WINE, WAIT, AND WHINE THREAD

Dr. Brains

1 minute ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

Congratulations @Neist! The other side is so much more relaxing, right? (or at least, it will be in ~2 weeks :D)

Thanks! And it's much more relaxing, indeed. :) 

I've started looking at class rotations and schedules for next year, and I'm thinking balancing the timing between two degrees is going to be hairy. Good thing I'm good at planning.

So while I've decided to go to Penn State, I just got a fellowship notification from UIUC (25k/year for 3 years).

I don't think I made the wrong choice but I sure would have liked that info a week earlier just to know! I'm more bummed that i don't think fellowships bump to other people if not taken. But it's stifled my impostor syndrome for one more day so I'll take it.

AND UCR doesn't admit until a professor "signs" for a student. I had been talking to a professor for a few months and there's still radio silence. I just wanna freaking know at this point!

@Neist I too am looking at class schedules and stuff! I'm trying to find some cool hobbies to try out since I'm moving in June and will have a month before my July start date!

I doubt fellowship money goes unused.  My guess is that its reserved for "an incoming student" so if the top choice says no and the department goes down the waitlist, then whoever says yes gets that funding.

34 minutes ago, rhombusbombus said:

@Neist I too am looking at class schedules and stuff! I'm trying to find some cool hobbies to try out since I'm moving in June and will have a month before my July start date!

The MLIS side has a pre-defined course rotation out of a surprisingly large catalog of courses, so any specific course might only be offered once in three years. And there's pre-requisites for those courses.

Do you like the outdoors? You'll be pretty close to quite a few parks and wilderness areas. I've only been to Pennsylvania a few times, but it's probably one of my favorite states. I'd like to live there eventually. :) 

@Neist congratulations on deciding! I was in a similar boat, I got an email last night telling me that I've been awarded a scholarship and funding at the first university that accepted me. However, I'll will be headed to Penn State as well - I'd be stupid not to!! The area is beautiful, I just want to get a car sorted pretty much as soon as I arrive so I can get out of the town when needed. At the minute I'm trying to figure out what classes I want to take outside my main department - it's a toss-up between engineering and computer science. I guess that's a conversation to be had with my PI - who is awesome. He's so excited to have me on board it's amazing. I feel so much love from the department already haha.

I almost wish schools had a deadline of march 15 to let us know. Then wed be guaranteed at least a month to decide. 

Im excited about being outside! I think my dog will appreciate it too. Theres a bike trail from where i want to live straight to campus, so i want to get a bike when i get there. You know, take advantage of this opportunity 

@rhombusbombus See that would actually be too convenient though! I'm super excited about Lubbock because my boyfriend and I can afford to rent a 2-3 bedroom house and get a dog! Sure we still have things to plan but its actually a possibility which makes me want to get there now ha.

6 hours ago, hippyscientist said:

@Neist congratulations on deciding! I was in a similar boat, I got an email last night telling me that I've been awarded a scholarship and funding at the first university that accepted me. However, I'll will be headed to Penn State as well - I'd be stupid not to!! The area is beautiful, I just want to get a car sorted pretty much as soon as I arrive so I can get out of the town when needed. At the minute I'm trying to figure out what classes I want to take outside my main department - it's a toss-up between engineering and computer science. I guess that's a conversation to be had with my PI - who is awesome. He's so excited to have me on board it's amazing. I feel so much love from the department already haha.

Glad to hear you're happy with your choice! :) Also, have you considered Zipcar? At least until you find a car you want? Looks like State College has a few Zipcar lots. As long as you don't have to commute daily, it's a pretty decent option.

http://www.zipcar.com/universities/state-college-pa

Also, I'm probably going to see if I can use on of the out-of-department electives in the history of science side to get a another library class or two. My research requires a lot of technical training. Yay for plans!

25 minutes ago, rhombusbombus said:

Im excited about being outside! I think my dog will appreciate it too. Theres a bike trail from where i want to live straight to campus, so i want to get a bike when i get there. You know, take advantage of this opportunity 

That's awfully convenient. :) But then again, I'm not a huge fan of driving. It's tedious and time-consuming.

5 minutes ago, Need Coffee in an IV said:

@rhombusbombus See that would actually be too convenient though! I'm super excited about Lubbock because my boyfriend and I can afford to rent a 2-3 bedroom house and get a dog! Sure we still have things to plan but its actually a possibility which makes me want to get there now ha.

That's one of the perks of staying in Oklahoma. I'm living in an all bills paid two bedroom apartment for under $700 (including cable and internet). Even cheap cities tend to be more expensive than that. It's a pretty big perk, I think.

Just now, Neist said:

Glad to hear you're happy with your choice! :) Also, have you considered Zipcar? At least until you find a car you want? Looks like State College has a few Zipcar lots. As long as you don't have to commute daily, it's a pretty decent option.

http://www.zipcar.com/universities/state-college-pa

Also, I'm probably going to see if I can use on of the out-of-department electives in the history of science side to get a another library class or two. My research requires a lot of technical training. Yay for plans!

