WINE, WAIT, AND WHINE THREAD

Dr. Brains

1 hour ago, marycaryne said:

Just checked portal at Florida State and I was accepted!! So happy...this was my top choice! Definitely celebrating today!

I'm so happy for you!!! I wish something magical would happen on the KU portal. Lol still waiting.

I sent my first impatient email today :P One of my applications didn't even say "under review by the department" or really anything at all, so I figured that was a good enough in to ask when I should expect some feedback. Of course, the response was vague and gave no real answers, other than that I'm still up for consideration which I guess is positive! And the response was also copied to the pure math overseer, so I may actually get a more substantial response.

At the weekend visit, I asked some of the other prospectives whether they also had the vast majority of their schools not respond yet, and I was one of several, so my spirits have been bolstered a small amount- hopefully enough that the rest of this waiting doesn't drive me to insanity...no promises, though!

7 minutes ago, Euler said:

I sent my first impatient email today :P One of my applications didn't even say "under review by the department" or really anything at all, so I figured that was a good enough in to ask when I should expect some feedback. Of course, the response was vague and gave no real answers, other than that I'm still up for consideration which I guess is positive! And the response was also copied to the pure math overseer, so I may actually get a more substantial response.

At the weekend visit, I asked some of the other prospectives whether they also had the vast majority of their schools not respond yet, and I was one of several, so my spirits have been bolstered a small amount- hopefully enough that the rest of this waiting doesn't drive me to insanity...no promises, though!

I sent an email today too... asking if they knew a timeline on when funding would be announced, since I got accepted. Then they responded by asking me to elaborate on information I was looking for... and then I again asked if they had a timeline on when assistantship and financial aid info would be available and now I haven't heard anything back. 

9 minutes ago, sjoh197 said:

I sent an email today too... asking if they knew a timeline on when funding would be announced, since I got accepted. Then they responded by asking me to elaborate on information I was looking for... and then I again asked if they had a timeline on when assistantship and financial aid info would be available and now I haven't heard anything back. 

That's a little weird- is that a small department?

10 minutes ago, Euler said:

That's a little weird- is that a small department?

Well.... they have 34 tenured faculty and 18 research professors and 235 grad students. So not really.

But I mean, it will obviously take more than a day. I just thought it was kind of funny that they didn't get that my " I just got accepted. Do you have a funding timeline?" AndI had to specify like assistantship lol

@hippyscientist  Many rentals in US have income requirements.  2.5x the income is the one I see most frequently, but I've seen places in wealthier areas ask for 3x or more and places in not so great areas ask for 1.5-2x.  If your shortage is so minimal it doesn't hurt to call and talk to the leasing agent.  Perhaps they will make an exception if your credit is good, you have additional references, or are willing to pay a larger deposit.

@Pink Fuzzy Bunny  Well thank goodness that square footage doesn't include the bathroom, otherwise you'd have a sanitation issue.

@raaawr  {{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}

14 hours ago, sjoh197 said:

It's really hard to not get in anywhere. I was really depressed afterwards.... but I turned that energy into boosting up my next application. The most embarrassing part was telling my undergrad advisor that I didn't get in and then asking him to write me another letter the next year. He was super cool about it and I ended up getting great letters all around this year. Academia is competitive and sometimes things just don't work out... even if you're a good candidate. Your letter writers know this, and will likely be supportive.

Yeah, I'm really embarrassed to ask my writers to. Did you tell them as soon as you got the rejection or did you tell them when you started a new application?

5 hours ago, raaawr said:

Yeah, I'm really embarrassed to ask my writers to. Did you tell them as soon as you got the rejection or did you tell them when you started a new application?

I told them that I was rejected when I was rejected, but at that point, I hadn't even really thought about reapplying yet. So many things were up in the air. When I finally did decide to reapply, I asked my advisor again, but my other 2 writers were different... although one of them was married to my first letter writer, so its not like he didn't know. 

I've been keeping my letters updated as well, I asked them if they would be my references again if this season didn't end so well. They said sure! No one should be embarrassed, even though that's easier said than done. I think the reason why I wasn't embarrassed was because I saw my friends who graduated before me get rejected. And these people have a much better gpa than me and have actual research ha. So its really a combination of things!

