Teacher's College 2016

EdLearnin'

2 hours ago, emb1994 said:

I applied for the HESA MA and haven't heard anything yet, but i just received an email "Apply for TC Housing for Summer or Fall 2016".... very confused

Yeah, I got that email too but they send it to everyone. I went to an open house in the fall and they explained that everyone who wants housing should apply before hearing back. 

14 minutes ago, ersmith073 said:

Yeah, I got that email too but they send it to everyone. I went to an open house in the fall and they explained that everyone who wants housing should apply before hearing back. 

Oh okay! Thank you, I guess I'm just freaking out/anxious and missed that.

13 hours ago, PersonPeople said:

Congrats to everyone who got in! I received admission to the Philosophy and Education MA program on Feb 3 (applied a little early) but didn't get my scholarship package until today. ~19K/year. I'm so happy! This was my top choice program and I wasn't sure how much of a scholarship to expect. I will probably be attending. Anyone else get into this program?

congratulations! wow, that means it was about a month before you got your scholarship info. happy you got into your top choice! :)

11 hours ago, marature said:

congratulations! wow, that means it was about a month before you got your scholarship info. happy you got into your top choice! :)

Thanks! And yes, they actually *still* don't have all of the financial aid info up yet. I'm expecting to get federal work study as well which I am hoping to put towards a research assistant position. I'm estimating that ~2/3 of my program costs should be covered which makes me REALLY happy. The cost of living in NYC is more than enough to worry about. I had heard that TC was not generous with funding MA students so this was better than expected. 

6 hours ago, PersonPeople said:

Thanks! And yes, they actually *still* don't have all of the financial aid info up yet. I'm expecting to get federal work study as well which I am hoping to put towards a research assistant position. I'm estimating that ~2/3 of my program costs should be covered which makes me REALLY happy. The cost of living in NYC is more than enough to worry about. I had heard that TC was not generous with funding MA students so this was better than expected. 

wow, that's awesome. glad it's working out!

Still haven't heard back... I know in the past they've always notified by March 11 or 12, so I'm expecting by Friday....  my application is clearly being tinkered with because it now says "Transcripts missing", but no news!

58 minutes ago, Heather1011 said:

Still haven't heard back... I know in the past they've always notified by March 11 or 12, so I'm expecting by Friday....  my application is clearly being tinkered with because it now says "Transcripts missing", but no news!

Ah it changed from "awaiting"? I still haven't heard anything either!

2 hours ago, ersmith073 said:

Ahh I still don't have anything :(. This waiting is killing me! Congrats to all those who got their acceptance letter today!

No news for me either, except my application also says transcript is missing. I believe we will hear back within this week!

Hi guys!

I'm so happy--just got my acceptance letter to the MA in Education and Politics program!

Anyway, as I was going through the Admitted Students Site, I was very disappointed. It showed me a financial aid award letter that had literally no award--not even loans. I am very confused. Is this my financial aid (nothing) or does the site just show that but my financial aid hasn't been awarded yet? I emailed financial aid and got an automatic response that I should expect to hear back in a few days. Since I need to start making plans for next year ASAP (international move back to the US from Korea and all), I wanted to know if I should just eliminate Columbia TC from my options or wait until I hear back.

FYI, I submitted my FAFSA several weeks ago and an update to reflect my taxes three days ago.

Best,

KaySsaem

P.S. I never got the email about applying for housing. Going through the Admitted Students Site was the first I heard about it. 

Edited by KaySsaem
Inclusion of FAFSA info and to correct grammar mistake

As to the people still waiting, my guess is that if the portal says they are waiting for official transcripts that means you are in. If they rejected you, why would they need your transcripts? When I checked my status last night it had that notification and I got my acceptance this morning.

P.S. Times in this message are based on Korea time, not EST.

5 minutes ago, KaySsaem said:

Hi guys!

I'm so happy--just got my acceptance letter to the MA in Education and Politics program!

Anyway, as I was going through the Admitted Students Site, I was very disappointed. It showed me a financial aid award letter that had literally no award--not even loans. I am very confused. Is this my financial aid (nothing) or does the site just show that but my financial aid hasn't been awarded yet. I emailed financial aid and got an automatic response that I should expect to hear back in a few days. Since I need to start making plans for next year ASAP (international move back to the US from Korea and all), I wanted to know if I should just eliminate Columbia TC from my options or wait until I hear back.

Best,

KaySsaem

P.S. I never got the email about applying for housing. Going through the Admitted Students Site was the first I heard about it. 

Hey there, i've contacted the office as well and they got back to me saying that FinAid comes in later this month. If you look at the FinAid page on the admitted students site there is more info on that. For specifics, I'm sure the FinAid office will specify by which date you will be hearing back.

