WINE, WAIT, AND WHINE THREAD

Dr. Brains

I can definitely say that without Grad Cafe or this particular forum - I would have gone insane months ago.  I am pleased and excited to announce that I got into my number one school :D I hope everyone else hears back from their respective programs.  May the odds be ever in your favor! Good luck!!! 

5 minutes ago, easybreezy said:

I can definitely say that without Grad Cafe or this particular forum - I would have gone insane months ago.  I am pleased and excited to announce that I got into my number one school :D I hope everyone else hears back from their respective programs.  May the odds be ever in your favor! Good luck!!! 

Congrats! :D 

6 hours ago, hippyscientist said:

Okay guys, this is going to sound awful - does anyone feel like their accepted school made a mistake taking them? There is no way I belong in the top 2-3 applicants at this school. Still wrapping my head around it!! Tomorrow is the day the apartment application gets sent - more nervous about this than the grad school applications!!! 

So everything worked out with the income then?  I must say I'm amazed at those of you moving to a whole new country to further your studies.  As much as I love other cultures and desire to travel the world I don't see myself staying somewhere more than a few weeks without coming home.

6 hours ago, hippyscientist said:

Okay guys, this is going to sound awful - does anyone feel like their accepted school made a mistake taking them? There is no way I belong in the top 2-3 applicants at this school. Still wrapping my head around it!! Tomorrow is the day the apartment application gets sent - more nervous about this than the grad school applications!!! 

OMG YES. I'm going to Cornell and I don't even know how to tie my shoes!!

@easybreezy CONGRATULATIONS! This forum is such an awesome support system. 

@MarineBluePsy we will find out! It's a weird deal but I've talked to students living there - application fee with security deposit, then you find out whether you get the apartment. If you don't they refund the money. I just want it sorted, I'll be happy then. I've always been adventurous so I'm cool with moving. there's just a lot to do while doing a masters. 

@Pink Fuzzy Bunny oh good I'm glad there's another one. The day I found out, I'd tripped over my own feet, headbutted my door and given myself a nosebleed. I thought that there was no way I was going to end up doing a doctoral program. Haha

Got into my top choice too!!!  Extremely generous funding package!!!  I have to relocate to Copenhagen from my home in Toronto.  There is still hope everyone!  Now to just sort through the craigslist fakes/scams and to find a decent apartment that isn't going to break me!

1 minute ago, ChrisTOEFert said:

Got into my top choice too!!!  Extremely generous funding package!!!  I have to relocate to Copenhagen from my home in Toronto.  There is still hope everyone!  Now to just sort through the craigslist fakes/scams and to find a decent apartment that isn't going to break me!

Congrats! And wow! That's quite a relocation! I had briefly considered applying to a Medicine, Culture, and Society program at the University of Copenhagen, but my POI is retiring later this year. Boo.

2 minutes ago, Neist said:

Congrats! And wow! That's quite a relocation! I had briefly considered applying to a Medicine, Culture, and Society program at the University of Copenhagen, but my POI is retiring later this year. Boo.

Awww that sucks.  But Oklahoma has better weather :P you'll like it.  My sister lives down there.

1 minute ago, ChrisTOEFert said:

Awww that sucks.  But Oklahoma has better weather :P you'll like it.  My sister lives down there.

Yeah, It'll be more painless at any rate. :) I'm interested in scientific biographies, and the most published scholar on the subject was the director of the Medical Museion, Thomas Söderqvist. 

I need help! I'm over thinking this email, for sure. I want to email my top choice where I am wait-listed and let them know that I am still very interested. How would you word this? I don't want to sound like a nag (they emailed me over a month ago and I responded right away to acknowledge/thank/etc. but haven't emailed since) but I also want to impress upon them how much I want to go there... HALP. I'm a writer and I can't write this email! 

2 minutes ago, yayspace said:

I need help! I'm over thinking this email, for sure. I want to email my top choice where I am wait-listed and let them know that I am still very interested. How would you word this? I don't want to sound like a nag (they emailed me over a month ago and I responded right away to acknowledge/thank/etc. but haven't emailed since) but I also want to impress upon them how much I want to go there... HALP. I'm a writer and I can't write this email! 

I'm not sure, but please let me know how you do write it, one of my friends is in the same position. Either PM it or post it in here, if you're comfortable doing that.

@hippyscientist Ha, the other prospective grad student I stayed with at Cornell knew me on here. Today I learned the Internet is not anonymous :P

5 minutes ago, yayspace said:

"Dear XYZ,

While I appreciate this is a very busy time for you and the department, I just wanted to let you know of my continued interest in the program at XYZ university. If there is anything further I can do in the meantime please let me know.

With thanks and best wishes,

yayspace"

Or something to that effect is what I would write.

1 minute ago, hippyscientist said:

"Dear XYZ,

While I appreciate this is a very busy time for you and the department, I just wanted to let you know of my continued interest in the program at XYZ university. If there is anything further I can do in the meantime please let me know.

yayspace"

This is great. Thank you! Now, to make sure I don't actually sign off as yayspace.... ;)

6 minutes ago, hippyscientist said:

"Dear XYZ,

yayspace"

@Pink Fuzzy Bunny Here's what I've got:

Dear Dr. XXXXX,

Thank you again for letting me know about the status of my application in the Creative Writing PhD program. While I appreciate this is a very busy time for you and the department, I want to let you know of my continued interest in the program. If there is anything further I can do in the meantime, please let me know.

Thank you for your time,

Best Wishes,
yayspace (but my real name instead)

15 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

I'm not sure, but please let me know how you do write it, one of my friends is in the same position. Either PM it or post it in here, if you're comfortable doing that.

@hippyscientist Ha, the other prospective grad student I stayed with at Cornell knew me on here. Today I learned the Internet is not anonymous :P

oh no the internet is far from anonymous. I try to be pretty careful of what goes into the accessible domain! But hey, I'm not hiding anything haha.

21 minutes ago, hippyscientist said:

oh no the internet is far from anonymous. I try to be pretty careful of what goes into the accessible domain! But hey, I'm not hiding anything haha.

In a few decades we'll be able to look at the Facebook page of presidential candidates going back to their teenager years, so I'm pretty sure this is just an awkward phase transitioning to more public identities. In forty years, no one will care, I'm guessing.

2 minutes ago, Effloresce said:

i'm sick...again. ugh.

Ack! Sorry to hear that. :( Get some rest! And get off of Grad Cafe, if it helps.

5 minutes ago, Neist said:

Ack! Sorry to hear that. :( Get some rest! And get off of Grad Cafe, if it helps.

it's okay! it's funny, I was sick the week before my Vanderbilt interview, well for the interview, and now sick the week after haha. 

unfortunately, I have a lot of stuff to do in lab still..but I've been falling asleep very shortly after getting home. ^_^