One of my letter writers would only write one, which is why I wasn't able to apply to my backup. But he is an industry professional and put his reputation out there for me. So if I don't get in I'll have to find at least one new recommender for next season, which sucks, since he has the most clout. Fingers crossed. I won't start really panicking until April since my app was in right before the deadline ( which they knew it would be, was waiting on rec letters and had been in contact with the department for about a month prior). I knew from my meeting that I'd be hearing sometime after spring break, so now the real fretting begins. Lol

I only applied to one school last cycle because they said they had rolling admissions...and I applied last May for the fall semester. Needless to say I wasn't successful.

Emailing the professors to let them know was awkward, but I knew I'd be applying again which made it a little better. It helped to know that they've all been through this before- they know it can be a rough and not terribly straightforward process.

I think i've made up my mind but now I need to let down Virginia...and I'm not looking forward to writing that email at all..

Also now freaking out about moving costs, finding a place etc etc. Oooooh dear.

Edited by Effloresce

11 minutes ago, Effloresce said:

I think i've made up my mind but now I need to let down Virginia...and I'm not looking forward to writing that email at all..

Yeah... but once you get all that figured out, it's great to sit back and wait for May :)

14 minutes ago, Effloresce said:

Remember, growth is often difficult, but it's often worth it. :) 

I feel your pain about the email. I really liked the program I turned down, and I hope that I can travel to their archive later in my research. Shame I can't Frankenstein multiple programs into each other and form the perfect, perfect program. 

3 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

But yeah I understand.... moving is more expensive than I thought. I only considered the cost of the moving truck, not buying all new stuff when I get there (curtains, groceries, etc.)

Well, on the bright side, you're in a 200 square foot apartment, yes? You might consider rebuying all your hefty belongings instead of renting a truck to carry them there, unless of course you don't have a car to drive to Ithaca, in which case ignore my comment. :) 

Two hundred square feet couldn't afford much more than a bed, a chair/desk, and a dresser/end table, right?

Figuring out how exactly to do this move is my new puzzle, it's great haha. Flights, baggage, manifest lists, how to get my money over so I have a bit of emergency back up as well as enough for start ups and first month or so of living + car purchase. Sheesh. So much planning and so many expenses! Thankfully the car is an early "death present" from my gran - "I'd give you this money in my will anyway so you might as well get it now and have a safe, useful car". Bit grim but helpful!! 

17 minutes ago, Neist said:

Well, on the bright side, you're in a 200 square foot apartment, yes? You might consider rebuying all your hefty belongings instead of renting a truck to carry them there, unless of course you don't have a car to drive to Ithaca, in which case ignore my comment. :) 

Two hundred square feet couldn't afford much more than a bed, a chair/desk, and a dresser/end table, right?

And it came furnished, so all I have is a desk/chair and barstools (the end of my desk I also use as my dining room table.. hahahaha!) 

I thought about that, but I'm inheriting a lot of furniture from my parents who live here.... bed, mattress, couch, dresser, plus there's an IKEA nearby so I bought some more furniture (there's not one near Ithaca). 

MAN NOW YOU GOT ME ALL EXCITED TO HAVE FURNITURE!!! :D:D:D

@hippyscientist I can't IMAGINE the cost of moving overseas... I don't know how you do it!

Edited by Pink Fuzzy Bunny

2 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

And it came furnished, so all I have is a desk/chair and barstools (the end of my desk I also use as my dining room table.. hahahaha!) 

I thought about that, but I'm inheriting a lot of furniture from my parents who live here.... bed, mattress, couch, dresser, plus there's an IKEA nearby so I bought some more furniture (there's not one near Ithaca). 

MAN NOW YOU GOT ME ALL EXCITED TO HAVE FURNITURE!!! :D:D:D

It's the small joys in life. :) 

If it weren't for my wife and daughter, I'm not even sure if I'd have furniture. I like sitting on the floor. I've even considered investing in a Dharma Desk, although I'm not sure if I'd have room in a house with a bunch of furniture, as is the case now. To be honest, I'm not even sure if I'd have a TV. 

I openly admit I'm a little odd, as anyone who reads through my posts could probably attest. 

10 minutes ago, Neist said:

It's the small joys in life. :) 

If it weren't for my wife and daughter, I'm not even sure if I'd have furniture. I like sitting on the floor. I've even considered investing in a Dharma Desk, although I'm not sure if I'd have room in a house with a bunch of furniture, as is the case now. To be honest, I'm not even sure if I'd have a TV. 

I openly admit I'm a little odd, as anyone who reads through my posts could probably attest. 

The only reason I want a TV is for sport. I'm certainly not going to be spending a lot on one and it might take a while to get round to it. Oddness is awesome :D