WINE, WAIT, AND WHINE THREAD

Dr. Brains

1 hour ago, Neist said:

Remember, growth is often difficult, but it's often worth it. :) 

I feel your pain about the email. I really liked the program I turned down, and I hope that I can travel to their archive later in my research. Shame I can't Frankenstein multiple programs into each other and form the perfect, perfect program. 

true! i went through this after undergrad but this time, i'm a little bit more nervous. but i know once i get settled, everything will be just fine. i'm sooo excited to move to nashville!

1 hour ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

Yeah... but once you get all that figured out, it's great to sit back and wait for May :)

you're right. :) i end my current position mid-june, so i'll have a month and a halfish til i move which will be awesome!

New here. Figured this is the best place to stick a first post.

Submitted my application today for the online Special Education program I'm interested in.

Husband is gone tonight so I think after the kids are in bed I'm catching up on Downton Abbey and opening a bottle of wine.

5 minutes ago, susanmr5 said:

New here. Figured this is the best place to stick a first post.

Submitted my application today for the online Special Education program I'm interested in.

Husband is gone tonight so I think after the kids are in bed I'm catching up on Downton Abbey and opening a bottle of wine.

I think you'll find that many here enjoy a good wine'o'clock. :) 

Also, congrats on completing application! Applying is probably the hardest part. Waiting is annoying, but one doesn't need to do much in order to wait.

Edited by Neist

2 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

The fact that you only call waiting "annoying" is clearly a sign that you've chosen your school ;)

Perhaps! :D But I've never enjoyed waiting, for anything. I consider myself a patient person, but only in activity (e.g., I could build a 10,000 piece Lego set without effort). There's something about the helplessness of not being able to contribute that bothers me greatly. 

I can only speak for myself, but what's more helpless feeling than waiting for a decision that could affect your life in significant ways? At least when one produces their application materials, they have a hand in that creation. 

51 minutes ago, Neist said:

Perhaps! :D But I've never enjoyed waiting, for anything. I consider myself a patient person, but only in activity (e.g., I could build a 10,000 piece Lego set without effort). There's something about the helplessness of not being able to contribute that bothers me greatly. 

I can only speak for myself, but what's more helpless feeling than waiting for a decision that could affect your life in significant ways? At least when one produces their application materials, they have a hand in that creation. 

Yep, I can definitely relate to that. Stress that I can do something about? No problem- that's why I want to go to grad school in the first place. But if I'm helpless and just waiting? I'm not going to be in a good place.

1 minute ago, Euler said:

AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!

"I am pleased to inform you that the Math Department will recommend that
you be offered admission and a graduate teaching assistantship."

*happy dance*

Woo hoo! :) 

Is this for Wake Forest?

4 minutes ago, Neist said:

Woo hoo! :) 

Is this for Wake Forest?

2 minutes ago, hippyscientist said:

@Euler yay!!! Woohoo :D happy dance for youuuuu

Thanks to both of you :D

It's to Virginia Tech (gotta update my signature), where I visited and fell in love. I still have eight pending responses, so I don't want to make my final decision until I hear from more, but it's definitely my frontrunner :)

5 hours ago, hippyscientist said:

Figuring out how exactly to do this move is my new puzzle, it's great haha. Flights, baggage, manifest lists, how to get my money over so I have a bit of emergency back up as well as enough for start ups and first month or so of living + car purchase. Sheesh. So much planning and so many expenses! Thankfully the car is an early "death present" from my gran - "I'd give you this money in my will anyway so you might as well get it now and have a safe, useful car". Bit grim but helpful!! 

I'm having to deal with the transatlantic part coming from my current school in the UK, plus having a lot of stuff in my dad's basement halfway across the US (and he probably won't be able to drive it out because of work). And technically a one month overlap between programs, so I'll be going straight from one to the other with no break. I'm basically trying to move from two places at once with no time. I have absolutely no idea how the logistics of this are going to work. Aaaaaaaagh.

1 minute ago, pterosaur said:

I'm having to deal with the transatlantic part coming from my current school in the UK, plus having a lot of stuff in my dad's basement halfway across the US (and he probably won't be able to drive it out because of work). And technically a one month overlap between programs, so I'll be going straight from one to the other with no break. I'm basically trying to move from two places at once with no time. I have absolutely no idea how the logistics of this are going to work. Aaaaaaaagh.

