WINE, WAIT, AND WHINE THREAD

Dr. Brains

Just now, FoxAndChicken said:

I saw an article yesterday where these plus sized girls did the measuring and ordering recommended sizes from online retailers to see

@hippyscientist my mom recently did an oil slick hair on a client. 

12832477_596465333844871_749400312837836 

This is what I want! That looks awesome!! I went brunette for the first time in years about 4 months ago and I really want pale blue hair but I think I might do oil slick for a bit first, then go nice and pastel for summer proper.

@FoxAndChicken Thanks! That hair color looks so cool! I wish I could dye my hair like that!

I really like the urban planning program at Cal Poly, but the UC Davis transportation technology & policy is also a great choice and it's a lot closer to my boyfriend. I really have to think this through!!! Probably won't be able to sleep tonight!

39 minutes ago, knp said:

@Punk28 What? Why does your PhD need to be online? (Or is it that it has to be part time?) What are you hoping to do with it? You do realize that most PhD programs pay you to attend them, right? Also, your scores/GPA are stellar, even if I can't see the rest of your profile!

There are many reasons people opt to do their degree online. Even if PhD programs pay the student, there may be reasons doing a traditional setting is just not possible.

50 minutes ago, knp said:

@Punk28 What? Why does your PhD need to be online? (Or is it that it has to be part time?) What are you hoping to do with it? You do realize that most PhD programs pay you to attend them, right? Also, your scores/GPA are stellar, even if I can't see the rest of your profile!

It's a bit of a long story, but the issue is that I have three kids, a mortgage, and a husband who will not move. My nearest research institutions are only 30+ miles away, but in Atlanta traffic it can take anywhere between an hour and three hours to get to them. As I'm also the stay-at-home-parent, I work online for a college, and I'm an online freelancer (I write/edit textbooks, design courses, etc.), I have to balance all these constraints. Basically, there is nowhere I can go that is near enough to my home where I can either be back in time for the school bus or have enough free time to earn enough money to cover child care/tuition/my transport costs. 

Ideally, I would like to work as a professor. I'm beginning to apply for roles now as I finish my MA, and this may change where I am able to study if I do not get in to this program, as I'm applying to schools in a five-state area. If someone is willing to give me TAP I will take it with both greedy hands outstretched! 

And thank you! I've tried to be a good student, but I just don't know if it will be good enough to get me in to a program. We'll see. 

There are many great reasons to do an MA online...I do worry about getting a (liberal arts) PhD online, especially if one's goal is to use that degree to become a professor. I've never served as a faculty member, so I don't really know whether that would be a problem, but with the job market as it is these days, I wanted to check in. On forums like this, where one of its reasons for existing is for peers to share information about graduate school/academia, it's a tricky balance between the "hey you do have your eyes open about this, right?" confirmation thing and the "assume that people are adults who know what is best for them" standard of politeness that always applies in real life. I am sympathetic! My father got his law degree while working as our stay-at-home parent, which I now think was great. My mother's best friend stayed at home long enough to have and raise six children, then went back to get her PhD and is now the happy chair of a small university's department near her.  But I've read enough doom and gloom about how hard any faculty position is to get these days, no matter what your credentials, that I thought I should ask.

17 hours ago, Euler said:

Yikes! What is a professor doing disappearing for two weeks in the depths of a semester? What a crazy situation, hope that you can get it resolved super quickly!

I contacted her last night and she uploaded it immediately. Turns out she thought the deadline was end of March. :lol:

Wooooo!

I emailed a few professors that I would like to work with, but only one responded when I sent out a follow up. Should I follow up for a second time, seeing that this week is their break?

The online PhD is a concern if you wish to teach at a top tier school--but then again, any degree that isn't from a top tier school becomes an issue then. It is my intent to teach in the two-year system, and at the moment, my extensive experience in working with students online at my current institution, plus my online experience as a student, mean that at least in-house, I'm considered a resource for online best practices. It doesn't hurt that my last career was as a network analyst, so technology simply doesn't worry me. 

Could I teach somewhere amazing with an online degree? Likely not. But two access institutions in state have approached me, and that's what I wanted. 

5 minutes ago, hippyscientist said:

ummm...oh my god.

oh my god.

I got accepted to my top choice with full funding & moving costs.

oh my god.

The #1 school in the world for what I want to do wants me. :o 

is this real?

Congrats! :D 

12 minutes ago, hippyscientist said:

ummm...oh my god.

oh my god.

oh my god.

is this real?

Congratz, it's happening :)

On March 10, 2016 at 9:57 AM, PattiJeane said:

@pinkdragonslayer76 @ChrisTOEFert @hippyscientist @marycaryne Thanks everyone for the sympathy and kind words. I did get waitlisted this morning from Florida State, one of my top choices, so that is something to be excited about! Takes the sting of rejection away for a bit. :) Happy Friday!

Hahahahah you tagged someone who picked on me last spring instead of me. Lolz

Since KU is on Spring Break, I know that any decision notification will not come until at the very earliest sometime next week. (I applied at the end of February so no biggie.) Over the weekend the director of the program I applied for looked at my LinkedIn and I got a Campus email today talking about how great it is etc. I'm like, quit playing with my emotions already! Financial aid emails, campus visit emails, professors looking at my online footprint. Ack.

Edited to add:

Well it looks like people are getting notifications from KU this week from other programs. Now I'm nervous. I was told by the committee chair I probably wouldn't hear anything until after spring break. So now I'm starting to check my dang email again!

Edited by thepinkdragon76
Update

14 minutes ago, thepinkdragon76 said:

Hahahahah you tagged someone who picked on me last spring instead of me. Lolz

OMG oops! Hahaha... wait someone made a profile just to pick on you?! WTF?

I'm imagining posting a picture of myself wearing my winter hat, infinity scarf and some face paint if I get accepted to KU with a bold "Rock Chalk Jayhacker".....Wishful thinking...... I don't want to get my hopes up.... Ugh please? Lol

20 minutes ago, PattiJeane said:

That is sad. What is this, Yahoo Chat from the 90's? (Well, it sort of looks like that era...) 

Well I guess they thought I was pathetic, which admittedly, I can be, but yeah. I was cyber bullied :wacko: lol 

1 hour ago, hippyscientist said:

ummm...oh my god.

oh my god.

oh my god.

is this real?

Congrats! So so exciting and awesome:D

ummm...oh my god.

oh my god.

oh my god.

is this real?

That is so awesome! Congrats!

ummm...oh my god.

oh my god.

oh my god.

is this real?

Woohooo!! Congratulations, well deserved!

ummm...oh my god.

oh my god.

oh my god.

is this real?

EEK!!! I am SO happy for you!! Congratulations!!! :D:D