you're not just floating around and resting on your laurels (especially since you're not actually doing that).

I just did. Thanks, katpillow, and good luck with all your forthcoming notifications!

Is there anyone waiting for an answer from any of the schools? It seems like everyone here has got at least one offer on the table. As a person with no news whatsoever from any, I am going CRAZY! although watching HTGAWM is helping alittle(Thanks to all of you who suggested this series). Plz spare me a thought on how to get over with this waiting that is eating me up.

42 minutes ago, wishthebest said:

Is there anyone waiting for an answer from any of the schools? It seems like everyone here has got at least one offer on the table. As a person with no news whatsoever from any, I am going CRAZY! although watching HTGAWM is helping alittle(Thanks to all of you who suggested this series). Plz spare me a thought on how to get over with this waiting that is eating me up.

First off, what's HTGAWM? Second, I've heard from 3 schools but still waiting on 4 and now almost all my eggs are in those 4 baskets...(2 rejections, 1 waitlist) so, while I don't know exactly what you're going  through, I can sympathize with the waiting pain. For me, it helps to assume I won't get in anywhere and make other plans. It keeps my mind busy. It certainly won't make rejections any easier, but for now it helps. Sort of. I know it's kind of a negative way of thinking but it's also a defense mechanism. 

I've also started playing Zelda - a Link to the Past on the Wii U which is a terrible use of my time but it keeps my brain busy. Work and editing my manuscript/submitting work helps, too, so if you have research or something to work on to occupy your mind and keep you "in the game" or whatever, that might help. 

Have you seen results on the result board from any of your schools? Maybe it's a good sign if you haven't heard anything? 

51 minutes ago, wishthebest said:

Hi! New to this thread, and you are definitely not alone. The only correspondence I've had from any of my schools was my one rejection and a response to an email I sent to Pittsburgh (which was them notifying me they may not even get to look at my application since my recommenders submitted 2 weeks after the deadline!!!).

I'm losing my cool too, don't worry. I would say I'm tearing my hair out over it, but I just got a haircut and I don't want to do that. lol

3 minutes ago, PattiJeane said:

First off, what's HTGAWM? Second, I've heard from 3 schools but still waiting on 4 and now almost all my eggs are in those 4 baskets...(2 rejections, 1 waitlist) so, while I don't know exactly what you're going  through, I can sympathize with the waiting pain. For me, it helps to assume I won't get in anywhere and make other plans. It keeps my mind busy. It certainly won't make rejections any easier, but for now it helps. Sort of. I know it's kind of a negative way of thinking but it's also a defense mechanism. 

I've also started playing Zelda - a Link to the Past on the Wii U which is a terrible use of my time but it keeps my brain busy. Work and editing my manuscript/submitting work helps, too, so if you have research or something to work on to occupy your mind and keep you "in the game" or whatever, that might help. 

Have you seen results on the result board from any of your schools? Maybe it's a good sign if you haven't heard anything? 

How to get away with murder - an awesomely addicting show by Shonda Rhimes that comes on ABC

2 minutes ago, easybreezy said:

How to get away with murder - an awesomely addicting show by Shonda Rhimes that comes on ABC

Oh boy - another show to get addicted to! New episodes of House of Cards are coming out tomorrow on Netflix, I believe. Yay for distractions!

21 minutes ago, PattiJeane said:

Thank you for your advice. As @easybreezy said, it is How to get away with murder. Well, the thing is I've applied to more than 20 schools (many of business majors normally apply this many unless they are the star players in the field), and so far it is just one rejection, one interview, and nothing else. I've gotta stop watching series and start doing something productive to keep my brain busy. It is good to know that someone is trying something while I am totally wasted. So thank you.

25 minutes ago, Puffer Fish said:

Hi! New to this thread, and you are definitely not alone. The only correspondence I've had from any of my schools was my one rejection and a response to an email I sent to Pittsburgh (which was them notifying me they may not even get to look at my application since my recommenders submitted 2 weeks after the deadline!!!).

I'm losing my cool too, don't worry. I would say I'm tearing my hair out over it, but I just got a haircut and I don't want to do that. lol

That happened with me, too. My recommender ended up sending an email with the letter attached, but I've never gotten a confirmation from that university and this unbelievable event happened three times. Currently I have no hair left to tear out, but certainly have a decent wine to cheer myself up a little (Please consider the time lag). I don't know what else to do other than wait and freak out for every alarm on my phone. But thank you very much for informing me that I'm not completely alone. 

26 minutes ago, PattiJeane said:

Oh boy - another show to get addicted to! New episodes of House of Cards are coming out tomorrow on Netflix, I believe. Yay for distractions!

Yes, it's excellent. :D New episode tonight, right? 

I am on spring break and have been prepping for a lecture I'm giving next Thursday. So excited! :D It's on Bayes Theorem and I titled it "Bayes-ically Common Sense". :P 

1 minute ago, wishthebest said:

Thank you for your advice. As @easybreezy said, it is How to get away with murder. Well, the thing is I've applied to more than 20 schools (many of business majors normally apply this many unless they are the star players in the field), and so far it is just one rejection, one interview, and nothing else. I've gotta stop watching series and start doing something productive to keep my brain busy. It is good to know that someone is trying something while I am totally wasted. So thank you.

That happened with me, too. My recommender ended up sending an email with the letter attached, but I've never gotten a confirmation from that university and this unbelievable event happened three times. Currently I have no hair left to tear out, but certainly have a decent wine to cheer myself up a little (Please consider the time lag). I don't know what else to do other than wait and freak out for every alarm on my phone. But thank you very much for informing me that I'm not completely alone. 

Oh my gosh. That's terrifying! My university has a thing where you can get your letter writers to upload their letters, and then it send them to grad schools.  So I really lucked out that that aspect of the application process was painless. (One letter writer definitely hinted that her letter was contingent upon me using this service.) 

However, the day Stanford's application was due I got an email from the postal service that said my package (transcript!) couldn't be delivered that day and I called them like "Uh, yes it will." Tracking told me it was literally down the street from Stanford and like a twelve minute walk, and I was like, if I have to hire a Stanford student to go and get the package and take it to the philosophy department, I will. But I didn't have to because when I called they basically told me they were being pedantic about how it needed to be labelled and it would get there that day. Which is good because I would have raged at them otherwise.