WINE, WAIT, AND WHINE THREAD

Dr. Brains

1 minute ago, Need Coffee in an IV said:

haha I'll be living the high life! Washing dishes hurts my hands, so my boyfriend is willing to set that as a requirement. We have to go to a laundry mat but we usually spend only 5-15 a month.

What really screws up the laundry expenses is a child. They make everything messy all the time. :D I've honestly considered investing in a good pair or two of jeans so I never have to wash pants anymore (because you really aren't supposed to wash really raw jeans often, if at all).

We try to buy dish soap that only has natural ingredients in it. It's a little softer on the hands, but it still doesn't fix the problem. :( 

Just now, Neist said:

What really screws up the laundry expenses is a child. They make everything messy all the time. :D I've honestly considered investing in a good pair or two of jeans so I never have to wash pants anymore (because you really aren't supposed to wash really raw jeans often, if at all).

We try to buy dish soap that only has natural ingredients in it. It's a little softer on the hands, but it still doesn't fix the problem. :( 

I would imagine! We are meh about having kids so our lifestyle can easily be supported. I would have to say The Gap has nice jeans, durable and they are often on sale. I use rubber gloves so my hands don't dry out but I get pain in my wrists. No idea why, I've asked my doctor about it. She thinks I put pressure on them, so I usually have to have breaks.

LOL I'm glad I'm not the only one that is excited about possibly having a dishwasher on my next move.  I don't mind handwashing dishes, but it is really time consuming since I take my lunch to work and cook regularly.  

9 minutes ago, MarineBluePsy said:

LOL I'm glad I'm not the only one that is excited about possibly having a dishwasher on my next move.  I don't mind handwashing dishes, but it is really time consuming since I take my lunch to work and cook regularly.  

I've always had a dishwasher (thank goodness) but this time I'll have a WASHER AND DRYER IN MY OWN APARTMENT. AND A GARBAGE DISPOSAL.

I'll be living like a queen! And I won't have to pay $6 and have to go outside to do a load of laundry!

Im freaking out about my washer and dryer in my grad school apartment too!

But i am trying to pare down my wardrobe to essentials. A capsule wardrobe is my farfetched goal

Yall, its 55 degrees where i am and im freezing. Penn state weather is gonna kick my butt. 

@Pink Fuzzy Bunny  No garbage disposal?  What do you do with the disposal stuff then?  I didn't realize places were built without them.

I don't know if my new digs will have a washer and dryer in unit.  That would certainly be nice since during busier times I do 5+ loads a week.  It's the price I pay for needing so many clothes for so many different occasions.  I have been pondering a capsule wardrobe for school though since I did something similar for work and have grown to love not thinking about what to wear each morning.  I just haven't decided on the right look for a grad student yet.  

My place doesn't have a garbage disposal. I just make sure I wipe everything into the trashcan, I live in an old duplex so it makes sense I don't have one. And tbh I wouldn't want a capsule wardrobe. But I love picking out what I'm going to wear. Clinton Kelly from What Not to Wear is one of my favorite celebrities.

@Need Coffee in an IV  I too love picking out what to wear, when I have oodles of time to lay out different options....hate them all....start over....ponder buying something new....dig through my closet again......hit the stores and decide I hate everything.....and dramatically whine to everyone who'll listen that I have nothing to wear lol.  Maybe I saw too many tv shows and movies featuring gals doing those endless clothing montages when I was younger lmao.  

What Not to Wear is an awesome show and I also like Trinny and Susannah's (they have a youtube channel) advice and body shape guide.  How to Look Good Naked is also a good show.

1 hour ago, MarineBluePsy said:

@Need Coffee in an IV  I too love picking out what to wear, when I have oodles of time to lay out different options....hate them all....start over....ponder buying something new....dig through my closet again......hit the stores and decide I hate everything.....and dramatically whine to everyone who'll listen that I have nothing to wear lol.  Maybe I saw too many tv shows and movies featuring gals doing those endless clothing montages when I was younger lmao.  

What Not to Wear is an awesome show and I also like Trinny and Susannah's (they have a youtube channel) advice and body shape guide.  How to Look Good Naked is also a good show.

Haha my boyfriend says I have clothes that are the exact same throughout my closet, but in my defense there is a difference between brown oxfords and brown heels! I haven't heard of those, I need to check them out.

@Need Coffee in an IV  LMAO of course he thinks they're the same.  I have enough black shoes to fill a large suitcase and of course a guy would say they're all the same.  They just don't notice a half inch difference in height, a pump versus a wedge, patent leather versus non, etc lol.

@rhombusbombus  Sometimes grad students are eligible for SNAP benefits.  When applying they take your income and family size into consideration, so it couldn't hurt to look into it if your stipend is on the low side.

4 hours ago, Need Coffee in an IV said:

My place doesn't have a garbage disposal. I just make sure I wipe everything into the trashcan, I live in an old duplex so it makes sense I don't have one. And tbh I wouldn't want a capsule wardrobe. But I love picking out what I'm going to wear. Clinton Kelly from What Not to Wear is one of my favorite celebrities.

No garbage disposal would be a biiiig no for me... Lol

And the lack of washer/dryer is a big no too, since we're washing business clothes and such. And a patio for all of my precious plants. Makes things really expensive lol. We'll be signing a new lease in may and hopefully will only be paying $1300 for 750sqft rather than the $1600 we pay for 649sqft now.

