2017 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Dank

If Harvard doesn't send BBS interviews out today, I've decided that I'm going to attempt to freeze myself until next week because I will not physically or mentally make it :P:D

Edited by DGD4L

1 minute ago, DGD4L said:

If Harvard doesn't send BBS interviews out today, I've decided that I'm going to attempt to freeze myself until next week because I will not physically or mentally make it :P:D

I'm confident they will be out today before 5pm EST. 

Just now, blc073 said:

I'm confident they will be out today before 5pm EST. 

I'm just kidding haha just very excited! It's been a good week for me so far I hope it keeps going!

6 minutes ago, CozyEnzymes said:

I applied to MIT Biology and my test score doesn't show up either. When I called them a while ago they said all my application materials had been received but maybe they weren't including the GRE. I also had to upload the GRE score report pdf so maybe they're going by that and not as worried about matching the official scores? If you find out anything please let us know.

4 minutes ago, SysEvo said:

The web said you should not contact them for test score issue; instead, they will contact you. So I'm not sure what to do now...:P

Mine just showed up today...17 days after I submitted the application....

On MIT biology website they say "GRE and TOEFL/IELTS scores are considered unofficial, but are sufficient for review purposes. Official documents will be required before a positive admissions decision can be made", so it shouldn't be a big deal if the official score doesn't end up showing up I guess.

7 minutes ago, CozyEnzymes said:

Email. It said it was from Dr. Meta Kuehn, the grad program director, but the "from" line said Amy Norfleet (his assistant I think.)

Thanks! Crossing my fingers now hoping to hear back :unsure:

1 hour ago, geneticginger said:

Just got an in-person interview at the Emory GMB program!

Congrats! Do you know if they're releasing interviews in waves/did you have to do a phone/skype interview first?

Did anyone realize that they said a different school name on one of their personal statements?-asking for a friend. :D:lol:

But in all seriousness. If I wrote "I'm excited about the opportunities at school A" but I wrote it on school "X's" statement is there a chance I could still get an interview:unsure:

12 minutes ago, KR Marksmen said:

Did anyone realize that they said a different school name on one of their personal statements?-asking for a friend. :D:lol:

But in all seriousness. If I wrote "I'm excited about the opportunities at school A" but I wrote it on school "X's" statement is there a chance I could still get an interview:unsure:

I was actually looking up threads about this yesterday. I had a minor typo in one of my SOPs and was flipping out. Seems like the general consensus is that no one cares about typos and it actually doesn't seem like putting the wrong school name will doom you if you otherwise have a stellar application. Other people were saying that they put the wrong school name and got interviews/acceptances. I think you still have a chance. Breathe!! It will be ok! ;) 

Hey All,

A general question about "non-traditional" applicants.

How do big California UC's and top-tiered schools view students who have taken time off to do research in an industrial/company setting? I come from that background, and explained why I want to go back to a Ph.D. clearly in my SoP's. However, I have strong research experience in academia of 3 years and Rec Letters from academic Post-doc's. However, I'm still really concerned about elite schools "looking down" at students who are not from a "pure and straight" path, like straight out of NIH or who stayed in academia all their life.

Would love perspectives from similar-background students.

Thank you guys!

FYI: I'm in mid-20s, so not "Old" old. :)

1 minute ago, godspeed said:

Hey,

I am in a similar situation as you. I am applying this cycle and aiming for top-tiered schools. I worked as a research tech for 1 year after graduation and I have been working for the last 2 years at a pharmaceutical company. I have received an interview invite at an elite school so I feel you should be fine as long as you have the research experiences and explain your reasoning for pursuing a PhD. Good luck!

Wow congrats on your recent interview invite! That's definitely encouraging. I'm not pining after Harvard or Yale - that would be like Chris Pine asking me out lol.

But it's encouraging to see someone from a biotech/pharma background that wasn't immediately dismissed by top programs.

