Who have not heard back yet?

porcorosso

Emailed. I'm wait listed. Told that accepted applicants have until April 1 to confirm attendance, and that if I didn't hear by the 15th to check back. Which likely means that I'm so far down the wait list that all I'll be hearing is a rejection when they send them out. 

• 2 weeks later...

I emailed four of the schools I applied to on March 24th these were my responses.

1. No reply after two weeks.
  2. Replied that I "should hear something very soon" but that they will check with the head of department for a better answer.
  3. They have not made many final decisions, they hope to know more in the next 2-4 weeks.
  4. Many of the faculty are waiting for grants to be approved and won't know until around June-July. I should let them know if I have been accepted elsewhere so that the grad coordinator can see if they can quicken their decision.

So far no positive or negative decisions. Looks like it's going to be a long waiting game for me.

Guys, it has finally come to a close.  I've FINALLY heard back from my final school, the Max Planck Institute of Evolutionary Anthropology (December 1 application deadline), and it was a no.  It was honestly expected, this late in the game with no word about an interview when they were supposed to of have happened or be happening within the month, and being close to 4.5 months after the app deadline with no communication whatsoever.  I wasn't holding my breath but it would have been nice to have the full 5/5 for the Fall 2016 admits.  But oh well, the waiting is finally over.  I will just say though, the Germans love to get to the point and don't sugar coat it:

"[We've decided] not to offer you a position," and "we feel your interests and qualifications do not match the projects [...] as much as those of other applicants."

I feel like if this was a US/Canadian school it'd be a little less blunt, but I like it.  It made me smile.  Here's hoping for better luck to the rest of you who are still Waiting It Out!

On March 30, 2016 at 3:46 PM, Punk28 said:

Emailed. I'm wait listed. Told that accepted applicants have until April 1 to confirm attendance, and that if I didn't hear by the 15th to check back. Which likely means that I'm so far down the wait list that all I'll be hearing is a rejection when they send them out. 

I heard April 15th too but he told me my waitlist isn't ranked! He said it depends on what those who were admitted decide to do. And whoever rejects their offer has to have a similar research focus to me for me to get in. April 15 almost here but I'm scared af. Mainly because I don't think I'm that enthused about the one acceptance I do have and debating to send out more apps for that reason. I sent one this past week so if I get in there, maybe it's my best bet!

3 hours ago, rack_attack124 said:

I heard April 15th too but he told me my waitlist isn't ranked! He said it depends on what those who were admitted decide to do. And whoever rejects their offer has to have a similar research focus to me for me to get in. April 15 almost here but I'm scared af. Mainly because I don't think I'm that enthused about the one acceptance I do have and debating to send out more apps for that reason. I sent one this past week so if I get in there, maybe it's my best bet!

That's terrifying!  What is it about your acceptance you aren't jazzed about?

I'm tired of checking my emails and application status. I have applied for PhD admission (fall 16) in Chemical Engineering with an average profile with cgpa 3.46, GRE 310(Q 161), TOFEL 108, 2 conference publications and more than 2yrs undergrad research experience. Now I'm being waitlisted in UConn, Iowa State, U of Tennessee, Clemson U, U of Houston, Texas Tech U. I got rejection from U of South Carolina though.

This is April, I'm totally hopeless here, with spending lots of money and energy. Is there any possibility of getting full funded PhD offer from waitinglist? All they are saying is that, if I have not got rejection, then my applications are still reviewed.

6 hours ago, ChrisTOEFert said:

That's terrifying!  What is it about your acceptance you aren't jazzed about?

mainly that I've applied to the program before and know that it's intended for people who graduated more recently than me. Also, I'm looking at graduate study for better jobs and I've looked at their career placement and I've already interviewed at some of those places. If I'm in master's program, I don't want to be applying to the same jobs that undergrad kids can get, you know? Cost of attendance is also a lot. I have a small scholarship but hardly makes a dent in the amount i need to borrow. I'm waiting for Columbia (more expensive) and UNC (cheaper because I'm a resident). Not sure what to do. I am trying to transition to something more quantitative. I'm going to take programming and linear algebra over the summer and try to get As. I'll even take the damn GRE again if I have to. three has been a lucky number for me after all. 

I'm still waiting on one.  I applied to a few schools and all but one haven't panned out for one reason or another (POI Retiring, no funding, etc.).  The last one I've gotten super positive emails from a POI (enthusiastic emails, extremely positive interview, almost mentioned acceptance letter before stating "He couldn't tell me whether the response would be a yes or no".)

A couple weeks ago (Apr 1) I was told I'd hear back "shortly" and am waiting.  A friend who applied and got in to this same school told me this last phase can take a few weeks, but I'm understandably petrified about not being admitted.  It's a smaller program, with a smaller applicant base, but some good profs and good contacts, so my nervousness is gaining.

I swear I check that web portal 50 times a day some days.

Edited by Happington

16 hours ago, rack_attack124 said:

mainly that I've applied to the program before and know that it's intended for people who graduated more recently than me. Also, I'm looking at graduate study for better jobs and I've looked at their career placement and I've already interviewed at some of those places. If I'm in master's program, I don't want to be applying to the same jobs that undergrad kids can get, you know? Cost of attendance is also a lot. I have a small scholarship but hardly makes a dent in the amount i need to borrow. I'm waiting for Columbia (more expensive) and UNC (cheaper because I'm a resident). Not sure what to do. I am trying to transition to something more quantitative. I'm going to take programming and linear algebra over the summer and try to get As. I'll even take the damn GRE again if I have to. three has been a lucky number for me after all. 

