2017 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Dank

1 minute ago, Born-to-pipette said:

Just got some other random email and nearly died. I wonder how long it'll take to reverse these pavlovian reactions to my email notifications :D 

I'm shaking I'm so anxious haha I just want to know so I can either move on or be excited!

9 minutes ago, AGradStudentHasNoName said:

I'm in a similar situation as well, but in computational biology. I'm hoping that it is a plus. I don't know why it wouldn't be. More experience, diversity of experience. More mature meaning you are more deliberate and know what you want out of life and why you are getting a PhD.

At least in CS (and I think this also applies to computational biology) there is great respect in academia for the work being done in industry and vice versa (tho some in industry think industry is better/more advanced).

Maybe regular biology is a bit more rigid on this subject.

I am 31 if you consider that "Old" old lol.

I think one of the reasons we don't see as many people with this type of background is that it is very hard to get a job in industry in which you are actually doing research and not just some tech work with just a bachelor's degree. You are competing with a TON of PhD's out there for those jobs.

Yes, I met some Bioinformatics/Computational Bio interviewees last year at Stanford's Bioscience weekend, and they were top notch. Many have started their own companies or technologies while being out of school. In the Computation world I believe that background is more favorable than neutral, while in pure biosciences it's either neutral or a minor advantage depending on how you frame it.

I agree that I got super lucky with my industry job, where I'm still heavily in R&D with projects that have a strong "academic" flavor. My position required a Master's + 2 years experience, so it was unique because few PhD's were competing for it, but few Master's had that much experience. 

Best of luck to your interviews! If it helps, I observed that Stanford Bioinformatics program LOVES industry-seasoned applicants. :) I am sure other top notch schools will feel the same, like you described.

Edited by hihello742

19 minutes ago, seventwo said:

congratulations! 

now I'm just going to sit here hopelessly refreshing my email

17 minutes ago, DGD4L said:

Congrats @MCF10A

*mashing refresh button

9 minutes ago, Born-to-pipette said:

Congratulations!!! Currently terrified -- but a girl can dream! PLEEEEEAAAASEEEE pick me too!

4 minutes ago, thezonehunk said:

Holding out hope that the emails are being set one by one...

My last name starts with C so I might be lucky enough to get the first batch of emails. BBS is a big program so it definitely takes long time to email everyone. Hang in there and good luck!

1 minute ago, MCF10A said:

My last name starts with C so I might be lucky enough to get the first batch of emails. BBS is a big program so it definitely takes long time to email everyone. Hang in there and good luck!

Lets hope! Congratulations again! Is Harvard your first choice?

2 minutes ago, MCF10A said:

I appreciate it, so I'll be distracting myself with finals studying. Congrats to you though! 

34 minutes ago, MCF10A said:

OMG just got an invite from Harvard BBS! BEST DAY EVER!

15 minutes ago, jeanetics17 said:

Just received a Harvard BBS interview! This is my top choice program and I think I'm going to faint. 

14 minutes ago, CanadianNomad said:

Just received Harvard BBS interview!!!! 

Congratulations! I'm looking forward to meeting you all. I will be helping with the interview weekends and hosting interviewees each weekend, so I can tell you all that it's going to be a great time! 

7 minutes ago, blc073 said:

Congratulations! I'm looking forward to meeting you all. I will be helping with the interview weekends and hosting interviewees each weekend, so I can tell you all that it's going to be a great time! 

Wait, you go to Harvard? 

9 minutes ago, BasicBinImmunology said:

Received a Harvard BBS interview a little before 10 am! My last name starts with an A so it is possible they are going alphabetical. 

Thanks for sharing! Lets hope so. Mine starts with an R so I might have some time

1 minute ago, DGD4L said:

Thanks for sharing! Lets hope so. Mine starts with an R so I might have some time

11 minutes ago, BasicBinImmunology said:

Received a Harvard BBS interview a little before 10 am! My last name starts with an A so it is possible they are going alphabetical. 

Slowly but surely I will steal all of your identities from this thread

On ‎12‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 11:31 AM, ire1 said:

Invited for UPenn CAMB - Cancer Bio WOOOOO

Congrats to everyone for their interviews and hope to see you guys there! :D

I submitted my app and it said "ready for review." My question is will it say Under review when they start looking at my app?

3 minutes ago, cancergirl said:

I submitted my app and it said "ready for review." My question is will it say Under review when they start looking at my app?

No, that is not something they say. They had their meeting on the 13th, so all apps, in theory, were reviewed by that point. Invites might still be sent out today, I'm not sure. I'd be weird if I called again because the lady and I know each other, so she knows I'm not even an applicant xD 

1 hour ago, SysEvo said:

Congrats! Which department? I'm waiting for Systems biology, not part of BBS though...

I think BBS and System bio are two different programs, so it's very liekly that they send out interviews at different times. Good luck!

3 minutes ago, Bioenchilada said:

No, that is not something they say. They had their meeting on the 13th, so all apps, in theory, were reviewed by that point. Invites might still be sent out today, I'm not sure. I'd be weird if I called again because the lady and I know each other, so she knows I'm not even an applicant xD 

lol, thanks! I'll be patient then.