WINE, WAIT, AND WHINE THREAD

Dr. Brains

2 hours ago, Puffer Fish said:

Penn State finally responded to my email yesterday, letting me know that they were "putting the letters together and they would be sent out today". The wording makes me think postal mail...

And after looking at the few-and-far-between results for my program on this site, it looks like acceptances are almost exclusively notified via post while rejections/waitlists are notified exclusively by email.

So, for once, here's hoping I DON'T hear for a few days and that I get something in the mail.

If I don't get in here, I have one more hope (JMU notifies on Monday the 14th) before I'm trapped in waitlist hell.

I could see them sending things via mail and email on the same day- then they would have one time where they could tell anyone who emailed them what their decision is, instead of people trying to figure it out themselves (as we all try to do...).

I got my official acceptance email today :D It's nothing I didn't already know but it makes me feel so happy to have it in writing. Funding gets decided in a week, and they gave me 2 weeks to respond.

I'm now going to contact the remaining two schools and see if I can get an idea on when I might hear from them.

It's finally starting to happen for me.

In other news, I didn't get the easter job I applied for (probably because I messed up the interview) and I think it's a blessing in disguise as I have way too much uni work to be doing.

9 minutes ago, hippyscientist said:

I got my official acceptance email today :D It's nothing I didn't already know but it makes me feel so happy to have it in writing. Funding gets decided in a week, and they gave me 2 weeks to respond.

Congrats! :D 

Just now, Neist said:

Congrats! :D 

Thanks! It came through in the middle of a really difficult coding lab, and I got so excited I forgot what I was doing and ended up hop-scotching down the lab to burn off energy. The technical tutor taking the lab videoed it so I'll probably end up on reddit later! The funding will decide whether I can attend though.

Congratulations to all who have heard back positive news! @PattiJeane that is pretty horrible thing to have happen.  Have you heard anything back yet (or am I completely mixing up my days?)?  If it were me I would definitely send off a curtly worded e-mail for them to get their heads in the game if it was a mis-step.  Is it also possible that they might have sent that out to allow you access to an online portal to check your status?  I know I got something similar when I applied UCSC a day after I applied.  Maybe their admins are just mega slow at sending out these username/passwords to check statuses?

Hi everyone, I have a question: when's the appropriate time to email the school that I'm waitlisted at to tell them I'm still interested? I initially replied to the waitlist notice email in mid-Feb and received a favourable but still ambiguous response. This is the school I really want to go, so any comment will be of help. Thank you!

1 minute ago, steve3020 said:

Hi everyone, I have a question: when's the appropriate time to email the school that I'm waitlisted at to tell them I'm still interested? I initially replied to the waitlist notice email in mid-Feb and received a favourable but still ambiguous response. This is the school I really want to go, so any comment will be of help. Thank you!

I would say the sooner the better at this point!  It's getting close to a month since you've replied.  If possible I would send them an email with an updated C/V and grades (if you have any).  If not, just politely but firmly ask if the waitlist spots have moved at all as you are still very interested in attending.

1 minute ago, ChrisTOEFert said:

I would say the sooner the better at this point!  It's getting close to a month since you've replied.  If possible I would send them an email with an updated C/V and grades (if you have any).  If not, just politely but firmly ask if the waitlist spots have moved at all as you are still very interested in attending.

Thank you, Chris. I should probably do that! Does everyone think the same??

16 minutes ago, ChrisTOEFert said:

Congratulations to all who have heard back positive news! @PattiJeane that is pretty horrible thing to have happen.  Have you heard anything back yet (or am I completely mixing up my days?)?  If it were me I would definitely send off a curtly worded e-mail for them to get their heads in the game if it was a mis-step.  Is it also possible that they might have sent that out to allow you access to an online portal to check your status?  I know I got something similar when I applied UCSC a day after I applied.  Maybe their admins are just mega slow at sending out these username/passwords to check statuses?