Well best of luck.  Hopefully you get in somewhere phenomenal, and inexpensive.  

21 hours ago, EcoSK said:

I'm tired of checking my emails and application status. I have applied for PhD admission (fall 16) in Chemical Engineering with an average profile with cgpa 3.46, GRE 310(Q 161), TOFEL 108, 2 conference publications and more than 2yrs undergrad research experience. Now I'm being waitlisted in UConn, Iowa State, U of Tennessee, Clemson U, U of Houston, Texas Tech U. I got rejection from U of South Carolina though.

This is April, I'm totally hopeless here, with spending lots of money and energy. Is there any possibility of getting full funded PhD offer from waitinglist? All they are saying is that, if I have not got rejection, then my applications are still reviewed.

There is a possibility! I was on the waitlist at every school I applied to for a Physics Ph.D. I got an e-mail just two days ago letting me know that I was accepted with full funding and a stipend. Don't give up hope, bud!

One thing I might recommend. If at any of those schools there is a professor, postdoc, whatever, that knows you and would like to work with you, shoot them an e-mail letting them know of your status and that you're still very interested in going to school there and working with them. You never know, they might put in a good word for you with the admissions office; one at Montana State did for me.

5 hours ago, ChrisTOEFert said:

Well best of luck.  Hopefully you get in somewhere phenomenal, and inexpensive.  

Yeah thanks. The campus is nice but it was in the middle of nowhere. Seems there were dilapidated buildings and hobos running around. 

4 hours ago, rack_attack124 said:

Yeah thanks. The campus is nice but it was in the middle of nowhere. Seems there were dilapidated buildings and hobos running around. 

Hobos are always good, they help heat the buildings with their garbage can fires.

45 minutes ago, ChrisTOEFert said:

Hobos are always good, they help heat the buildings with their garbage can fires.

Stop I'm dying lol ???? nah we were driving at there was this one hobo like in the middle of traffic. I wanted the light to change lol. I'm happy to contribute my time or money to charities but not to hobos. 

14 hours ago, Formosus said:

There is a possibility! I was on the waitlist at every school I applied to for a Physics Ph.D. I got an e-mail just two days ago letting me know that I was accepted with full funding and a stipend. Don't give up hope, bud!

One thing I might recommend. If at any of those schools there is a professor, postdoc, whatever, that knows you and would like to work with you, shoot them an e-mail letting them know of your status and that you're still very interested in going to school there and working with them. You never know, they might put in a good word for you with the admissions office; one at Montana State did for me.

I contacted with few Professors. Among them some asked if I am offered admission there, then no response after that, again, some said if my admission is accepted, then he will look into that. I don't know what to do :(
Thanks for your words, though ^_^

Edited by EcoSK

• 2 weeks later...

I am yet to hear from 6 of the 9 universities I applied to (MS Computer Science). I applied to most in January-February and this is considered late but even people who applied in December haven't heard anything yet. Why do universities do this? Why not just send an early reject if we don't meet their "standards"?

Arrrgh. On top of this, I have a deadline to pay the deposit for a particular university that is way too expensive and I've got no funding even though they have a record of handing out anywhere from 20-40% in tuition waiver. 

Waiting. The info when I sent in my application said, "allow two weeks for review and a decision". Everywhere else on their site says 4-6 weeks. It's been 4. I made it in by the deadline.

I called yesterday and left a message to check on the status of my application. Hoping to hear something today.

Come on guys. This is an online program from a school that is no way picky about applications and I have excellent grades and stellar references. Ahhhhhh.....

Phone call was returned.

She passed on my application to the department. The department hasn't said anything. She said I should hear soon, then she looked at the date she passed it on and said, "wow, you should have heard something by now. I'll send them an email reminding them we are waiting on a decision."

So now I'm back to refreshing my email.

On 4/9/2016 at 9:50 PM, EcoSK said:

DId you get interviews form those universities?????

On 4/10/2016 at 7:39 PM, Formosus said:

Did you get interview from those universities??

4 hours ago, Roja said:

DId you get interviews form those universities?????

No. Application declined at UConn, Houston. Waitlisted in four universities till now. :(

As today, April 22, 2016, I still didn't have any news from UCSD. I applied to PhD in Mechanical Engineering, got my BS from UCSD with GPA=4.00. It was my safety school, I don't plan to go to UCSD any more, but at least I should be informed about my rejection.

I accepted UC Berkeley - MS/PhD in Mechanical Engineering.  

Edited by harcerz

Waiting on NYU's MA program in Human Skeletal Biology. Submitted March 1st. I've called multiple times and just been told, "oh you should be getting a decision soon". 

Also, waiting on UCL

I feel like a pain in the ass, but I couldn't take it any more and emailed the admissions office again asking if there was any word. Email back said there wasn't and they'd follow up with the committee to tomorrow (Wednesday). Still no word on Thursday. I know I'm being impatient but seriously people! The other applicants heard back within a few days of the applications being reviewed. Why is mine taking so damn long? There are three other people doing this program through my work. Every single one heard back.

It's giving me a damn complex.