WINE, WAIT, AND WHINE THREAD

Dr. Brains

2 hours ago, hippyscientist said:

ummm...oh my god.

oh my god.

I got accepted to my top choice with full funding & moving costs.

oh my god.

The #1 school in the world for what I want to do wants me. :o 

is this real?

YAY I'm so happy for you!! *Throws confetti for you* That's amazing!!!

(Side note: I'm still alive, guys. Just doing a lot of visits and conferences hahahhaha *starts crying a little*)

5 hours ago, thepinkdragon76 said:

Well I guess they thought I was pathetic, which admittedly, I can be, but yeah. I was cyber bullied :wacko: lol 

This site and this process brings out the pathetic in me, too. But people obviously have too much time on their hands. 

Just clicked the "no" button on my Illinois app to notify them that I will not be attending.

While I know this is for the best and gives enough time for people on the waitlist, it felt so final.

NOW, should I send the department head an email saying I will be going to a different school? Or is the online form enough?

@rhombusbombus I'm going to send an email to the PIs, just because they've been in touch quite a lot and I think it's only courteous. And hopefully, we will be able to mingle at conferences. I really want to maximise the contacts I've made during this process, so I'd drop them a quick email to say "I was so pleased to receive the offer of admission, but feel that this isn't the best fit for me. I hope we can still be friends!" but a bit more professional like haha.

Done and done! I think this was professional and open! And it's too late to change it!

Dr. [redacted],

Through much careful consideration I have decided to not attend The University of Illinois for my Ph.D in Entomology.
I appreciate your hospitality through both of my visits and hope the Illinois family will keep me in mind for possible collaborations and post-doc opportunities. The furthering of my studies will be happening at Penn State under the guidance of [redacted]. So I’ll still be in the Illinois family by proxy!

Again, thank you so much for allowing me to visit and believing in me enough to offer me a spot in your amazing department.

2 minutes ago, rhombusbombus said:

@hippyscientist I'm getting really excited! I think the place I'll be staying will allow me to start biking to lab. or at least driving to a parking spot and biking from there!

Where did you find it? I'm looking online now and finding it really tough to find places that aren't rented or that I'll be able to sign a lease on from the UK

so my roommate and i are just going to do toftrees. i think for a 1 bedroom they're kind of expensive, but it's reasonable for a 2 bedroom.

before i had a roommate i was looking on craigslist and hoping they weren't scams. They've been really nice about helping me and I'm in a different state.

1 minute ago, rhombusbombus said:

so my roommate and i are just going to do toftrees. i think for a 1 bedroom they're kind of expensive, but it's reasonable for a 2 bedroom.

before i had a roommate i was looking on craigslist and hoping they weren't scams. They've been really nice about helping me and I'm in a different state.

I was looking at toftrees!! But I need a roommate. Sorry, one more question, where did you find your roommate? I'm a little bit cautious of finding one off craigslist!

12 minutes ago, hippyscientist said:

I was looking at toftrees!! But I need a roommate. Sorry, one more question, where did you find your roommate? I'm a little bit cautious of finding one off craigslist!

I actually met her during recruitment weekend! The main administrative assistant for your department should be able to send an email out to the grad students in your department that you're looking for a roommate. And I think Penn State has a roommate finder somewhere on the official website.

FOUND IT

http://studentaffairs.psu.edu/offcampus/roommatesearch.shtml

Edited by rhombusbombus

13 minutes ago, rhombusbombus said:

I actually met her during recruitment weekend! The main administrative assistant for your department should be able to send an email out to the grad students in your department that you're looking for a roommate. And I think Penn State has a roommate finder somewhere on the official website.

FOUND IT

http://studentaffairs.psu.edu/offcampus/roommatesearch.shtml

AWESOME! Thank you :) Beer/wine needed come August!! 

Well, I've communicated with some of the powers that be, and it looks like I'll perhaps get offered a MS with intention to transition to PhD (provided I prove myself academically) at Northwestern or UMichigan. To some degree it feels like I'd be settling, but given my academic history this may be the best result I can get without a whole bunch of publications (which I will not have by the next cycle). So, good news I guess? I'll have to really shoot for some assistantships or something, as well- I really want to minimize loan damage. Plus, the NSF GRFP could magically be awarded to me (in some crazy world), and that could change the game.

Unsure of what to think right now.

5 hours ago, katpillow said:

Well, I've communicated with some of the powers that be, and it looks like I'll perhaps get offered a MS with intention to transition to PhD (provided I prove myself academically) at Northwestern or UMichigan. To some degree it feels like I'd be settling, but given my academic history this may be the best result I can get without a whole bunch of publications (which I will not have by the next cycle). So, good news I guess? I'll have to really shoot for some assistantships or something, as well- I really want to minimize loan damage. Plus, the NSF GRFP could magically be awarded to me (in some crazy world), and that could change the game.

If Northwestern or UMich are considered settling, then I'd say you're doing just fine :)

9 hours ago, katpillow said:

That sounds positive katpillow. It's clear that your passion is coming through to those at Northwestern or UMichigan. Best of luck and keep us updated :)

I wish there was a chat room. I'm bored and on edge. Tired of hoping and waiting. This cycle of waiting is so different than last year. All these emails,and looks at my LinkedIn etc: I don't want to work myself up with hope or dismay. It's a 50/50 chance and I know it. The waiting is killing me lol.

@thepinkdragon76 Thanks for the suggestion but I got into Texas Tech and received funding so I'm happy! Btw thanks everyone for giving me advice. I really appreciate it! I've been super busy so I haven't been on here for awhile. Now I have no excuse and should actually focus on my school work haha.

On 3/17/2016 at 2:38 PM, katpillow said:

I don't think this is bad news.  It sounds like they think you have potential and want to give you the opportunity to demonstrate you're not only worth the investment of full funding, but you can do better in terms of grades and/or publishing.  Those are both very good schools and they wouldn't waste their time on a candidate that didn't have something to offer.