@ChrisTOEFert I haven't heard anything back. This just happened yesterday. If I don't hear back soon, I will send a follow-up email. If, after that, I get no response, I will send that curtly worded email to some folks higher up on the chain. The email specifically states "Welcome to ______ State University" and refers to me as a student or employee. Actually, when I first glanced at it, I thought it was an acceptance. I mean, what if I turned down another school thinking I was accepted?? Not that I have any other schools to turn down at this point.. but still. 

5 minutes ago, PattiJeane said:

@ChrisTOEFert I haven't heard anything back. This just happened yesterday. If I don't hear back soon, I will send a follow-up email. If, after that, I get no response, I will send that curtly worded email to some folks higher up on the chain. The email specifically states "Welcome to ______ State University" and refers to me as a student or employee. Actually, when I first glanced at it, I thought it was an acceptance. I mean, what if I turned down another school thinking I was accepted?? Not that I have any other schools to turn down at this point.. but still. 

Yeah that could have been bad.  Hopefully it was just a presumptuous IT guy that sent out the e-mail a little too early and you did get in but they hadn't sent out official acceptances yet.

20 hours ago, PattiJeane said:

I just need to vent... there's this school I haven't been accepted to or rejected from. I got an email from their IT department today saying "Welcome to ______ State University!" and asking me to activate my student account. I've seen some acceptances pop up on the board for my program at this school. I'm not one of them. Why am I getting this email?! I called the admissions department and they couldn't (or didn't want to) tell me anything except that they would look into the email and get back to me within a week. I just sent an email to the English department.. a nice, polite, inquiring email. BUT I AM KINDA PISSED IF I GOT THIS EMAIL AND DIDN'T GET IN. That is like.. super crappy operations. 

I'm pretty sure it was an error, but COME ON MAN I'm dying over here! 

UGH! Anyone had anything like this happen to them?

Yeah I've been getting financial aid emails from the school I haven't been accepted to yet. Lol Let's hope it means something good for us both!

4 hours ago, hippyscientist said:

I'm now going to contact the remaining two schools and see if I can get an idea on when I might hear from them.

It's finally starting to happen for me.

In other news, I didn't get the easter job I applied for (probably because I messed up the interview) and I think it's a blessing in disguise as I have way too much uni work to be doing.

Congratulations! I hope you get the funding you need!

3 hours ago, thepinkdragon76 said:

Yeah I've been getting financial aid emails from the school I haven't been accepted to yet. Lol Let's hope it means something good for us both!

@thepinkdragon76 @ChrisTOEFert Well, unfortunately it was an administrative error and I was rejected. I feel bad for others that have this experience. It feels pretty awful.

I can't believe I get to say this.....

BUT I GOT IN TO MY TOP CHOICE*!!!!! 

*one of two top choices

Wow. Unreal. 

The stars really aligned for me as I hadn't had any offers before getting this great news. 

Edited by artsy16

12 hours ago, PattiJeane said:

@thepinkdragon76 @ChrisTOEFert Well, unfortunately it was an administrative error and I was rejected. I feel bad for others that have this experience. It feels pretty awful.

That's pretty weak of the school.  Maybe it's universe karma or something and you've got to fight through this really awful thing and then you're going to get accepts to all of the other remaining programs.

5 minutes ago, sjoh197 said:

I finally got my bonsai tree last night. It is angry but beautiful. 

"Angry Bonsai" could be the name of a Japanese metal band.

1 minute ago, katpillow said:

"Angry Bonsai" could be the name of a Japanese metal band.

haha... I'm just picturing a bunch of angry Japanese guitarists and drummers. 

14 hours ago, PattiJeane said:

That is so unbelievably crappy of the school. I'm sorry to hear that.

I haven't received anything else since I called financial aid to see if my emails were mass emails/common. The guy on the other end was kind of weird about it but I am not getting my hopes up. I suspect I won't hear anything for at least another two weeks or so since spring break starts next week.

13 hours ago, artsy16 said:

I can't believe I get to say this.....

BUT I GOT IN TO MY TOP CHOICE*!!!!! 

*one of two top choices

Wow. Unreal. 

The stars really aligned for me as I hadn't had any offers before getting this great news. 

Wow!! Congratulations!!!!!!