Fall 2016 Acceptances, Interviews, and Rejections Thread

gingin6789

Hey guys. Long -time lurker to this thread; first time posting. Anyone have any recent news from Hopkins or UNC? I know at this point it's probably wait-list or rejection from both, but if anyone knows anything more I'd love to hear! 

Also, do most schools send out decisions no matter what by March 15th, or did I make that up?

Thanks in advance everyone, and many congrats to all who have been accepted! :) 

40 minutes ago, lapeliroja said:

Hey guys. Long -time lurker to this thread; first time posting. Anyone have any recent news from Hopkins or UNC? I know at this point it's probably wait-list or rejection from both, but if anyone knows anything more I'd love to hear! 

Also, do most schools send out decisions no matter what by March 15th, or did I make that up?

Thanks in advance everyone, and many congrats to all who have been accepted! :) 

April 15th is like the national commitment day I think

If anyone applied to Harvard's sociology and social policy or government and social policy, I just got an email back from them saying all accepted and waitlisted applicants were notified yesterday :(

1 hour ago, kelris said:

April 15th is like the national commitment day I think

Does anyone know if it is common to hear back from schools even after that date? Basically, I'm wondering what the "normal" latest date is for a notification from a school. I potentially have a really good Plan B option, but I'll need to let them know ASAP. I don't really want to bug the departments, but I'm thinking I might have to if I don't hear anything after today.

57 minutes ago, lapeliroja said:

Does anyone know if it is common to hear back from schools even after that date? Basically, I'm wondering what the "normal" latest date is for a notification from a school. I potentially have a really good Plan B option, but I'll need to let them know ASAP. I don't really want to bug the departments, but I'm thinking I might have to if I don't hear anything after today.

I'd suggest taking a look at the results section to see when each school you've applied to sends out notifications based on previous years. That way you know if a school is usually really slow, or is doing something weird this year. 

Has anyone accepted to Kent State heard about funding at all yet?

Applied: Kent State University and University of Cincinnati

Accepted: Kent State

Waitlisted: Cincinnati

Edited by katiegeee25

6 minutes ago, nowayjose said:

Just got my rejection from Yale to officially go 0 for 6. I guess I'm stuck in biglaw making $180k a year but not enjoying the work. Sigh.

I just got my last rejection as well (also Yale), 0 for 9. I'll be continuing to teach science to low-income high school students. :) 

Edited by HopefulSocPhD

26 minutes ago, HopefulSocPhD said:

I just got my last rejection as well (also Yale), 0 for 9. I'll be continuing to teach science to low-income high school students. :) 

Last rejection from Yale and Rice simultaneously. I'll be continuing to hold up the "Homeless Veteran" sign at intersections across America.

Did anyone hear anything from Vanderbilt this week by chance?  Or have any new info on when their acceptance/final rejection decisions might be going out?  This late into the admission cycle, I'm starting to get a tad bit nervous/paranoid my admission decision somehow never reached me...The only thing really keeping me going is that so few others have heard anything definite either:mellow:

1 hour ago, reify_this said:

Did anyone hear anything from Vanderbilt this week by chance?  Or have any new info on when their acceptance/final rejection decisions might be going out?  This late into the admission cycle, I'm starting to get a tad bit nervous/paranoid my admission decision somehow never reached me...The only thing really keeping me going is that so few others have heard anything definite either:mellow:

Their admission offers went out on Thursday. I'm currently on their waitlist. I don't know if this is the news you wanted to hear...:-(

7 minutes ago, aresh1 said:

Their admission offers went out on Thursday. I'm currently on their waitlist. I don't know if this is the news you wanted to hear...:-(

Well then.  Guess it is just a matter of waiting on the rejection then haha

I do appreciate the information though!

On 3/3/2016 at 9:13 PM, ConsciousKid said:

Also, forgot to note that the program I got into was a joint Ph.D. in Sociology and African-American Studies. Therefore, that may have played a role in getting accepted later then most Sociology applicants.

I also am awaiting word from a combined Ph.D. program (Philosophy and Psychology) from Yale. On the one hand, if I were rejected by the Philosophy department, my application would never have made it over to the Psychology department. On the other hand, all those acceptance calls went out a long time ago. :/

Edited by ptmohr

On 3/5/2016 at 0:34 PM, aresh1 said:

I hope you are accepted off the waitlist soon!

Thank you for the update! 

On March 4, 2016 at 1:09 PM, katiegeee25 said:

Has anyone accepted to Kent State heard about funding at all yet?

Applied: Kent State University and University of Cincinnati

Accepted: Kent State

Waitlisted: Cincinnati

I received funding from Kent State, but after visiting I will likely be  declining my offer.  Just not the best fit for me.  During the visit the chair mentioned that there were three others who received funding and didn't come to the visit.  They had other offers and he is expecting them to turn down their offers at Kent.  The funding package is 15,500 for 9 months and renewable for 5 years.  Grad students said it is livable for the area.  Hope that helps!

Edited by SNW373
grammar

4 hours ago, SNW373 said:

I received funding from Kent State, but after visiting I will likely be  declining my offer.  Just not the best fit for me.  During the visit the chair mentioned that there were three others who received funding and didn't come to the visit.  They had other offers and he is expecting them to turn down their offers at Kent.  The funding package is 15,500 for 9 months and renewable for 5 years.  Grad students said it is livable for the area.  Hope that helps!

Thanks for the info :).  Good luck on the rest of your applications and decisions!

On 3/5/2016 at 11:43 AM, reify_this said:

Well then.  Guess it is just a matter of waiting on the rejection then haha

I do appreciate the information though!

I received a rejection from Vandy on Feb 26th. No rejection then you might be in hold pool.

On March 4, 2016 at 8:53 AM, lapeliroja said:

One of my professors heard from Purdue on April 17th, and I have heard it is fairly common to hear back from schools that late.  I was also told, from a professor at one of the programs I was accepted, that if you accept an offer from your second choice and get accepted after April 15th to your first choice it's okay to go back to the second choice school and ask to revoke your contract (as long as you do it professionally) so you can accept the offer from your first choice school.