5 minutes ago, KaySsaem said:

Hi guys!

Anyway, as I was going through the Admitted Students Site, I was very disappointed. It showed me a financial aid award letter that had literally no award--not even loans. I am very confused. Is this my financial aid (nothing) or does the site just show that but my financial aid hasn't been awarded yet. I emailed financial aid and got an automatic response that I should expect to hear back in a few days. Since I need to start making plans for next year ASAP (international move back to the US from Korea and all), I wanted to know if I should just eliminate Columbia TC from my options or wait until I hear back.

Best,

KaySsaem

I just looked at that page as well.  Mine *also* has no loans, but it does have "grants and scholarships from your school" as $9,072 yearly award, and the rest is empty, including loans.  I also am unsure if this means they are not even offering federal loans.  I can't imagine that to be the case, but...

Either way, the program costs $82K (including cost of living) for the first year, and an additional $37K the second, making it by far the most expensive option of all the schools I applied to.  Even if I get the $33K FLAS I applied for, it hardly makes a dent!

16 minutes ago, teppeice said:

No news for me either, except my application also says transcript is missing. I believe we will hear back within this week!

3 minutes ago, KaySsaem said:

As to the people still waiting, my guess is that if the portal says they are waiting for official transcripts that means you are in. If they rejected you, why would they need your transcripts? When I checked my status last night it had that notification and I got my acceptance this morning.

P.S. Times in this message are based on Korea time, not EST.

Oh man, I hope so! I don't think I could handle another weekend without a response! 

When I called the office re: the transcripts change on my application portal she just said that it means that the committee is looking at my application.  Didn't know how to read that, but I hope it does mean what we're guessing!

2 minutes ago, seaglass0025 said:

Hey there, i've contacted the office as well and they got back to me saying that FinAid comes in later this month. If you look at the FinAid page on the admitted students site there is more info on that. For specifics, I'm sure the FinAid office will specify by which date you will be hearing back.

Based on this, it sounds to me that they haven't released loan awards yet.  I don't know if this means that grants/scholarships are already finalized though... as mine is there and I got an email saying that my financial aid award was now available.

I'll be turning it down though, so I don't know if they reallocate funds...

Edited by Heather1011

1 minute ago, ersmith073 said:

Oh man, I hope so! I don't think I could handle another weekend without a response! 

When I called the office re: the transcripts change on my application portal she just said that it means that the committee is looking at my application.  Didn't know how to read that, but I hope it does mean what we're guessing!

I mean, mine was like that, and I got in!  It sounds like everyone who had that happen, got in! :)

Just now, Heather1011 said:

Based on this, it sounds to me that they haven't released loan awards yet.  I don't know if this means that grants/scholarships are already finalized though...

Nope, the scholarships are not finalized yet either. From what I have been told, they are still working on all of that and will forward that info shortly. Received an e-mail saying scholarship decisions are being made the next few weeks.

1 minute ago, seaglass0025 said:

Nope, the scholarships are not finalized yet either. From what I have been told, they are still working on all of that and will forward that info shortly. Received an e-mail saying scholarship decisions are being made the next few weeks.

Good news for the rest!

Sadly $9K + loans won't be an option for me, so with that I say goodbye to TC... where my original plans for grad school started.  I've visited the school 3 or 4 times.  It's all good, I prefer my other options anyway, but makes me a bit nostalgic for all the thought I put into TC's program.

3 minutes ago, seaglass0025 said:

Seaglass, thank you so much for the info. While TC has never been my first choice, I was freaking out--the Education and Politics program is super cool imho.

1 minute ago, Heather1011 said:

Good news for the rest!

Sadly $9K + loans won't be an option for me, so with that I say goodbye to TC... where my original plans for grad school started.  I've visited the school 3 or 4 times.  It's all good, I prefer my other options anyway, but makes me a bit nostalgic for all the thought I put into TC's program.

The $9K is probably listed because it is merit aid awarded in the hopes to get you to attend regardless of all of the other offers they knew you would get. It is probably completely separate from the financial aid office's work. Congrats on an amazing sweep this application season Heather.

2 minutes ago, KaySsaem said:

Seaglass, thank you so much for the info. While TC has never been my first choice, I was freaking out--the Education and Politics program is super cool imho.

The $9K is probably listed because it is merit aid awarded in the hopes to get you to attend regardless of all of the other offers they knew you would get. It is probably completely separate from the financial aid office's work. Congrats on an amazing sweep this application season Heather.

Thanks SO much! :D  I feel like I wouldn't have gotten into most of these schools if I hadn't been learning so much from this site!  So I guess there is still a chance of other grants? Not sure.  

And congrats to you too!  Equally amazing choices :D

Edited by Heather1011