2017 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Dank

So just to be clear, Harvard's programs send out their invites individually, and they don't communicate with each other (so your acceptance in one program won't affect a decision in a different program).

And please don't call them if you haven't heard anything yet - they are SWAMPED with calls and emails right now and working really hard.

I think historically Harvard Immunology, Virology, and Neuroscience (and apparently SBHT?) interview on the same weekend. I'm not sure if that will be the case this year because at least one of those programs is interviewing MLK weekend (which is early-ish).

3 minutes ago, jumbo1177 said:

Can anyone comment on how likely you are to get into a school if you got an interview?

Depends on the program. Some Like UPENN CAMB have very high acceptance rates post interview. Others like Michigan PIBS is significantly lower. 

Congrats to everyone who's getting invites :) !!! Such an exciting time

For those who are commenting about 'just receiving' invites from schools, are you guys living in the eastern time zone or do schools actually send invites at like 11:30 p.m. lol 

10 minutes ago, nguyel1995 said:

Congrats to everyone who's getting invites :) !!! Such an exciting time

For those who are commenting about 'just receiving' invites from schools, are you guys living in the eastern time zone or do schools actually send invites at like 11:30 p.m. lol 

I am living in CT and the school, also in the eastern time zone, sent the email at 10:30 pm. Was definitely surprised but I'm definitely not complaining.

6 minutes ago, spiffscience said:

I am living in CT and the school, also in the eastern time zone, sent the email at 10:30 pm. Was definitely surprised but I'm definitely not complaining.

Thanks  for the info! It helps to know if my ability to hold out hope should be restricted to business hours 

3 hours ago, ilovelab said:

Depends on the program. Some Like UPENN CAMB have very high acceptance rates post interview. Others like Michigan PIBS is significantly lower. 

What's the best way to find out how the program operates in terms of interview acceptance? Will they be transparent about it during the interview?

13 minutes ago, spiffscience said:

What's the best way to find out how the program operates in terms of interview acceptance? Will they be transparent about it during the interview?

It depends on the program. I remember when I got accepted to Michigan PIBS they wanted a class size of like 60-70 but they interviewed over 200 of us (I think it was like 230.... there were A LOT of us at the interview). Some schools like PENN are transparent as to their post-interview acceptance rates. The PENN CAMB interviews seem more like a sanity check than a tough interview based on their numbers. For each program it fluctuates year to year based on how many total students they have/how many graduate etc. 

4 minutes ago, ilovelab said:

It depends on the program. I remember when I got accepted to Michigan PIBS they wanted a class size of like 60-70 but they interviewed over 200 of us (I think it was like 230.... there were A LOT of us at the interview). Some schools like PENN are transparent as to their post-interview acceptance rates. The PENN CAMB interviews seem more like a sanity check than a tough interview based on their numbers. For each program it fluctuates year to year based on how many total students they have/how many graduate etc. 

I don't know a lot about this, but I could imagine that even if they are going for a class of 60-70, they might accept 200 if they expect their admission rate is 32.5% right? Not all people accepted attend.

2 hours ago, AGradStudentHasNoName said:

I don't know a lot about this, but I could imagine that even if they are going for a class of 60-70, they might accept 200 if they expect their admission rate is 32.5% right? Not all people accepted attend.

There is no way they are accepting 200 students. It was probably close to 140/150 and they assumed half would accept. 

1 hour ago, sshresth12 said:

The Rutgers deadline says 12/1 for MS in Statistics. Does this mean 1 December 2016 or 12 January 2017?

1 December 2016.... There is no way deadlines for 2017 are up. 

27 minutes ago, CanadianNomad said:

Just received an interview for Columbia's Integrated Program in Cellular, Molecular, and Biomedical Studies!!!

Which specialization did you apply to?