WINE, WAIT, AND WHINE THREAD

Dr. Brains

1 minute ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

You need to spend a few days thinking up the snarkiest, most passive-aggressive e-mail to send to them :D

LOL I really thought about that, but then I remembered that my area of research is a close community and wherever I end up going those professors will know these ones.  Just my luck they'd forward said passive-aggressive email like a chain letter and then my reputation would be ruined before the semester starts lol.

@Neist I agree on the application being the hardest part. I spent all that time worrying about my statement of purpose and now that I've gotten everything together and submitted...

I'm a bit bored. Well, as bored as I can be with two kids, full time job, and messy house! 

But knowing that it's out of my control kind of helps a bit. I never had any anxiety when applying for undergrad. I had a safe-choice college that I knew would accept me and it was the only place I applied. This is a bit different because if I get accepted it's going to change my career and give me all sorts of job security if everything goes well.

Good thing it's the extra-large bottle of wine...

1 hour ago, thepinkdragon76 said:

I figured my name is so common it really didn't matter if I posted it. LOL I am so HAPPY:D

Congrats! Ride the high! :P 

52 minutes ago, susanmr5 said:

@Neist I agree on the application being the hardest part. I spent all that time worrying about my statement of purpose and now that I've gotten everything together and submitted...

I'm a bit bored. Well, as bored as I can be with two kids, full time job, and messy house! 

But knowing that it's out of my control kind of helps a bit. I never had any anxiety when applying for undergrad. I had a safe-choice college that I knew would accept me and it was the only place I applied. This is a bit different because if I get accepted it's going to change my career and give me all sorts of job security if everything goes well.

Good thing it's the extra-large bottle of wine...

I'm a parent with a full-time job, too. I feel your pain! :) I haven't even revisited my application materials, and I doubt I ever will unless I need to. I'm fairly afraid I'm going to find glaring errors in them.

IUPUI just told me they never received my transcripts even though I sent them in Oct and every other school received them. I double checked with the registrar and was able to confirmed that 1) I sent them, 2) They were sent to the right address, and 3) It was before the deadline. Deadline was Jan 15th and they never told me that my application was incomplete/never saw it on their website. So I'm going to assume I'll be rejected even though they said they will still look at my application.....

26 minutes ago, Need Coffee in an IV said:

IUPUI just told me they never received my transcripts even though I sent them in Oct and every other school received them. I double checked with the registrar and was able to confirmed that 1) I sent them, 2) They were sent to the right address, and 3) It was before the deadline. Deadline was Jan 15th and they never told me that my application was incomplete/never saw it on their website. So I'm going to assume I'll be rejected even though they said they will still look at my application.....

Ack!

Well, on the plus side, I'm not sure if it would have been fun to fight with support staff if such occurrences are common. Every time I hit a hiccup, I like to tell myself that. For example, RPI still hasn't given me a rejection, either via their portal, mail, or email. The program's wave of acceptances went out Feb. 4-6. At this point I'm curious if they'll ever notify me. <_<

Although, it is a fun game to see what happens. 

28 minutes ago, Neist said:

Ack!

Well, on the plus side, I'm not sure if it would have been fun to fight with support staff if such occurrences are common. Every time I hit a hiccup, I like to tell myself that. For example, RPI still hasn't given me a rejection, either via their portal, mail, or email. The program's wave of acceptances went out Feb. 4-6. At this point I'm curious if they'll ever notify me. <_<

Although, it is a fun game to see what happens. 

I think I wouldn't be as annoyed as I am if they emailed me vs me emailing them because I've heard nothing. I'm pretty sure if I didn't email them, I would never had received a decision.

41 minutes ago, Need Coffee in an IV said:

I think I wouldn't be as annoyed as I am if they emailed me vs me emailing them because I've heard nothing. I'm pretty sure if I didn't email them, I would never had received a decision.

I emailed RPI at the end of February. They told me it'd be early March, and I'd be notified for sure. It's past early March. :D 

Just now, Neist said:

I emailed RPI at the end of February. They told me it'd be early March, and I'd be notified for sure. It's past early March. :D 

I mean what do you expect, its not like they are getting paid to notify us or anything <_<. Btw that's my first emoji ever haha

This is made easier with the Colorado acceptance, but good god does Washington take forever. They're my number one choice and the last school I'm waiting on, so dragging this out is killing me.

Okay guys, this is going to sound awful - does anyone feel like their accepted school made a mistake taking them? There is no way I belong in the top 2-3 applicants at this school. Still wrapping my head around it!! Tomorrow is the day the apartment application gets sent - more nervous about this than the grad school applications!!! 

6 minutes ago, hippyscientist said:

Okay guys, this is going to sound awful - does anyone feel like their accepted school made a mistake taking them? There is no way I belong in the top 2-3 applicants at this school. Still wrapping my head around it!! Tomorrow is the day the apartment application gets sent - more nervous about this than the grad school applications!!! 

I don't have imposter syndrome, but I'm a little shocked I got funding at the school I'm attending in the fall. I met the other funded applicant (there's only one other funded individual), and their experience was far more impressive than mine. :wacko:

I'm chalking up my luck to fit. I'm an exceptional fit in the program. I could probably work with at least half of the faculty members.

Edited by Neist
Typos.

1 minute ago, Neist said:

I don't have imposter syndrome, but I'm a little shocked I got funding at the school I'm attending in the fall. I met the other funded applicants, and their experience was far more impressive than mine. :wacko:

I'm chalking up my luck to fit. I'm an exceptional fit in the program. I could probably work with at least half of the faculty members.

Never even thought of it as imposter syndrome but I guess it is a little. I have faith in my abilities, I just didn't think I was this good. Apparently people around me think differently.

I think you are right - fit is key. So is personality fit. I gelled very well with my advisor and bonded with the grad students I met when I visited and I think that helped a lot.

I need to try and re-direct my focus to finishing up my MSc work - 10,000 words to write by April and then 16 weeks for my research project. Add on visas and everything and I have no brain space left hah.

2 hours ago, Need Coffee in an IV said:

I mean what do you expect, its not like they are getting paid to notify us or anything <_<. Btw that's my first emoji ever haha

Be careful! They are addicting! ^_^

3 minutes ago, hippyscientist said:

Never even thought of it as imposter syndrome but I guess it is a little. I have faith in my abilities, I just didn't think I was this good. Apparently people around me think differently.

I think you are right - fit is key. So is personality fit. I gelled very well with my advisor and bonded with the grad students I met when I visited and I think that helped a lot.

I need to try and re-direct my focus to finishing up my MSc work - 10,000 words to write by April and then 16 weeks for my research project. Add on visas and everything and I have no brain space left hah.

Good luck on your work! If you need encouragement, I hear Grad Cafe is fairly friendly. :)