I'm with you. My start date for my PhD is August 15th, my last deadline for my masters is August 19th. At least you have a US presence - but the logistics are a total nightmare!! Big suitcases, hotel stay until I can move into an apartment, US driving test & hijacking my dads business account for international money transfers is where I'm at so far. It's a bloody nightmare haha. Where in the UK are you? 

6 minutes ago, hippyscientist said:

I'm with you. My start date for my PhD is August 15th, my last deadline for my masters is August 19th. At least you have a US presence - but the logistics are a total nightmare!! Big suitcases, hotel stay until I can move into an apartment, US driving test & hijacking my dads business account for international money transfers is where I'm at so far. It's a bloody nightmare haha. Where in the UK are you? 

I'm at Imperial. I'm doing a research degree, so I have some flexibility, but it's incredibly nerve-wracking to have my thesis due in mid-September and my US orientation August 24. I might actually have to fly back to defend at the end of September, if they're not flexible.

4 minutes ago, pterosaur said:

I'm at Imperial. I'm doing a research degree, so I have some flexibility, but it's incredibly nerve-wracking to have my thesis due in mid-September and my US orientation August 24. I might actually have to fly back to defend at the end of September, if they're not flexible.

That's not even "flexible", that's "common sense". That would be a TREMENDOUS inconvenience and they can't possibly expect that from you!

@pterosaur @hippyscientist Another one here facing the transatlantic move! (& 'hello again' to everyone on this thread - it's been ages since I last posted :mellow:)

I'm yet to accept my NU offer formally but it's 95% likely I'll be Evanston-bound from London come August, so I empathise with everyone else moving their lives around the globe. It's both massively exciting and a bit of a headache! Still, in the last few years I've emigrated to NZ with all my worldly goods and then later returned to the UK (for family reasons, not because I didn't like it. New Zealand is awesome!) so I suppose I should be used to it by now!

3 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

That's not even "flexible", that's "common sense". That would be a TREMENDOUS inconvenience and they can't possibly expect that from you!

People on my scholarship (which allows study at any UK university) have had to do this in the past, so it wouldn't be unprecedented. No one has done this particular program before, though.

@pterosaur oh that's a point, I haven't even thought about defending. That would be a pain in the backside. 

@talkingscop NZ is awesome, I loved it when I visited. I used to live in Australia but that was when I was younger (18) and I only had a single bag. Sold whatever I couldn't bring back with me. I've been living on really crappy things - hand-me-down cutlery, clothes, bedding, etc. It all needs throwing away and I can't wait to actually start collecting a few nice things when I get out to the US.

18 minutes ago, hippyscientist said:

I've been living on really crappy things - hand-me-down cutlery, clothes, bedding, etc. It all needs throwing away and I can't wait to actually start collecting a few nice things when I get out to the US.

Yay for nice things!

1 hour ago, Euler said:

Thanks to both of you :D

It's to Virginia Tech (gotta update my signature), where I visited and fell in love. I still have eight pending responses, so I don't want to make my final decision until I hear from more, but it's definitely my frontrunner :)

Btw if you want any recommendations about the area, feel free to ask! I live around the area.

Today on "Stupid things PFB has done..."

Last year, I bought a bike in Boulder to use for the summer - the plan was to sell it at the end of the summer, but I never did because it was so cheap that I would've had to give it away. And since I bought a giant telescope while I was there, I couldn't fit the bike in my car to take back home... I was so sure I was going to go there for grad school that I left it there, locked to a bike rack at my old apartment.

And stupid me didn't even use a combination lock that I could give someone the combination to. No no no, it was a key lock!

In other news, if anyone is going to Boulder, has some bolt cutters, and wants a free bike, let me know :D

I can't believe I just remembered this. I'm so incredibly stupid!

Seriously?!  One of my top choice programs sent me a rejection via snail mail a few weeks ago and the sting was just starting to go away when I open my email and see another rejection from them.  Did they think I wasn't able to comprehend the one they mailed me?  Did they expect a response to the one they mailed me and decided to follow up via email?  Were they just bored and thinking this would be hilarious?!

3 minutes ago, MarineBluePsy said:

Seriously?!  One of my top choice programs sent me a rejection via snail mail a few weeks ago and the sting was just starting to go away when I open my email and see another rejection from them.  Did they think I wasn't able to comprehend the one they mailed me?  Did they expect a response to the one they mailed me and decided to follow up via email?  Were they just bored and thinking this would be hilarious?!

You need to spend a few days thinking up the snarkiest, most passive-aggressive e-mail to send to them :D