WINE, WAIT, AND WHINE THREAD

Dr. Brains

So is there anyone else applying for Master in SLO for Biomedical Engineering regenerative medicine program?

They said all result will be out by March 15th and I sitting here now at 3pm pst still waiting for them to change.

They did say that if waitlist they will know by April 7th but I should at least know if I am waitlist or not right?

Poking my head in, as my bestie has threatened to block my texts if I don't shut up about waiting. Applied to Old Dominion University's online Ph.D. in English, as there appear to only be three online programs in the US, and this is the only one I can afford. (Online part-time students do not tend to get funding for anything.) 

I called admissions at the end of last week and they said they had some results already. Alas, mine either weren't among them, or they couldn't release them. 

Given the rate I'm biting my fingernails, I'm starting a pool as to how far up my arm I'll have bitten by the time I get the notification one way or the other. Anyone want in? 

Oh my goshhhhhh, I got an acceptance to my #1 pick, but it turns out one of my 3 references has yet to upload my reference letter yet! My official acceptance document can't be processed without it. :(

My prof has been MIA for the last two weeks and I feel so anxious, especially since I'm letting a very good offer from another school expire today...

Edited by belles

40 minutes ago, belles said:

Oh my goshhhhhh, I got an acceptance to my #1 pick, but it turns out one of my 3 references has yet to upload my reference letter yet! My official acceptance document can't be processed without it. :(

My prof has been MIA for the last two weeks and I feel so anxious, especially since I'm letting a very good offer from another school expire today...

Yikes! What is a professor doing disappearing for two weeks in the depths of a semester? What a crazy situation, hope that you can get it resolved super quickly!

Edited by Euler

3 hours ago, nka93 said:

Yes they do. They are waiving out-of-state tuition and paying me a stipend. The stipend is enough to live off to with probably a little extra each month. So I will be taking out loans but not an unacceptable amount in my opinion. Not a dream deal financially, but way cheaper than the other school that I was accepted to which wont have funding info until late in the summer.

This late in the game I think its best to make a decision with what you have.  You have 2 official offers, one that will be financially challenging and the other that is financially doable with an excellent housing option.  Those are your choices and the latter seems great.  Holding out hope that you might get off the waitlist at that other school, that they might have comparable or better funding, and that you might find an affordable place to live is an awful lot of hoping that may not pan out.  If you had no other offers then holding out for this waitlist would make sense, but that isn't the case.

51 minutes ago, MarineBluePsy said:

This late in the game I think its best to make a decision with what you have.  You have 2 official offers, one that will be financially challenging and the other that is financially doable with an excellent housing option.  Those are your choices and the latter seems great.  Holding out hope that you might get off the waitlist at that other school, that they might have comparable or better funding, and that you might find an affordable place to live is an awful lot of hoping that may not pan out.  If you had no other offers then holding out for this waitlist would make sense, but that isn't the case.

Seconded

6 hours ago, belles said:

Oh my word that would be anxiety inducing! I had to stay on top of one of my references because she wasn't getting it done. Are you able to do a last minute reference from someone else by any chance? I know "last minute" isn't very appealing but if the one flakes out, at least you have that other one in so your acceptance can be processed!

I sent an enquiry email to one of the schools I have yet to hear from on Friday and 11pm last night I received an email from the POI there asking to skype me tonight. He apologised for keeping me in the dark for so long AND remembered the time difference. Now comes the 12 hours where I try very hard to not over-analyse why he wants to skype.

9 hours ago, nka93 said:

Thanks @MarineBluePsy and @sjoh197 for your input! I'm feeling better about making this decision. 

I third their recommendation.  Not a good idea to hold your breath when you have two other options, especially one that you are very interested in pursuing.  If I were you I'd accept and notify the other school you want to be pulled from the waitlist.  This preserves your sanity, jussssstttttt in case they offer you admission but then string you along without funding info for a month or two.  Then you find out its not worth it and kick yourself for not having accepting your choice that you were happy with in the first place!

Wooooooohooooo! Feeling high. :D Just kidding. POI from Oregon state offered me a position in her research group for the PhD program! I don't care about the other schools anymore as this was one of my dream schools. :D But yeah, I am going here this Fall  ^_^ . So far 1 reject, 1 accept. 4 more schools to hear from :D 

No word on funding yet though. POI says she has been working on getting me funding for sometime and is still continuing to do so. Would be so rad if I can get that :D 

Edited by Nirvik

14 minutes ago, FoxAndChicken said:

Going to visit Carnegie Mellon tomorrow. Eep! Still not sure what to wear, but it will probably involve a lot of navy, since that's one of like 3 colors that doesn't clash terribly with my hair, which is still surprisingly pink. 

Navy is always nice with pink.

Just now, sjoh197 said:

Navy is always nice with pink.

It's become my MO. I'm a little sad that I didn't realize that I can't wear red with pink hair without looking like Valentine's Day threw up on me. T_T 

Just now, FoxAndChicken said:

It's become my MO. I'm a little sad that I didn't realize that I can't wear red with pink hair without looking like Valentine's Day threw up on me. T_T 

Lol.... I have the problem of having really really dark brown hair and eyes, but incredibly pale white skin. Like... I'm almost reflective. So a lot of colors just don't look right on me. The good news is that I can get away with some funky colors though. 

My mother and I would go to the mall sometimes and pick out just butt ugly colored floral and patterned stuff to try on with our "good" clothes just for laughs... and some of it would end up looking great on me. :/ 

I finally heard back from the last school!!! I got admitted to all of the 3 schools I applied for (All were masters program without funding, but I'm happy I got in!).

Now it's decision time. Wish everyone still waiting the best of luck!!!

1 minute ago, AlbeeW said:

I finally heard back from the last school!!! I got admitted to all of the 3 schools I applied for (All were masters program without funding, but I'm happy I got in!).

Now it's decision time. Wish everyone still waiting the best of luck!!!

Congrats!!

@FoxAndChicken enjoy your visit! Navy and pink is always a winner - it's what I used to wear when I had pink hair. I've been thinking about dipping into the "oil slick" hair trend...just need to find a decent colourist who's not going to bankrupt me!

3 minutes ago, sjoh197 said:

Lol.... I have the problem of having really really dark brown hair and eyes, but incredibly pale white skin. Like... I'm almost reflective. So a lot of colors just don't look right on me. The good news is that I can get away with some funky colors though. 

My mother and I would go to the mall sometimes and pick out just butt ugly colored floral and patterned stuff to try on with our "good" clothes just for laughs... and some of it would end up looking great on me. :/ 

I saw an article yesterday where these plus sized girls did the measuring and ordering recommended sizes from online retailers to see how they would fit irl compared to how they fit the model. At one point this girl tried on a floral top and her comment was "It's like someone hosted a garden party, but forgot to invite my self esteem." 

I feel like this frequently when I go shopping. 

Congratulations @AlbeeW! Is there a program you're leaning towards?

@hippyscientist my mom recently did an oil slick hair on a client. 

12832477_596465333844871_749400312837836 

@Punk28 What? Why does your PhD need to be online? (Or is it that it has to be part time?) What are you hoping to do with it? You do realize that most PhD programs pay you to attend them, right? Also, your scores/GPA are stellar, even if I can't see the rest of your profile!