Fall 2016 Acceptances, Interviews, and Rejections Thread

gingin6789

3 hours ago, puton said:

Am I the only one not to have heard from UCLA?

Meeeeeee.  I bet you, like all the other UC's, they're having their recruitment weekend soon, and will send out more acceptances if they don't get the numbers they need.  So no guarantee more acceptances down the line, but it's possible.  And hey, at least we didn't get rejected yet, right?

36 minutes ago, 123letsgo said:

Meeeeeee.  I bet you, like all the other UC's, they're having their recruitment weekend soon, and will send out more acceptances if they don't get the numbers they need.  So no guarantee more acceptances down the line, but it's possible.  And hey, at least we didn't get rejected yet, right?

I'm thinking that those who haven't heard anything either way are probably on a wait list. UCLA competes with the other top tens, so it is likely that some people will decline and other offers will be sent out.

9 hours ago, puton said:

Am I the only one not to have heard from UCLA?

6 hours ago, 123letsgo said:

5 hours ago, MaxWeberHasAPosse said:

I'm thinking that those who haven't heard anything either way are probably on a wait list. UCLA competes with the other top tens, so it is likely that some people will decline and other offers will be sent out.

I also haven't heard from them, but in the previous years many rejections were sent at the end of February, so I am assuming a rejection. But I hope that you guys are right..

14 minutes ago, sts4656 said:

Haven't heard anything from them.. :/

Hi ,

Admission decisions should be announced by the end of the month.

Thank you,
Ryan

Ryan Sawicki
Graduate Program Assistant
NU Sociology Department

Edited by flatnwhite

Just now, flatnwhite said:

Hi Daniel,

Admission decisions should be announced by the end of the month.

Thank you,
Ryan

Ryan Sawicki
Graduate Program Assistant
NU Sociology Department

Thank you so much for informing @flatnwhite, I want this period of waiting to come to an end.. 

19 hours ago, kelris said:

any news on northwestern? 

Northwestern decisions will go out tomorrow. I just heard back from a doc student in the program I've been in touch with who would definitely know. Last year they went out on the same day (Thursday of the 3rd week) at 6-6:30 am. Good luck everyone. 

1 hour ago, ChicagoGuy said:

Northwestern decisions will go out tomorrow. I just heard back from a doc student in the program I've been in touch with who would definitely know. Last year they went out on the same day (Thursday of the 3rd week) at 6-6:30 am. Good luck everyone. 

NU applicants, brace yourselves. 

39 minutes ago, HopefulSocPhD said:

NYU just sent my official email rejection from the Ph.D. program and an acceptance into the M.A. in Applied Quantitative Research. Hm...

To be honest, I didn't realize that I applied to their Masters program. Go figure.

I just received the same rejection, with the same offer to join their MA program. It looks like they extended this offer to quite a few of their applicants.

Does anyone have any information on this?

I believe a number of programs do this, offer a MA place to some of their really good applicants that they didn't have enough space for in the PhD programs.  A couple of my applications asked whether if I was rejected from the PhD program I would want to be considered for the MA.  

Is it a funded MA?  

1 hour ago, HopefulSocPhD said:

NYU just sent my official email rejection from the Ph.D. program and an acceptance into the M.A. in Applied Quantitative Research. Hm...

To be honest, I didn't realize that I applied to their Masters program. Go figure.

Just saw your signature, which says it's not a funded program.  Bummer ... did you get any feedback on the rejections?  Maybe there are ways to make up for the research experience without having to dig in deep for an expensive MA program...

1 hour ago, BoomSoon said:

I just received the same rejection, with the same offer to join their MA program. It looks like they extended this offer to quite a few of their applicants.

Does anyone have any information on this?

This offer will be sent to all applicants who exceed mandatory minimums set at the level of the graduate school and were not accepted into the PhD pool.

1 hour ago, mrbmrbmrb said:

My POI was Professor Burdick-Will, educational inequality in urban settings is my main research interest.

You'll have a better chance of being accepted if you're willing to do quant / shown aptitude for doing quant research, mostly because this is what the program is looking for right now...

Edited by xinguin

46 minutes ago, xinguin said:

You'll have a better chance of being accepted if you're willing to do quant / shown aptitude for doing quant research, mostly because this is what the program is looking for right now...

You seem to have an insiders view at Hopkins. Any word on when the decisions will be released?  