8 minutes ago, hihello742 said:

Hey All,

How do big California UC's and top-tiered schools view students who have taken time off to do research in an industrial/company setting? I come from that background, and explained why I want to go back to a Ph.D. clearly in my SoP's. However, I have strong research experience in academia of 3 years and Rec Letters from academic Post-doc's. However, I'm still really concerned about elite schools "looking down" at students who are not from a "pure and straight" path, like straight out of NIH or who stayed in academia all their life.

Thank you guys!

I think theres a couple people from the 2016 thread that had very similar situations to yours. I can't remember their usernames off the top of my head, but I remember one individual saying he had numerous years industry experience and if he didn't get in he would just stay at his cushy job in biotech. I think he ended up being very successful though, so I would go look at the 2016 thread! I personally think the only slight concern might be that the LORs were from post-docs instead of PIs. Did the PIs co-sign? Your stats look amazing though so I'm sure you'll do excellently this cycle!

9 minutes ago, pepmochaa said:

I think theres a couple people from the 2016 thread that had very similar situations to yours. I can't remember their usernames off the top of my head, but I remember one individual saying he had numerous years industry experience and if he didn't get in he would just stay at his cushy job in biotech. I think he ended up being very successful though, so I would go look at the 2016 thread! I personally think the only slight concern might be that the LORs were from post-docs instead of PIs. Did the PIs co-sign? Your stats look amazing though so I'm sure you'll do excellently this cycle!

Thank you for the advice and encouragement pepmochaa.

LOR #1: from a Staff Scientist/post-doc who mentored me during my Master's Thesis.

LOR #2: Director of my Master's program -  mentored me on small projects (not research-heavy).

LOR #3: Professor, research mentor for 2 semester-long projects

LOR #4: Most recent research supervisor from Biotech industry. No "professor" title cuz we don't have that in industry, but he's the most senior Science position in our department. Lol. If it helps, he is now the Director of R&D of another company.

Edited by hihello742

23 minutes ago, hihello742 said:

Hey All,

Thank you guys!

Hey! Fellow "old person" here ;). I've been in the biotech industry to four years, and I'm not worried about it. My co-worker applied last cycle and got into all top-tier schools. He said that POIs were really intrigued by his work and impressed with the technology that we know how to use. The one caveat is that you have to really have to convince them that you want to return to academia, which it sounds like you did in your SOP. I personally wrote about how I want to eventually do translational research, utilizing some of the skills I've learned while in the industry. I think you'll be fine. Remember, having full-time research experience puts you light-years ahead of everyone else, because you've shown you can function full-time in a lab over a long period of time. Some people on this forum may scoff at that, but I don't really think there is harm in industry work, providing it is lab/science based. The research experience far outweighs any potential negative perception.

Yay for non-traditional applications - rooting for you!! :) 

Edit: just saw your stats. You are gonna rock it! 

Edited by LoveMysterious
added helpful information

21 minutes ago, MCF10A said:

OMG just got an invite from Harvard BBS! BEST DAY EVER!

2 minutes ago, jeanetics17 said:

Just received a Harvard BBS interview! This is my top choice program and I think I'm going to faint. 

1 minute ago, CanadianNomad said:

Just received Harvard BBS interview!!!! 

Congratulations!!! Currently terrified -- but a girl can dream! PLEEEEEAAAASEEEE pick me too!

18 minutes ago, hihello742 said:

Hey All,

Thank you guys!

I'm in a similar situation as well, but in computational biology. I'm hoping that it is a plus. I don't know why it wouldn't be. More experience, diversity of experience. More mature meaning you are more deliberate and know what you want out of life and why you are getting a PhD.

At least in CS (and I think this also applies to computational biology) there is great respect in academia for the work being done in industry and vice versa (tho some in industry think industry is better/more advanced).

Maybe regular biology is a bit more rigid on this subject.

I am 31 if you consider that "Old" old lol.

I think one of the reasons we don't see as many people with this type of background is that it is very hard to get a job in industry in which you are actually doing research and not just some tech work with just a bachelor's degree. You are competing with a TON of PhD's out there for those jobs.