That's awfully convenient. :) But then again, I'm not a huge fan of driving. It's tedious and time-consuming.

That's one of the perks of staying in Oklahoma. I'm living in an all bills paid two bedroom apartment for under $700 (including cable and internet). Even cheap cities tend to be more expensive than that. It's a pretty big perk, I think.

Where my boyfriend and I live now is very cheap as well! We are in a 2 bedroom in a duplex on a quite safe street for 500 a month. So Lubbock will be a little more expensive but not that bad ha. Plus its a smaller city and we aren't huge fans of big cities. So everything has worked out!

Ugh declining offers is so horrible. I know I'm opening a spot for someone else but this PI has been so invested in me and I honestly thought I'd be going there until I got into my first choice school earlier this week. I feel bad but I gotta do what's best for me! 

1 hour ago, hippyscientist said:

Ugh declining offers is so horrible. I know I'm opening a spot for someone else but this PI has been so invested in me and I honestly thought I'd be going there until I got into my first choice school earlier this week. I feel bad but I gotta do what's best for me! 

I know... I unofficially told the professor I worked with at Boulder last summer that I'd be going there for graduate school if I got in. I said this like two months ago, and I emailed her a few weeks ago to say I'm going to Cornell. She hasn't responded yet...

Also, are you also sick of the surveys that some schools give you when you reject their offer?

17 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

I know... I unofficially told the professor I worked with at Boulder last summer that I'd be going there for graduate school if I got in. I said this like two months ago, and I emailed her a few weeks ago to say I'm going to Cornell. She hasn't responded yet...

I'm in this situation as well. Told one of my waitlist schools that they were my top choice (they were, even with their abysmal funding) and I would likely accept an offer if given one off the waitlist. I ended up getting off the waitlist at another program that had been consistently my strongest top choice, and chose to commit. POI at the first school hasn't responded and it's been over a week, in the past they've been prompt. I feel kinda bad about it, but then I learned that this POI put *all* interviewed applicants on the waitlist (about 6 applicants), and I wasn't once of their top choices (I exchanged #s with other applicants and found out 2 people had been given offers off the waitlist for this POI). Maybe all the POIs at that school accept 1 and waitlist all others. At the school I'll be attending in the fall, they only waitlist 2, so you know your standing. Makes me feel less bad that, even knowing that they were my top choice and I would readily accept an offer, they extended offers to 3 people before me (1 immediately after the interview and 2 from the waitlist).

I only told one POI where I'll be going/who I'll be working with, and that's only because they asked. Funny enough, I was waitlisted then rejected from this program and offered to be considered for the masters. I had just said "yes" to being considered when I got the call from my strong top choice that I got in, so I sent a follow up email to the POI asking them to cancel my masters application. They ended up knowing my future PI and said I'm in good hands :)

Edited by artsy16

30 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

Also, are you also sick of the surveys that some schools give you when you reject their offer?

I haven't actually rejected them yet. It's awful because I'm rejecting a school ranked ~5th for a school ranked 1st - it's not like there's a MASSIVE difference between them, it's just that the 1st ranked school has EVERYTHING I EVER WANTED! Lol. I pretty much told the school I'm rejecting that I'll go there as I honestly never thought I'd get into Penn State. But everything happens for a reason. :D:D

30 minutes ago, hippyscientist said:

I haven't actually rejected them yet. It's awful because I'm rejecting a school ranked ~5th for a school ranked 1st - it's not like there's a MASSIVE difference between them, it's just that the 1st ranked school has EVERYTHING I EVER WANTED! Lol. I pretty much told the school I'm rejecting that I'll go there as I honestly never thought I'd get into Penn State. But everything happens for a reason. :D:D

And they've got to understand that. Put yourself in their shoes.... I guarantee you'd want the prospective student to go wherever would make them happiest.

3 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

And they've got to understand that. Put yourself in their shoes.... I guarantee you'd want the prospective student to go wherever would make them happiest.

Thanks, Fuzzy. That helps me feel less awful about it. I will be seeing both advisors that I applied to and won't be working with at conferences so I want to make sure the rejection is pleasant and professional. 

After a couple days of insanely packed schedules, my first (and possibly only?) visit is over. While the program coordinator didn't say it outright, there was heavy implication that we would all be accepted, and should hear back in the next two weeks for sure, most likely next week.