And, surely, there must be a fair amount of qual "rebels" amongst the faculty? Admin pressure is generally met with some resistance? Perhaps I am merely hopeful that this is the case...

6 hours ago, Paul_SOC said:

Anyone ever hear from U of Toronto or UBC (British Columbia)? , I apply for both these schools and both are masters. 

I'm waiting on UBC with you. If you looked at the old results they tend to inform much later than US schools, Not sure why, but that might mean a longer wait for their response. 

35 minutes ago, proctorvt said:

You seem to have an insiders view at Hopkins. Any word on when the decisions will be released?  

And, surely, there must be a fair amount of qual "rebels" amongst the faculty? Admin pressure is generally met with some resistance? Perhaps I am merely hopeful that this is the case...

Looking for methodological diversity is more of a PSI thing. There's already a ton of grad students doing qualitative work - but it's ultimately about who applies and who accepts, right? PGSC looks more for regional interest in applicants, like what part of the world you're interested in studying. The divide between the two divisions is pretty substantial - PGSC is heavily theoretical and usually attracts people who intellectually work in Marxist tradition. PSI tends to be more about (domestic) public policy and policy-related issues like family, educational inequality, etc. The department is pretty small, so you have to be sure you know what you want to study. But there's also a lot of opportunities to collaborate with other departments like public health, education, etc.  

And yep - rumor has it they're looking for 6 people this year, as opposed to the normal 4. But the new funding system (which is pretty hefty - same as other private elites) still applies to the new cohort. Hope this helps! 

Edited by xinguin

19 minutes ago, xinguin said:

Looking for methodological diversity is more of a PSI thing. There's already a ton of grad students doing qualitative work - but it's ultimately about who applies and who accepts, right? PGSC looks more for regional interest in applicants, like what part of the world you're interested in studying. The divide between the two divisions is pretty substantial - PGSC is heavily theoretical and usually attracts people who intellectually work in Marxist tradition. PSI tends to be more about (domestic) public policy and policy-related issues like family, educational inequality, etc. The department is pretty small, so you have to be sure you know what you want to study. But there's also a lot of opportunities to collaborate with other departments like public health, education, etc.  

And yep - rumor has it they're looking for 6 people this year, as opposed to the normal 4. But the new funding system (which is pretty hefty - same as other private elites) still applies to the new cohort. Hope this helps! 

Thanks, that's very helpful. I am definitively in the PGSC camp, and I made that quite clear in my application. It seems most here are PSI, so they'll find your contribution very helpful.

Sorry to be obnoxious, but any word on when the decision will come down? Historically, it should be no later than Friday for the first round of admits and rejections. I know everyone has their own story as to why they're on a time crunch for notification (nerves, other offers, visits, etc.) and I'm no different; though my reason is quite unique and urgent... Hence, my extra dose of obnoxiousness :)

15 minutes ago, proctorvt said:

Thanks, that's very helpful. I am definitively in the PGSC camp, and I made that quite clear in my application. It seems most here are PSI, so they'll find your contribution very helpful.

Sorry to be obnoxious, but any word on when the decision will come down? Historically, it should be no later than Friday for the first round of admits and rejections. I know everyone has their own story as to why they're on a time crunch for notification (nerves, other offers, visits, etc.) and I'm no different; though my reason is quite unique and urgent... Hence, my extra dose of obnoxiousness :)

No idea! Last I heard, they had narrowed it down to a handful of applicants. They also received a historic number of applicants this year... 

Long time lurker but just received a belated acceptance to Columbia. has anyone heard of this happening before? I had not been notified i was on any type of wait list and had been expecting a rejection after seeing acceptances go out earlier this month. Just got an email to check the website and there it was

24 minutes ago, SOCapp20 said:

Long time lurker but just received a belated acceptance to Columbia. has anyone heard of this happening before? I had not been notified i was on any type of wait list and had been expecting a rejection after seeing acceptances go out earlier this month. Just got an email to check the website and there it was

That's wonderful, congrats! Someone else mentioned a while back that they got an acceptance email from Cornell a few days after a bunch of them were posted on the Results page so it must happen occasionally. That's really terrific. Congrats, again! :) 

Edited by pi515

1 hour ago, SOCapp20 said:

i just got one, as well! Keeping my fingers crossed that it wasn't a mistake...