WINE, WAIT, AND WHINE THREAD

Dr. Brains

I'm finally starting to de-stress about grad school applications, only because my job has become crazily overwhelmed in the last two weeks and everyone's feeling the brunt of it.

I cannot wait to use my vacation days on some campus visits!

11 minutes ago, RCtheSS said:

I'm finally starting to de-stress about grad school applications, only because my job has become crazily overwhelmed in the last two weeks and everyone's feeling the brunt of it.

I cannot wait to use my vacation days on some campus visits!

Same, although I think I'm finally slowing down. However, they are starting some major construction in the building I'm in soon, so who knows how that'll affect things.

I'm a bit late to the party, but congrats @SLPgradstudent! :) Haven't been trolling these boards last day or two as much as I usually do.

• Email was VERY misleading. Said there had been a change in my status, that I would be receiving log in credentials soon and that I should check the website for the official letter. I got super excited, then super sad when I found out I had been rejected. Ok, starting to sweat a little.

That's brutal.

I don't understand why foreign schools have such a hard time determining a specific date by which they send out notifications. I work at the Department of Admissions here in Poland, major university. I am in fact the person taking administrative care of graduate admissions, and we always HAVE TO specify a date in our schedule – published at least six months in advance – when notifications of admission go out. So much easier for applicants. But it doesn't allow for delays, so the faculty is not always happy about it.

Anyway, I emailed admissions at Oxford and they said nothing is fixed yet, they will begin contacting people over the next two weeks at OII... back to reading prospective advisor's articles, I suppose.

I'm 9 for 9 with rejections from all the schools I've heard from since mid December. There isn't enough beer and wine in the greater Chicago area to meet my needs this evening. I'm going to have to get serious... bring on the tequila.

I'm having one of those days where I realize that I moved to a city that I don't know and don't really like, have no friends here, no real hobbies here. Just nothing. And no job prospects because oil is down and out. This one grad school app is pretty much the only thing I'm holding out for at this point. I suspect it is going to be a depressing weekend. 

5 hours ago, Nirvik said:

I am on a mission here. If someday I become a professor and I am in the admissions committee, I will become something like a liaison for folks who are waiting for their results. Maybe give some hopes and shed some light on the next generation of applicants who are in the same boat as we are right now :D 

YES, THIS. I will definitely stay in contact. Though would it really help to hear from an adcomm that "the committee will be meeting next week"? Doesn't that just add to the stress?

14 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

YES, THIS. I will definitely stay in contact. Though would it really help to hear from an adcomm that "the committee will be meeting next week"? Doesn't that just add to the stress?

I just gotta make sure not to inform you guys about the admission committee's meetings then :D Anyways, dunno if committee members are allowed to discuss those. lol. But I can maybe put up something like Admissions review going on and what the department is looking for that year and stuff. Like what are common traits that the department has found admissible. That would give some relief for some applicants hopefully :P 

@Nirvik and @Pink Fuzzy Bunny I feel really fortunate in that one of the professors really DID do this! They'd let us know what was going on, what the adcomm was doing, and would ask how I was doing as well! It was totally different from some other programs where I applied...like....still waiting to hear back from a few programs and they've been dead silent about responding to emails, even the email where I was like YO I'M OUT PEACE BYE.

2 hours ago, SLPgradstudent said:

*waves!*  We're all here because getting into grad school for SLP is crazy competitive, and we're all afraid we won't get in anywhere.  The program I'm starting in the fall has about 25 spots for a pool of about 400 applicants.  I still can't believe I got in!

That, plus people spam the results board with a bunch of questions that should be put in the forum...  All from TODAY:

• I was wondering if anyone has heard from the University of Delaware? If so, do you have any idea when they will be letting us know if we were accepted or not? Good luck to everyone!
  • To the poster below, I don't know when we'll hear from App State but last year the earliest anyone heard was April 13th so unfortunately I think we have a while. Please post if you call or hear otherwise!
  • Does anyone know when we will hear back from App state about decisions?
  • Has anybody else decided on Northeastern yet? I'm accepting my offer (they were my first choice) I was wondering if we should make a Facebook group like past cohorts have? Too early?
  • Had my interview on February 6th. Anyone else who had an interview in the past two weeks, have you heard back with any results (accepted; wait listed; rejection...anything?).
  • Has anyone interviewed for Mercy yet? I have my interview next week and wanted to get some feedback! Good luck to all those interviewing :)
  • I'm getting very anxious waiting for them! Does anyone know when we might hear back?
  • I interviewed last Friday and have not received a phone call or letter in the mail.

