Admissions Blog: Hello and Predictions

jacbarcan

Well, basically the only two predictions I was confident about were Berkeley and MIT.....so, if the past has anything to say about it, MIT will come out tomorrow. 

At least I didn't come home from a long day and need to post up 50 thousand blog posts about this. I can't believe how far I've been from gradcafe today. I almost felt like a real person. 

Just now, jacbarcan said:

Well, basically the only two predictions I was confident about were Berkeley and MIT.....so, if the past has anything to say about it, MIT will come out tomorrow. 

At least I didn't come home from a long day and need to post up 50 thousand blog posts about this. I can't believe how far I've been from gradcafe today. I almost felt like a real person. 

enjoy that feeling, you'll remember it wistfully at the end of the week, I bet

4 minutes ago, jacbarcan said:

I'm going to say that everyone comes out tomorrow and everyone will get into amazing places and it'll be a happy day and we will all know where we are going and it'll be done. 

I can get behind this. So far only bad news and one piece of "maybe" news. :( 

11 hours ago, swilke said:

I was told that St. Louis University could possibly be sending out admit calls tomorrow. Crossing my fingers... hard.

That would seem unlikely since their deadline was February 15th. And, that is for fellowship applicants. A program having an 8 day turn around seems a little fast to me.

2 hours ago, TheJabberwock said:

That would seem unlikely since their deadline was February 15th. And, that is for fellowship applicants. A program having an 8 day turn around seems a little fast to me.

I don't know, that's just what @jacbarcan predicted

It's probably a bad prediction. We don't take into account important changes like when there is a different DGS or deadline (because of how hard it is to gather all that information not because we think they shouldn't account for a prediction change). 

On 1/27/2016 at 4:07 AM, hot.glass said:

UMass put a message up on their website yesterday (Jan 26 2016) stating "We expect to be making initial offers by March 4".

Ahhh thanks for this! Have you heard of any official rejections yet? 

3 hours ago, jacbarcan said:

It's probably a bad prediction. We don't take into account important changes like when there is a different DGS or deadline (because of how hard it is to gather all that information not because we think they shouldn't account for a prediction change). 

Sad days, I'm on the edge of my seat with anticipation about SLU

9 minutes ago, matchamatcha said:

Is UCDavis done sending out stuff (for internationals too)?  The only school I've heard back from is UCSD (reject - :(), so I'm getting anxious.

I would say Davis is not done sending acceptances. They seem to send in waves, like UCLA. From what I understand, they accept, wait for responses, then accept more, and so on and so forth until they're satisfied. That does leave us quite in the dark however. Keep your chin up. We're all rooting for you here. 

Just now, jacbarcan said:

I would say Davis is not done sending acceptances. They seem to send in waves, like UCLA. From what I understand, they accept, wait for responses, then accept more, and so on and so forth until they're satisfied. That does leave us quite in the dark however. Keep your chin up. We're all rooting for you here. 

Thanks! I keep frantically refreshing my email and checking my mailbox twice a day since Davis seems like a great fit for me.  I can't wait for the wait to be over (tee hee wordplay).

18 hours ago, jacbarcan said:

I have a friend at the MIT department, she said they're having their adcomm meeting tomorrow at 3 :) Tomorrow it is! :D 

Edited by philosophe

53 minutes ago, philosophe said:

I have a friend at the MIT department, she said they're having their adcomm meeting tomorrow at 3 :) Tomorrow it is! :D 

Before I ask: please don't mistake this for hostility. I'm simply exercising the wary naivete I've been made to adopt as a matter of emotional protection this extremely stressful season.

Now, my question is: how sure can you be that the phrase "admissions committee is meeting at 3" means what you say it means? That is, don't admissions committees meet pretty regularly? Perhaps their meeting tomorrow is just another congregation of emotional sadists intent on drawing out our suffering ever longer? Did your friend make their meaning clear?

If you are indeed sure, thank you for the information! I'll be sure to feel exceptionally anxious tomorrow :P

I'll let philosophe answer the main question above.

As to just generally when I think MIT will release. I am very confident it will be this week and believe it'll be on Wednesday or Friday, just from past trends. A lot of schools will only release on M, W, or F for some reason and MIT seems to be one of them. 

As with the Pitt tip I got (which was that Pitt would be meeting that Friday evening---a day before they released), the MIT tip seems very similar and is probably meant to mean that final decisions would be made that day. If they're like Pitt and the tip is of the same sort, we should hear from MIT Wednesday late afternoon to early evening or Thursday. 

8 minutes ago, gughok said:

Before I ask: please don't mistake this for hostility. I'm simply exercising the wary naivete I've been made to adopt as a matter of emotional protection this extremely stressful season.

Now, my question is: how sure can you be that the phrase "admissions committee is meeting at 3" means what you say it means? That is, don't admissions committees meet pretty regularly? Perhaps their meeting tomorrow is just another congregation of emotional sadists intent on drawing out our suffering ever longer? Did your friend make their meaning clear?

If you are indeed sure, thank you for the information! I'll be sure to feel exceptionally anxious tomorrow :P

Sure, so at MIT the philosophy and linguistics department are the same. My friend is doing her linguistics phd but she overheard them saying that the phil admissions committee would be meeting tomorrow at 3, and sent me a message. I asked her if she thought they'd be finalizing their decisions then, and she said if the process was anything like linguistics she expected them to be. That, combined with the prediction date, leads me to believe that at the earliest, tomorrow evening they might be releasing. It's possible they may need to meet again, but honestly I doubt it considering past release dates. 

7 minutes ago, philosophe said:

Sure, so at MIT the philosophy and linguistics department are the same. My friend is doing her linguistics phd but she overheard them saying that the phil admissions committee would be meeting tomorrow at 3, and sent me a message. I asked her if she thought they'd be finalizing their decisions then, and she said if the process was anything like linguistics she expected them to be. That, combined with the prediction date, leads me to believe that at the earliest, tomorrow evening they might be releasing. It's possible they may need to meet again, but honestly I doubt it considering past release dates. 

Well I guess that's a lot better than anything else we've got. Tomorrow it is, then.

"Princeton will release this week. Probably tomorrow (which is today)" posted on the survey results

what

pls specify source

Edited by gughok

If whoever wrote the Princeton post wants to stay anonymous but wants to pass on the information, you can either message me here or email me (in which case I'll know who you are, but of course wont tell anyone) OR you could fill out a funding survey from my blog with the information about Princeton and your email and identity will be completely concealed from even me. 

12 hours ago, blondeambition said:

Ahhh thanks for this! Have you heard of any official rejections yet? 

I haven't - and I haven't seen any acceptances / waitlists either. My application portal is still saying 'applied'. I will be sure to update as soon as I hear anything!