Teacher's College 2016

EdLearnin'

2 minutes ago, KaySsaem said:

Seaglass, thank you so much for the info. While TC has never been my first choice, I was freaking out--the Education and Politics program is super cool imho.

The $9K is probably listed because it is merit aid awarded in the hopes to get you to attend regardless of all of the other offers they knew you would get. It is probably completely separate from the financial aid office's work. Congrats on an amazing sweep this application season Heather.

You're very welcome KaySsaem! Good luck to you, sounds like a stressful situation...I'm also abroad at the moment in Japan so the prospect of figuring out logistics (moving myself back home in NY then setting out God knows where) is really something. What's your first choice?

38 minutes ago, jlt646 said:

Nothing yet! Still have the "awaiting transcripts" notification, which is killing me. I hope it means what it has meant for you all! Eek!

Me too! It looks like we are both waiting to hear from Ph.D programs, so maybe those come later? Hoping these late responses don't mean a rejection :(

43 minutes ago, seaglass0025 said:

You're very welcome KaySsaem! Good luck to you, sounds like a stressful situation...I'm also abroad at the moment in Japan so the prospect of figuring out logistics (moving myself back home in NY then setting out God knows where) is really something. What's your first choice?

Right now I am leaning toward Penn. The program has a lot of the components I am looking for--like the Master's paper--and the administration seems very responsive. I also love Vandy's program, but would rather do a one year program since I intend to do a JD as well and would prefer to minimize my amount of student loan debt. I really like TC's program because of the emphasize it has on the political aspect of education reform implementation (Political Science was my primary ungrad major), but I'm not a fan of New York and it's cost of living. That said, I can't really complain because all three are wonderful options and I'm still waiting to hear back from some law schools I applied to as well. (I'd rather do the master's first, but decided to apply just in case Ed School applications didn't go well). 

By the way, where do you live in Japan? My second major in college was Asian studies and Japan was my area of concentration. It is probably my favorite country to visit--in fact, I spent my winter break traveling in Kyoto, Osaka, Hiroshima, Tokyo and Okinawa. 

4 hours ago, Heather1011 said:

Just got my financial aid award.  $9K scholarship.  Nail in the coffin, pretty much.

Received the same award. Although I can commute from home which may make a difference! I'm hoping for what everyone's saying in that maybe it means more need-based awards later.

Anyone know if they award need-based scholarships? Or just merit-based? I know mine is merit-based.

P.S. All this info has been super helpful! Thanks all!

Thanks for all the info, it's good to be able to compare and contrast :) I got my acceptance early, but the email about official transcripts much later than others here, and nothing at all about housing.

Also, I totally missed the line about the Admitted Students Web site in the letter, so thanks for talking about it! I went to Web site and looked at my Financial Aid Letter and saw my scholarship award - also $9k. If not for all of you, I would be just waiting around wondering! so THANKS!!!!

Like Heather said, the rest of the expenses are too much for me. But it's nice to be offered something nonetheless. I did apply for one other scholarship, but that's a way long shot, I'm not in the profile for it really. Should I assume that I didn't get it since it isn't in the letter? Or are those other ones done separately? Also, anyone know about the possibility of Master's students getting assistantships as another way to cover costs?

Edited by marature

15 hours ago, laurjorg said:

Received the same award. Although I can commute from home which may make a difference! I'm hoping for what everyone's saying in that maybe it means more need-based awards later.

Anyone know if they award need-based scholarships? Or just merit-based? I know mine is merit-based.

P.S. All this info has been super helpful! Thanks all!

As far as I know, there are no need-based scholarships. There are only the ones that you apply for as part of your application, though some seem to have to do more with your profile/background/ethnicity etc. The need-based aid is all federal stuff via the FAFSA etc (so none for intl students).  

Edited by marature

20 hours ago, seaglass0025 said:

Nope, the scholarships are not finalized yet either. From what I have been told, they are still working on all of that and will forward that info shortly. Received an e-mail saying scholarship decisions are being made the next few weeks.

Okay, I guess I'll wait until I do get an email from them and then take THAT as the final decision? Is the reason they haven't sent the email yet because it's not finalized? Or just glitches in the system?? Otherwise, they should expect that students will be looking at the site, since it's indicated in the award letter and most people are not like me and can actually read. (In my defence, I've been quite busy this week, and I should actually be reading work stuff now and not posting on this forum). Well, in any case, unless a miracle happens, I will probably have to decline, so I guess I should just chill and not over-analyze...