Just now, DC1020 said:

That, plus people spam the results board with a bunch of questions that should be put in the forum...  All from TODAY:

• I was wondering if anyone has heard from the University of Delaware? If so, do you have any idea when they will be letting us know if we were accepted or not? Good luck to everyone!
  • To the poster below, I don't know when we'll hear from App State but last year the earliest anyone heard was April 13th so unfortunately I think we have a while. Please post if you call or hear otherwise!
  • Has anybody else decided on Northeastern yet? I'm accepting my offer (they were my first choice) I was wondering if we should make a Facebook group like past cohorts have? Too early?
  • Had my interview on February 6th. Anyone else who had an interview in the past two weeks, have you heard back with any results (accepted; wait listed; rejection...anything?).
  • Has anyone interviewed for Mercy yet? I have my interview next week and wanted to get some feedback! Good luck to all those interviewing :)
  • I'm getting very anxious waiting for them! Does anyone know when we might hear back?
  • I interviewed last Friday and have not received a phone call or letter in the mail.

Last Thursday there was a WHOLE PAGE (25) of people talking about Yale. No decisions, just talking... >_>

1 minute ago, DC1020 said:

It's stuff like this that really makes me not want to email the administrative lady at my top choice to see if she could hint on a date I might hear back from. I really want to know, but I don't want to be this person haha. The logical (and dominant) part of my brain realises that I will find out in due course, and really a little bit more patience is only going to help me at this point. 

57 minutes ago, Cat_Robutt said:

@Nirvik and @Pink Fuzzy Bunny I feel really fortunate in that one of the professors really DID do this! They'd let us know what was going on, what the adcomm was doing, and would ask how I was doing as well! It was totally different from some other programs where I applied...like....still waiting to hear back from a few programs and they've been dead silent about responding to emails, even the email where I was like YO I'M OUT PEACE BYE.

That's a diamond in the rough right there! You won't find such generous professors who take the time from their busy schedules and admissions work and inquire about how you are doing and how far the admissions process has reached. You got real lucky :D

3 hours ago, Aldona said:

I don't understand why foreign schools have such a hard time determining a specific date by which they send out notifications. I work at the Department of Admissions here in Poland, major university. I am in fact the person taking administrative care of graduate admissions, and we always HAVE TO specify a date in our schedule – published at least six months in advance – when notifications of admission go out. So much easier for applicants. But it doesn't allow for delays, so the faculty is not always happy about it.

Oh, how I wish more US schools operated this way. April 15th is a firm deadline for many, but knowing how much is at stake -- potential relocation, employment changes, etc. -- holding themselves accountable to an earlier deadline would be wonderful. Oh well. I guess it's good practice for us when we're in academia and see things move at a glacial pace. 

16 minutes ago, Euler said:

AAAAAH I got invited to a (reimbursed!) school visit! Finally, some positive news! :D

Congratulation and enjoy your trip! :D

9 minutes ago, hippyscientist said:

YAY @RCtheSS and @Euler and anyone else with good news this last friday in Februgatory.

March is coming......

We still have Monday as the last day of Feb :) Time is trolling us hix

May be a lot of schools will release everything on Monday?

9 minutes ago, hippyscientist said:

YAY @RCtheSS and @Euler and anyone else with good news this last friday in Februgatory.

March is coming......

Finally! The most dreaded month for graduate applicants is coming to an end. Enjoy the upcoming admits and rejects game this March!

Februgatory is in its last hours, even if we count up through Monday. I am in the last hour of when I was told notices might go out (a vague "next week" thing last week, and thus we are at the end of it). All hope gone. I just want them to put me out of my misery.

On the plus side, my spouse just got a really awesome job offer this morning, so even if I'm stuck in my current bleak darkness for another year, at least we will be making some phat ca$h. :P

(Honestly, though, I'd live in poverty if I could be living my dream... :(:(:( )

Edited by The Interdisciplinarian

2 hours ago, DC1020 said:

I got several down votes in another thread for pointing out how those kinds of comments don't go in the results thread and all they do is clog it. 

6 minutes ago, The Interdisciplinarian said:

Februgatory is in its last hours, even if we count up through Monday. I am in the last hour of when I was told notices might go out (a vague "next week" thing last week, and thus we are at the end of it). All hope gone. I just want them to put me out of my misery.

On the plus side, my spouse just got a really awesome job offer this morning, so even if I'm stuck in my current bleak darkness for another year, at least we will be making some phat ca$h. :P

(Honestly, though, I'd live in poverty if I could be living my dream... :(:(:( )

They haven't told you yet? Guess they are really dragging their feet. :(