WINE, WAIT, AND WHINE THREAD

Dr. Brains

45 minutes ago, morpheus said:

All of my results- be they acceptances or rejections- have come in the afternoon (presumably when the committees are looking at the applications). Waiting sucks, but maybe this'll help you settle your mind a bit in the mornings :) 

I did get one email at 10:30 PM (EST), and I've seen a couple people post things with other pretty late times, but I don't think I've seen any in the early or mid morning.

11 hours ago, Pokeabun said:

I wake up every morning thinking that there will be an email in my inbox... but no. Waiting stinks. I can't believe I've waited months on end for what will probably be a rejection letter.

I totally understand that. From OSU, my rejection came at about 4pm central, about an hour before their offices closed. But all the communication I received from FSU has always been in the morning at about 7:30am central (8:30 their time) so I keep thinking to check my email in the morning just out of habit. I haven't heard anything from anyone else yet. Waiting definitely sucks. It's currently spring break for FSU and though I was told they'd finish reviewing my application last week, I have no idea if they actually did or if I will have to wait for their return. And if they did finish it, I don't know if the admissions office has received their decision yet and whether I will be contacted this week.

In 12 and a bit hours I have an exam worth 50% of a module and I am in no way shape or form ready to take it. Just mentally not in the right space at all right now. While ranting to a friend I realise that my life is basically a country song currently: degree has ramped up something chronic (I have 4 pieces of coursework plus original research to get done in a month), 5 year relationship ended, still waiting on grad school admissions results, and my gran has terminal cancer. All I need is for my dog to die and it'd be complete, except I don't have a dog, which is almost as bad!!!

Pity party is over. Today has been super productive in terms of research, I had a job interview and I swear half my problem is I haven't trained today or eaten in 12 hours. 

32 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

My first two acceptances came at 1-2AM. So honestly, who knows??

That makes me feel better that I check my status in the middle of the night sometimes. Hahah

So I thought I would be all worry free having an acceptance now.... but I don't know anything about funding or even what project I would be working on.... nothing. I need to just step away from the computer for a while. 

9 minutes ago, Can-eh-dian said:

That makes me feel better that I check my status in the middle of the night sometimes. Hahah

I've totally done this. ^_^

9 minutes ago, sjoh197 said:

So I thought I would be all worry free having an acceptance now.... but I don't know anything about funding or even what project I would be working on.... nothing. I need to just step away from the computer for a while. 

Just let it bake a little. I'm feeling far more confident about my decision now that I've been boiling it over for a week or two.

2 minutes ago, Neist said:

I've totally done this. ^_^

Just let it bake a little. I'm feeling far more confident about my decision now that I've been boiling it over for a week or two.

Which program did you decide on, @Neist? How was the admit day?

I just got back from UCSD and am super excited about their program so I am officially accepting their offer. I finally received my Oregon rejection, but with a nice note from my POI who was interested in my project, but just didn't have funding to offer me this year. So, my Ph.D. admissions cycle is at an end. I'm really glad that I'm finished, got in somewhere, and never have to take the GRE again. :)

7 minutes ago, nevermind said:

Which program did you decide on, @Neist? How was the admit day?

I just got back from UCSD and am super excited about their program so I am officially accepting their offer. I finally received my Oregon rejection, but with a nice note from my POI who was interested in my project, but just didn't have funding to offer me this year. So, my Ph.D. admissions cycle is at an end. I'm really glad that I'm finished, got in somewhere, and never have to take the GRE again. :)

Good to hear about USCD! :) I'm glad you found a good home, and a well-funded home, to boot.

The admit day went great, thanks! I haven't officiated my decision yet, so I'm keeping it on the low until I do. However, I know it's the right place for me to be, and that's what matters. I'll be sure to post an update when I make everything official. 

I got into the two programs I applied to today.

Huge relief.

Even though I didn't post much, thank you all for keeping my entertained. Reading this thread and seeing you all go through the same things helped with the anxiousness and nerves!

Good luck to everyone still waiting. I'm sending nerdy vibes your way!

Odd question, when I applied and was rejected in the past from the same University, I never got an email from the school financial aid department saying my info was received and the dates awards will be posted. Is this common?  I'm sure it's a fluke, blanket email. I'm still waiting on my decision. Fingers crossed.

But it had a link for enroll and pay too. 

I will not get my hopes up.....

Edited by thepinkdragon76
Freaking out

31 minutes ago, hippyscientist said:

@thepinkdragon76 that sounds positive, but you never know until it's in your inbox! Good luck :D

I know I have a professor really pushing for my acceptance. I hope he is/was successful. I am trying not to freak out. I know my app was being looked at by staff as of last week. Spring break is next week and I didn't expect to hear anything until after they come back. Last night I got the emails about the graduate application processing checklist, which I have gotten when I applied before and thought nothing of it. Then today the financial aid email was headed with my email address and an RE:FAFSA received by KU and said Dear First name..... with dates and a link. I completed the FAFSA on 2/11/16.

I will not get my hopes up... eek.

7 minutes ago, rhombusbombus said:

I'm trying to wait for funding from Illinois and an acceptance from UCR but i'm dead set on Penn State.

So I think I'm gonna sign the paper and just accept their offer.

If that is where you want to go then do it. You will find a way to fund it, if you don't have an award yet.

38 minutes ago, rhombusbombus said:

I'm trying to wait for funding from Illinois and an acceptance from UCR but i'm dead set on Penn State.

So I think I'm gonna sign the paper and just accept their offer.

I am with @thepinkdragon76 on this. If you're set on it - go. Even if you have to find your own way to fund it, you could regret not choosing the place you really wanted.

7 hours ago, nevermind said:

Wow I hadn't even thought to be excited about this.  Wait a minute, are you sure?  There aren't fellowships or intern programs that use GRE scores even though you're in a PhD program or just finished one are there?!  Once we get into a program we're truly done with the GRE and won't ever need to order a score report?  Ever?!  

13 hours ago, morpheus said:

All of my results- be they acceptances or rejections- have come in the afternoon (presumably when the committees are looking at the applications). Waiting sucks, but maybe this'll help you settle your mind a bit in the mornings :) 

Mine have come in from anywhere between 1 am and 6 am due to time zones... So mine will never come in the afternoon unless someone decides to send me an email at 4am for whatever reason. But thank you anyways :) I actually checked this morning and got an acceptance! That only leaves 4 more. (let the cycle repeat)

I check my email 1-2 times a day due to restricted internet access...I received my 2 acceptance emails (UCSB on 2/20 and Cal Poly on 3/5), but I'm still anxiously waiting for the email from UCD. Has anyone heard from them?

1 minute ago, AlbeeW said:

I check my email 1-2 times a day due to restricted internet access...I received my 2 acceptance emails (UCSB on 2/20 and Cal Poly on 3/5), but I'm still anxiously waiting for the email from UCD. Has anyone heard from them?

http://thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php is always the best place to check (and restricted to your specific program)- most of the people who regular this forum also tend to post their results :)

Chalk another one up, b's & g's. At least the decisions have no sense of surprise at this point. It's just that slow ooze of waiting to get the official responses that drags out the agony. I should probably start applying for academic-side laboratory positions. I've pretty much done all the growing one can do where I'm currently at, especially considering the direction my company is moving (growing, so everyone is becoming more and more restricted in terms of role). Plus it's stupid difficult to publish, and I want to do more of that regardless.

ugh