2016 Rejection/Plan B Thread

samori

6 minutes ago, Siegfried42 said:

Just got the official rejection from Harvard. Also presumably rejected from Cornell, Notre Dame & Yale. Inevitable but no less disappointing... Had especially held out a little hope for ND since a POI told me my sample was "excellent" and that I should apply with confidence.

Really sorry to hear this. :( You should have demanded that the POI give you that assessment in writing... signed... and notarized...

With only rejection so far, I have already begun to put in motion my most immediate plan B: applying for adjunct positions :o.

...maybe I'll have some better luck landing a job that pays hardly anything (*sigh* but even these positions are difficult to secure).

Just now, MickeyRay said:

Alright. So I'm closing this season with 0 acceptances, 0 waitlists, 11 rejections. 

I need back up plans. Help?

:[ admissions can be rough. There's always next cycle though! We share interests, perhaps you can take from my list of back-up plans toward the beginning of this thread. :P I rarely meet other Spinozist, where did you apply?

12 minutes ago, Schwarzwald said:

:[ admissions can be rough. There's always next cycle though! We share interests, perhaps you can take from my list of back-up plans toward the beginning of this thread. :P I rarely meet other Spinozist, where did you apply?

This was my next cycle. I should probably go find something else to do now...

I've been rejected for Ph.D.'s from Villanova, Fordham, Loyola, and Penn State. I haven't heard anything from Stony Brook, Boston College, or Duquesne.

I'm not sure if I should hope for an M.A. Shouldn't they already have wait listed these people? I've also applied for New School for Social Research's M.A.

I thought my writing sample(s) would get me in. 

I'm guessing I was rejected because of my rough semester in 2012, when I failed study abroad and disappeared for two years. I'd placed this behind me, but now I guess it will follow me around for the rest of my life.

My plan B is to do St. John's College's M.A.L.A. It's the sister program to my undergrad program and I'd love to just read the great books while doing independent research. 

Edited by iunoionnis

2 minutes ago, iunoionnis said:

I've been rejected for Ph.D.'s from Villanova, Fordham, Loyola, and Penn State. I haven't heard anything from Stony Brook, Boston College, or Duquesne.

I'm not sure if I should hope for an M.A. Shouldn't they already have wait listed these people? I've also applied for New School for Social Research's M.A.

I thought my writing sample(s) would get me in. 

I'm guessing I was rejected because of my rough semester in 2012, when I failed study abroad and disappeared for two years. I'd placed this behind me, but now I guess it will follow me around for the rest of my life.

My plan B is to do St. John's College's M.A.L.A. It's the sister program to my undergrad program, and I'd love to just read the great books while doing independent research. 

I too had a couple rough semesters where I disappeared for 8 months due to mental health problems in 2011.  I had hoped that coming back and finishing my undergrad relatively strong along with finishing my MA with really good grades and a solid thesis would help with the shortcomings of my application.  I have no idea how to frame my application next year if I do indeed end up with a slate of rejections over the next month.

Your plan B seems pretty cool though!  Books and independent research is basically the dream.

1 hour ago, matchamatcha said:

I too had a couple rough semesters where I disappeared for 8 months due to mental health problems in 2011.  I had hoped that coming back and finishing my undergrad relatively strong along with finishing my MA with really good grades and a solid thesis would help with the shortcomings of my application.  I have no idea how to frame my application next year if I do indeed end up with a slate of rejections over the next month.

Your plan B seems pretty cool though!  Books and independent research is basically the dream.

I had a rough time at undergrad for my first two years and ended up dropping out. I went on to get my MA from a Leiter department and am now in a PhD program in a Leiter department (of course now I'm striking out big time trying to get into a different department). I'm only saying this to point out that it is possible to overcome bad semesters and still end up in graduate school.

19 minutes ago, currentphilgrad said:

I had a rough time at undergrad for my first two years and ended up dropping out. I went on to get my MA from a Leiter department and am now in a PhD program in a Leiter department (of course now I'm striking out big time trying to get into a different department). I'm only saying this to point out that it is possible to overcome bad semesters and still end up in graduate school.

It took me about 6 years to finish my undergrad, and I have about 60 more credits than I needed to graduate. I had a rough first two years and was making enemies left and right and dropped all of my classes two semesters in a row, so I have a bunch of withdrawals. I transferred after that to another school in the same CUNY system. I also have an F in the only Plato class I ever took, and I applied to programs specifically saying I want to focus on Plato. (I maintain that that was one of the worst professors I've ever had. He shouldn't be teaching Plato.)

I think I'm doing alright! I put all of my effort into my writing sample. It means a lot to me. I think that if you really want it, it'll happen. 

12 minutes ago, MickeyRay said:

Maybe theyre going alphabetically?  

My surname starts with S.. so maybe?

In any case, I've given up on my bid of getting into a northern American school, I'm going to apply for an Australian program this October, and not deal with any of this stress again..

7 minutes ago, majorshake said:

My surname starts with S.. so maybe?

In any case, I've given up on my bid of getting into a northern American school, I'm going to apply for an Australian program this October, and not deal with any of this stress again..

I just got my rejection, they might be really going  alphabetically. So embrace yourselves : ).