Admissions Blog: Hello and Predictions

jacbarcan

UNC probably won't come out till this Friday or next week. 

UW is all over the place in the past few years. I'm pretty unsure when it'll come out. 

UCSD is pretty consistent though. I would expect it to come out on the between the 10th and 16th. (...Leaning more toward happening this week.)

4 hours ago, machineghost said:

I am also anxiously awaiting their decision. I'd be excited about that one and, importantly, so would my wife, who would not be particularly excited about some other schools to which I applied. Fortunately for her, I didn't get in to any of those schools (OR AT LEAST THAT IS WHAT I AM ASSUMIMG GIVEN THAT I HAVE NOT BEEN TOLD!) 

I feel that. My significant other is also not super excited about the location of certain schools. Here's hoping that everyone ends up happy! 

1 hour ago, philosophe said:

I feel that. My significant other is also not super excited about the location of certain schools. Here's hoping that everyone ends up happy! 

I have a list as long as my arm of lessons learned in this area. Sadly, the only generally applicable one is: this is a minefield, tread carefully, good luck. You know, in case the application process in isolation wasn't enough cause for optimism.

10 hours ago, jacbarcan said:

UNC probably won't come out till this Friday or next week. 

UW is all over the place in the past few years. I'm pretty unsure when it'll come out. 

UCSD is pretty consistent though. I would expect it to come out on the between the 10th and 16th. (...Leaning more toward happening this week.)

Hi Jac, 

Thanks for filling our vacuous expectations with well-studied predictions! 

Any estimate of your confidence on Brown releasing acceptances this week?

For anyone who applied to the University of Chicago's Committee on Social Thought program, I emailed the administrative assistant to inquire about when they might start notifying applicants, and was told probably by the end of the week. Fingers crossed.

Not knowing is worse than rejections.. 

oops, wrote that in the wrong thread!
Sorry

However, I have heard from an admin person at Villanova that "the admissions process is well on the way". Whatever that means. 

Edited by majorshake
mistake

I'm going to write an official blog post soon and post this also in the acceptance and rejection threads, but I've asked a fellow applicant to collaborate with me on the blog. This person's role would be to call universities at appropriate times and check on the status of decisions. We hope that by doing this we can alleviate some stress on the applicant side as well as on the side of professors, grad students, or administrators in philosophy departments, the latter by reducing the amount of applicants calling and emailing. 

We never before have done this and it is possible it won't work. If it seems to cause too much trouble, my collaborator may withdraw from the role. 

Please let us know how you feel about this and whether or not you think we should continue with this option.

Best,

Jac

19 minutes ago, jacbarcan said:

I'm going to write an official blog post soon and post this also in the acceptance and rejection threads, but I've asked a fellow applicant to collaborate with me on the blog. This person's role would be to call universities at appropriate times and check on the status of decisions. We hope that by doing this we can alleviate some stress on the applicant side as well as on the side of professors, grad students, or administrators in philosophy departments, the latter by reducing the amount of applicants calling and emailing. 

We never before have done this and it is possible it won't work. If it seems to cause too much trouble, my collaborator may withdraw from the role. 

Please let us know how you feel about this and whether or not you think we should continue with this option.

Best,

Jac

That's a spectacular idea. 

@jacbarcan are you sure that indiana has released accepts? I'm curious since there's only the one accept and no one's claimed it. (Not to mention that my inbox is nothing but crickets ://// really thought I had a shot there). 

Edited by philosophe

I'm not completely sure, but people don't typically post fake results that are (a) not a top 10 school, (b) not an ivy league school, and (c) somewhat close to the prediction.

Maybe a job for my new blogger buddy could be to make sure after a few days of crickets.