I'm super excited- I fell in love with the school, the faculty, the students, the program...I could definitely see myself spending the next 5+ years there :)

So, I've officially made my decision. I've committed to a school and said no to my other offer. Also, following some very good advice from @ChrisTOEFert a few days ago, I've asked the school I was on a waiting list for to withdraw me from consideration for my own mental health. I feel so at peace with everything after sending three emails. It is ridiculous what the application process puts us through. I will only have to travel three hours by car to get to my new school. We are going on Wednesday to look at an apartment and potentially sign a lease for the fall. Thanks to all of you for giving me a place to vent my frustrations and get some advice. I'm still going to lurk around here and possibly comment. I've become creepily interested in your lives. ;)

I'm hoping to hear something this week. I need good vibes so I can root for KU in the sweet 16 as an official Jayhawk. Yes, I'm pathetic. Lol

P.S. I'm being constantly mocked by KU ads on here. Lol Guess I need to clear my browser history ?

Edited by thepinkdragon76

9 hours ago, artsy16 said:

I'm in this situation as well. Told one of my waitlist schools that they were my top choice (they were, even with their abysmal funding) and I would likely accept an offer if given one off the waitlist. I ended up getting off the waitlist at another program that had been consistently my strongest top choice, and chose to commit. POI at the first school hasn't responded and it's been over a week, in the past they've been prompt. I feel kinda bad about it, but then I learned that this POI put *all* interviewed applicants on the waitlist (about 6 applicants), and I wasn't once of their top choices (I exchanged #s with other applicants and found out 2 people had been given offers off the waitlist for this POI). Maybe all the POIs at that school accept 1 and waitlist all others. At the school I'll be attending in the fall, they only waitlist 2, so you know your standing. Makes me feel less bad that, even knowing that they were my top choice and I would readily accept an offer, they extended offers to 3 people before me (1 immediately after the interview and 2 from the waitlist).

I only told one POI where I'll be going/who I'll be working with, and that's only because they asked. Funny enough, I was waitlisted then rejected from this program and offered to be considered for the masters. I had just said "yes" to being considered when I got the call from my strong top choice that I got in, so I sent a follow up email to the POI asking them to cancel my masters application. They ended up knowing my future PI and said I'm in good hands :)

That is horrible and even though you were excited to possibly go there I think it's better you aren't.  The school that just accepted you wanted you just a little bit more which is a good thing.

:blink: I just had a moment. It occurred to me that when I finally get the email to check the portal, I'm going to be too damn scared to look. Especially if it comes on the 24th which would be the same day I was rejected from a different program last year. I have decided though, if I don't get in that maybe I'll just get a second bachelor degree first and go from there.

On 3/19/2016 at 9:25 AM, Need Coffee in an IV said:

Where my boyfriend and I live now is very cheap as well! We are in a 2 bedroom in a duplex on a quite safe street for 500 a month. So Lubbock will be a little more expensive but not that bad ha. Plus its a smaller city and we aren't huge fans of big cities. So everything has worked out!

I think people are often lured by larger stipends, but sometimes the smaller stipends are in significantly cheaper locations. I'm only going to be getting 16.5k a year and I'll be supporting three people on that, but it's not all that difficult to live in Oklahoma off that much income. It's definitely a little on the poor side, but with SNAP benefits we'll be pretty comfortable. I'm probably going to take out a thousand or two in loans each year to pad it, but it's definitely doable. I'd be living luxuriously if I was single. :) 

1 minute ago, Neist said:

I think people are often lured by larger stipends, but sometimes the smaller stipends are in significantly cheaper locations. I'm only going to be getting 16.5k a year and I'll be supporting three people on that, but it's not all that difficult to live in Oklahoma off that much income. It's definitely a little on the poor side, but with SNAP benefits we'll be pretty comfortable. I'm probably going to take out a thousand or two in loans each year to pad it, but it's definitely doable. I'd be living luxuriously if I was single. :) 

Ha that's what my boyfriend says too! He teases me because before he met me, he would hand wash all of his clothes. We can afford smaller salaries since neither of us have debt and are relatively money conscious. Luckily for us, the things we like are usually free. But next place we are getting will have a dish washer! That's a non negotiable.

2 minutes ago, Need Coffee in an IV said:

Ha that's what my boyfriend says too! He teases me because before he met me, he would hand wash all of his clothes. We can afford smaller salaries since neither of us have debt and are relatively money conscious. Luckily for us, the things we like are usually free. But next place we are getting will have a dish washer! That's a non negotiable.

Oooo. We've never had a dish washer. That's pretty fancy. :) 

The apartments I live in now (and will be staying in) have free laundry facilities, too. That's a significant expense one doesn't need to worry about. Three people's worth of laundry is easily $40-50 a month.

Just now, Neist said:

Oooo. We've never had a dish washer. That's pretty fancy. :) 

The apartments I live in now (and will be staying in) have free laundry facilities, too. That's a significant expense one doesn't need to worry about. Three people's worth of laundry is easily $40-50 a month.

haha I'll be living the high life! Washing dishes hurts my hands, so my boyfriend is willing to set that as a requirement. We have to go to a laundry mat but we usually spend only 5-15 a month.