Where do you work?

JackieW

So, my fellow grad school appliers, what are you all doing when you're not filling out your name and address dozens of time on applications? Do you have a real job, or are you stuck in a mindless, retail one like me? Do tell!

So, my fellow grad school appliers, what are you all doing when you're not filling out your name and address dozens of time on applications? Do you have a real job, or are you stuck in a mindless, retail one like me? Do tell!

Real, adult job. too real, too adult.

I work at a small film/video transfer shop downtown. My job is literally playing with movies! I go in late at night, and transfer old 8mm and 16mm film to digital.

It's basically the best job I could have right now. I set my own hours, have archival experience to put on CV, and play with film. I am going to miss it when I have to leave for grad school... :o

I'm an administrative assistant. I never have work to do so I surf this site all day. I tried writing some screenplays, building my own website etc. to keep me busy but there's only so much I can do. I'm going bonkers with bordem staring at this computer screen. I have an MA to boot. This economy sucks!!! I apply to jobs all day with no luck. I'm hoping the PhD thing work out for me so I can focus on that for a loooong time.

I wouldn't say I have a real adult job, but I do like it. I work part-time as a SAT/SSAT tutor/teacher. I get to teach kids, and watch them get better at stuff. I'm not properly still in school (just finishing up writing my Masters thesis) and only working part-time gives me tons of time to do whatever I want, and still pays the bills!

I work in administration at a college and also teach there at night. It's good prep work for going back to school, though I have so much more freedom to design my courses now than I will as a TA (example: while I officially teach English, I have, in the last two weeks, lectured on topics as diverse as the first amendment, genetics, and Marxism). I pretty much love my job, but I'm convinced I'll love grad school and, later, full-time professorship, even more. Yay. :)

I work in administration at a college and also teach there at night. It's good prep work for going back to school, though I have so much more freedom to design my courses now than I will as a TA (example: while I officially teach English, I have, in the last two weeks, lectured on topics as diverse as the first amendment, genetics, and Marxism).

Depending on the program, you may have a lot of flexibility as a TA. In my program, when we teach our own courses (which all PhD students do), we get to decide everything for the course except when and where it meets.

Depending on the program, you may have a lot of flexibility as a TA. In my program, when we teach our own courses (which all PhD students do), we get to decide everything for the course except when and where it meets.

That's certainly good to hear. I was sort of under the impression that it was more about doing recitations and grading papers for a professor. Not that I mind that either, but it's been great getting to have total control.

That's certainly good to hear. I was sort of under the impression that it was more about doing recitations and grading papers for a professor. Not that I mind that either, but it's been great getting to have total control.

Well, it depends. We have all kinds of TA positions in my department, ranging from teaching lab sections and discussion sections to grading for someone to teaching your own course. It really just depends.

• 2 weeks later...

I am a library technical assistant at a university special collections library in the Deep South! It's actually a lot of fun. I get to meet researchers, historians, professors, and authors, and I get to handle really old, cool books and manuscripts. It's good preparation for graduate school in my field (history).

I work full time (and beyond) for local government as a planner. I write, research and do all sorts of projects that wind up on a shelf and collect dust. Ok, its not that bad... My job keeps me busy enough it has seriously impinged on my ability to work on SOPs. Thank God im only got two to do.

People sometimes look at me crazy for wanting to leave the certainty of a secure job (which I do like) and pays well for the unknown of Grad School and an undetermined job in public administration in a far off city. Sometimes I wonder this too. But I also know that no degree=no advancement.

I work in research at my undergrad/masters uni. My work is in a completely different field than my PhD applications. Not sure whether it's a proper "grown-up" job or not. My tasks, yes. But I wear jeans to work, and don't necessarily have to work certain hours each day.

i am a U.S. Peace Corps volunteer in Fiji. i work with a local (very small) NGO on agribusiness, aquaculture, apiculture, environmental education at the primary level and entrepreneurial education at the secondary level. unfortunately, i see the beach less here than when i was stateside.

I was an officer in the military for a few years, up until recently, now I'm doing the full-time student thing and working part-time doing HR consultant work, which was a sweet gig I got through one of my professors. (Bonus to going into my field of study = lots of side consulting gigs out there!)

• 4 weeks later...

I have a super adult job. As someone else said, too adult! I work in publishing right now. Returning to this industry is my back up plan if I can't get a TT job down the road.

me too, editor of a brit ngo in lima...its a good backup but the real deal is investigation.