@MarineBluePsy Exactly my point! I tried explaining the difference between a cross-body and a tote. I saw his eyes glaze over and knew he was gone haha.

@sjoh197 Tbh I haven't missed the disposal that much. I would love a washer/dryer but its not a deal breaker! We do have a deck and we look out onto trees. We are going to miss this apartment. Its a nice size and has a lot of windows. We are able to hear the birds and feel a cool breeze. Now if only we can make this into a house and transport it to Lubbock. I'm sure I could convince Pixar to help out ha

I'm excited to move out of this apartment... 200 square feet, one window, no disposal/washer/dryer, and I've gotten three fines so far for leaving dishes out to dry because it says in my lease I'm not allowed to do that.

FINALLY A REASONABLE LANDLORD!!

Well I don't have to send a rejection letter to UCR bc the PI there decided not to sign for me. I think it was because she knew I had such good offers from Illinois and penn State. I'm kind of glad bc I was gonna send her an email to not consider me!

I'm only bummed bc I'd like to have had a clean sweep of the places I applied to, but that's a first world problem!

I haven't even THOUGHT about business clothes! I have a July start date at Penn State and am going to be able to go to a huge pollinator conference on campus and idk if any of my nicer business clothes even fit me. 

9 minutes ago, rhombusbombus said:

I haven't even THOUGHT about business clothes! I have a July start date at Penn State and am going to be able to go to a huge pollinator conference on campus and idk if any of my nicer business clothes even fit me. 

Thats how i feel about my field clothes. Just realized I will be trekking in a month and a half and haven't really re-stocked my field clothes. I'm just not the same size 2 that I used to be... And some of my stuff disappeared after my field course last summer. Buying new clothes sucks when its so expensive ;)

alksdjlasfjh'afhdsfdjfha FIELD CLOTHES!! FUUUUUUU

I haven't thought about that stuff either!! effity eff effffff!!

I usually just wear jeans, but I've gotten rid of all my junky stuff. I'm realizing that I haven't really thought things through. Where can one get some comfy khakis? (light colors to prevent looking like a bear and getting stung)

6 minutes ago, rhombusbombus said:

alksdjlasfjh'afhdsfdjfha FIELD CLOTHES!! FUUUUUUU

I haven't thought about that stuff either!! effity eff effffff!!

I usually just wear jeans, but I've gotten rid of all my junky stuff. I'm realizing that I haven't really thought things through. Where can one get some comfy khakis? (light colors to prevent looking like a bear and getting stung)

I actually get a lot of my field clothes on eBay... Only thing I ever actually use eBay for. Get all my convertible north face pants on there for about $15 each. And exofficio nylon long sleeve convertibles for about the same price. Women's hiking clothes are more prevalent with the "worn once, like new".

Also, campsaver.com has some legit deals on brand name stuff. Got my lowa renegades on there. I will never use another hiking boot for as long as those exist.

We hiked over 300 miles in June/July for my field course so jeans have never been an option ;)

Edited by sjoh197

3 hours ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

I'm excited to move out of this apartment... 200 square feet, one window, no disposal/washer/dryer, and I've gotten three fines so far for leaving dishes out to dry because it says in my lease I'm not allowed to do that.

FINALLY A REASONABLE LANDLORD!!

200 square feet?!  :blink:  That is the size of one of my closets!  Good heavens how is that even liveable?

@Effloresce  hehehe I know what you mean.  I keep hearing my mother's voice in my head screaming at me to make sure I pack enough underwear.  *sigh* as if there aren't stores that sell underwear all over the place lol.

@Pink Fuzzy Bunny that sounds horrible in terms of landlord. Not being able to leave things out to dry would drive me up the wall. I'm from the UK where everything is small - where I live at the minute is a 9ft x 10 ft room + a galley kitchen & tiny bathroom - I could sit on the toilet and have a shower at the same time if I wanted. Looking at US apartments and a room is bigger than my entire living space here! I also have never ever had a garbage disposal so it would be kinda cool to have one of those but certainly not essential. Again washer/dryer would be great but it's not a deal breaker.

I've been talking to my new PIs ex students who are now professors themselves - one got their PhD in 2013 and is already a professor at a very good university. That's nuts. They have only nice things to say about the PI and I can't quite believe that's going to be my life in a few months!!! Yikes.

4 hours ago, hippyscientist said:

@Pink Fuzzy Bunny that sounds horrible in terms of landlord. Not being able to leave things out to dry would drive me up the wall. I'm from the UK where everything is small - where I live at the minute is a 9ft x 10 ft room + a galley kitchen & tiny bathroom - I could sit on the toilet and have a shower at the same time if I wanted. Looking at US apartments and a room is bigger than my entire living space here! I also have never ever had a garbage disposal so it would be kinda cool to have one of those but certainly not essential. Again washer/dryer would be great but it's not a deal breaker.

I've been talking to my new PIs ex students who are now professors themselves - one got their PhD in 2013 and is already a professor at a very good university. That's nuts. They have only nice things to say about the PI and I can't quite believe that's going to be my life in a few months!!! Yikes.

Awesome!! Seems like you won the PI lottery :D

Okay so those of you who've done the US renting thing. An apartment I really like requires my monthly income to be 2.5x rent, and it's about $50 shy, otherwise I have to have a guarentor (who has to be in the US - not helpful haha). Reckon that will be an issue? They can't process an application without the deposit, which means sending via money order which is more expensive so I don't want to send the money and not get the apartment. Sorry, not too familiar with US processes!