WINE, WAIT, AND WHINE THREAD

Dr. Brains

8 hours ago, lbruneetoile said:

So I was accepted to the UT Austin LBJ school for public affairs a couple weeks ago. And I got a call from the Dean of the LBJ School this weekend, but I had to let it go to voicemail because I was out of the country (curse my non-international data plan!). Any idea what she would want to chat about? I want to make sure I don't sound like an unprepared goober when I call her back...

Did she not leave a voicemail about what she called about?  They're probably calling about 1) funding, if you don't have any, you probably do now, or 2) asking about your decision.  I wouldn't worry about it, I'd just call back and ask what's up.

I have to force myself to only check my email once a day. I've received admissions decisions from both schools I applied to but definitely getting impatient waiting for financial aid! <_<

1 hour ago, StephMSW said:

I have to force myself to only check my email once a day. I've received admissions decisions from both schools I applied to but definitely getting impatient waiting for financial aid! <_<

I shall raise your whining with this...

I live on the other side of the planet. For me decisions/emails come only at night.  I keep waking up to check that darn inbox... Gah! 

I don't know if zinfandel helps you sleep better. :wacko:

1 minute ago, RCtheSS said:

I just logged in to receive my last admission decision this morning. As such, I am done waiting and whining.

Well, not really. Now I'm transitioning into begging for financial aid packages. 

Dude, congrats on all that green in your signature! I'm with you on the financial aid....I was told they're meeting this week to decide...it's almost more nerve wracking than waiting for admissions!! 

Just now, hippyscientist said:

Dude, congrats on all that green in your signature! I'm with you on the financial aid....I was told they're meeting this week to decide...it's almost more nerve wracking than waiting for admissions!! 

Thanks! I can't believe that 6 months later, this is a reality. I'm not trying to humblebrag or anything like that, I just... I don't know! I was stressed as all hell about these applications and I was the only person out of all my colleagues and friends who didn't believe this could happen. I've always been my worst critic.

At this point I've mentally narrowed down my top 3 choices, and I have a week of visits planned at the end of the month. Now it's up to making the finances work out!

My top choice school was a January 15th deadline. I was advised by a lot of my professors (many of whom also wrote my letters) to call them if I hadn't heard back by today. Called this morning and found out that they've been about three weeks behind on decisions but they're sending out the first round of acceptances via snail mail and email today and tomorrow. This is bringing a whole new meaning to "wine, wait, and whine". Can't wait till my classes are over so I can bust out some Syrah. I'm also wearing a very Stevie Nicks inspired outfit today in order to give me some witchy confidence vibes. :) 

Good luck to everyone else who is waiting, and congratulations to those of you getting acceptances! 

^^^ OMG... it won't let me delete the mistake quotes.... god. 

1 hour ago, hippyscientist said:

@RCtheSS exactly. I'm sold on where I've been accepted if I get the funding. Like straight away accept if the funding is there because I'm so excited about the school, the lab, the research, the lifestyle all of it. Just please pay me enough to live!!!!

I was just trying to say I wonder how long it will take to hear on funding. That's what I'm waiting for and its driving me nuts. 

52 minutes ago, sjoh197 said:

I was just trying to say I wonder how long it will take to hear on funding. That's what I'm waiting for and its driving me nuts. 

funding is so crucial. I thought I wouldn't be accepted if there wasn't funding, but apparently some schools decide who they want, send out the acceptances and then keep you waiting before letting you know if they will fund you. Agh!

1 hour ago, sjoh197 said:

You can click on the top of the textbox itself and press "delete" (not backspace) and it should go away. It's a little touchy, but it works :)

Ahhhhh! People are already beginning to post acceptances from my school. Not the same program but still.... I keep refreshing my email and the application portal. Today is the day they're supposed to release the results but I don't know if I'm getting my rejection today. The anxiety is killing meeeee!

6 minutes ago, raaawr said:

Thanks! I'm not feeling confident though cause all the posts I saw were accepted so maybe they're taking their sweet time to send a rejection. ?

as I keep repeating to myself, it's not over until you have that letter in hand. It's so easy to take the results board as what's truly happening when we know we're a small sample of the grad school population who use grad cafe. Stay positive :)

14 hours ago, metamorph said:

I shall raise your whining with this...

I live on the other side of the planet. For me decisions/emails come only at night.  I keep waking up to check that darn inbox... Gah! 

I don't know if zinfandel helps you sleep better. :wacko:

Haha, might be worth a try! ;)

2 minutes ago, hippyscientist said:

as I keep repeating to myself, it's not over until you have that letter in hand. It's so easy to take the results board as what's truly happening when we know we're a small sample of the grad school population who use grad cafe. Stay positive :)

I will try to keep positive tonight. Thanks :) 

I'm fairly certain I'm on an unofficial waitlist at my last school. The program director told me that they've extended the first round of acceptances and are waiting to hear back. The first round has a deadline of April 15th, which is predictably the same as the deadline for the other programs I've been accepted to. My dilemma is that I found THE PERFECT place to live if I go to a school that I've been accepted to. They are doing a promotional deal until the end of the week which would make the rent incredibly affordable for me. I want to go to this school, and I want to live at this apartment. I'm ready to commit to the school now. Would it be stupid to just accept the offer and go sign the lease for this apartment? If I actually get into the other school it might be with great funding, but I feel like I can't put my life on hold for a maybe anymore. I know what I want to do, but I feel like it is being hasty and irrational. What do you guys think?

2 minutes ago, nka93 said:

I'm fairly certain I'm on an unofficial waitlist at my last school. The program director told me that they've extended the first round of acceptances and are waiting to hear back. The first round has a deadline of April 15th, which is predictably the same as the deadline for the other programs I've been accepted to. My dilemma is that I found THE PERFECT place to live if I go to a school that I've been accepted to. They are doing a promotional deal until the end of the week which would make the rent incredibly affordable for me. I want to go to this school, and I want to live at this apartment. I'm ready to commit to the school now. Would it be stupid to just accept the offer and go sign the lease for this apartment? If I actually get into the other school it might be with great funding, but I feel like I can't put my life on hold for a maybe anymore. I know what I want to do, but I feel like it is being hasty and irrational. What do you guys think?

Does your accepted school offer funding? I'd just go with funding, at this point. It's pretty late in the game, and who knows if you'll ever get off the wait list.

6 minutes ago, Neist said:

Does your accepted school offer funding? I'd just go with funding, at this point. It's pretty late in the game, and who knows if you'll ever get off the wait list.

Yes they do. They are waiving out-of-state tuition and paying me a stipend. The stipend is enough to live off to with probably a little extra each month. So I will be taking out loans but not an unacceptable amount in my opinion. Not a dream deal financially, but way cheaper than the other school that I was accepted to which wont have funding info until late in the summer.

Edited by nka93
Silly typo