1 hour ago, marature said:

Okay, I guess I'll wait until I do get an email from them and then take THAT as the final decision? Is the reason they haven't sent the email yet because it's not finalized? Or just glitches in the system?? Otherwise, they should expect that students will be looking at the site, since it's indicated in the award letter and most people are not like me and can actually read. (In my defence, I've been quite busy this week, and I should actually be reading work stuff now and not posting on this forum). Well, in any case, unless a miracle happens, I will probably have to decline, so I guess I should just chill and not over-analyze...

Well, if you look on the admitted students site and look at the financial aid page it says that we're supposed to hear about the final fin aid results after we are notified. If you really feel anxious you should e-mail the fin aid office. I e-mailed them and they replied to me about which scholarship I was eligible for and am being considered for as well as the date to which I should hear back.

13 hours ago, seaglass0025 said:

Well, if you look on the admitted students site and look at the financial aid page it says that we're supposed to hear about the final fin aid results after we are notified. If you really feel anxious you should e-mail the fin aid office. I e-mailed them and they replied to me about which scholarship I was eligible for and am being considered for as well as the date to which I should hear back.

Thanks! I might do that, so I know I can safely decline.... I just got the email telling me to look at my Financial Aid Letter on the web site... still says 9k lol. I guess there is a lag from the time the info goes in to when the email is sent.

Hey! Has anyone else here been accepted into a doctoral program and know how TC uses tuition remission? How many credits it covers per semester? And how much we should expect to cover on our own? Thanks!!

I have the same question about doctoral tuition. Also, as I obsess, err...I mean breezily and only sporadically check my application page and these forums, I see a little bit of pattern by department, but not much. Should I take it as a good sign that I only see one early February acceptance for a doctoral student in my department? Can I make the red "X"s and awaiting appear by sheer force of will? Gah!!!!  :blink:

29 minutes ago, ersmith073 said:

Hey! Has anyone else here been accepted into a doctoral program and know how TC uses tuition remission? How many credits it covers per semester? And how much we should expect to cover on our own? Thanks!!

I met with a current professor about potentially doing an EdD, and I am close with my former supervisor who got her EdD at TC.  She said that TC has been increasing their support for doctoral students over the past few years in particular.  That's all I know! 

Just got accepted to the master's in Education Policy! Applied to the Phd, so while I'm partially stoked...this is a bit of a bummer- mostly for financial reasons. Now I have three Ivy master's acceptances and one R1 PhD acceptance, and though I'm feeling a little conflicted, I feel like the PhD is the way to go. Those Ivy names really suck you in, don't they? Oof.

22 hours ago, jlt646 said:

Just got accepted to the master's in Education Policy! Applied to the Phd, so while I'm partially stoked...this is a bit of a bummer- mostly for financial reasons. Now I have three Ivy master's acceptances and one R1 PhD acceptance, and though I'm feeling a little conflicted, I feel like the PhD is the way to go. Those Ivy names really suck you in, don't they? Oof.

So...in my haste to get to the end of what I took as a rejection letter, I didn't realize that this one was for the Education Leadership PhD, which is not the program I applied for. Turns out, I was being considered for both.

Just got accepted to the PhD in Education Policy and Social Analysis! I feel completely bonkers, and I can't breathe. 

2 hours ago, jlt646 said:

So...in my haste to get to the end of what I took as a rejection letter, I didn't realize that this one was for the Education Leadership PhD, which is not the program I applied for. Turns out, I was being considered for both.

Just got accepted to the PhD in Education Policy and Social Analysis! I feel completely bonkers, and I can't breathe. 

Congrats!!!

3 hours ago, jlt646 said:

I also received my acceptance into a doc program and am so thrilled! Congratulations!! Now if only we had more info about aid!!

Edited by ersmith073

46 minutes ago, ersmith073 said:

I also received my acceptance into a doc program and am so thrilled! Congratulations!! Now if only we had more info about aid!!

Congratulations! I'm with you- I know that TC is notoriously stingy, but I'm holding out hope that it's somehow, magically enough. 

Hi Everyone, 

Did anybody apply to the social-organizational masters program? 

I haven't noticed any change (not even the status beside my transcript) on my application, and am starting the suspect that I've been rejected.

Any news/activity regarding the program will be appreciated! And congrats to everyone who were accepted :)

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has heard from the Neuroscience and Education program yet from TC? I applied in mid-feb for their summer admission, I'm wondering if I applied really late..

I didn't get an email about anything, but I just checked the admitted students' page again, and on the Financial Aid Award Letter section there appears to be an update.  Mine used to just say the $9,072 grant, but now it also has $7,000 work study and loans.  Don't know if this is the final package, but I'm guessing most likely.  Just an FYI everyone!!!

On 3/18/2016 at 0:48 AM, fr0sting said:

I also applied for the Neuroscience and Education program at TC and haven't received any news. Applied for the rolling admissions in late January...Anyone else applying for Fall? Any ideas of the decision dates for rolling admissions?