2017 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Dank

25 minutes ago, jeanetics17 said:

I think they misquoted you. I think they were speaking to the other person. 

I think that person just changed his/her username. 

Edited by blc073

Hi I began to stalk this thread this afternoon with panic..

cuz I saw many of the programs I applied have sent out invitations, including Yale BBS, NYU Sackler, UC San Diego, Duke CMB and Columbia..

I know Harvard BBS will send out the invitations in one single day bt it's quite easy for me to move on cuz I like to live in California or NYC more..

International student. Currently in U.S. working as research assistant. Applied for Stanford Biosciences, Harvard BBS(farewell!), Yale, NYU sackler, Weill Cornell, UC San Diego Biology, UCSC, Columbia Biology, Northwestern DGP, BU, and Duke CMB.

Don't hv safe schools cuz I believe in all or nothing.

Wondering whether international students' invitation sent the same time with the domestic.

I'm in terribly despair....No invitations yet. 

14 minutes ago, Klay_girl said:

Hi I began to stalk this thread this afternoon with panic..

cuz I saw many of the programs I applied have sent out invitations, including Yale BBS, NYU Sackler, UC San Diego, Duke CMB and Columbia..

I know Harvard BBS will send out the invitations in one single day bt it's quite easy for me to move on cuz I like to live in California or NYC more..

International student. Currently in U.S. working as research assistant. Applied for Stanford Biosciences, Harvard BBS(farewell!), Yale, NYU sackler, Weill Cornell, UC San Diego Biology, UCSC, Columbia Biology, Northwestern DGP, BU, and Duke CMB.

Don't hv safe schools cuz I believe in all or nothing.

Wondering whether international students' invitation sent the same time with the domestic.

I'm in terribly despair....No invitations yet. 

I'm international too and I got on-site interviews as well. I think as long as you are in the US, you will be invited as the domestic. Good luck!

Hi everyone,

Just a reminder to keep our community a place where people can come to get information and support during their grad school applications and beyond. Disagreement is certainly okay but some recent actions here have veered away from constructive discussion. 

Thanks,

TakeruK

Hey, I was born and raised in Baltimore. It seems that many here have been deluded by misrepresentations of Baltimore (ie. The Wire, Serial, news). I will just say this, if you write off Hopkins because of Baltimore it is absolutely your loss. Baltimore is vibrant, young, and diverse. It has one of the fastest growing populations of people ages 25-30. It is actually an art hub so almost every day there are various events/festivals to explore. Between the UMD schools, Hopkins, and Maryland School for the Arts there is a lively student community. Baltimore has a beautiful setting on the water and because it was one of the first U.S cities it has beautiful, historical architecture. If you are a sports fan then Baltimore is a great place to be with the Orioles at Camden Yards and the Ravens. Baltimore is a condensed city made up of eclectic neighborhoods so not only it is very accessible, you will never run out of things to do/new places to explore.

Baltimore has a truly diverse population and an incredible sentiment of social justice and activism. Lastly, Baltimore is just 45 minutes from DC, an hour from beaches on the Atlantic coast, an hour to Philadelphia, less than an hour to the beginning of the Appalachian Mountains (ie. tons of stunning natural scenery and parks), and 3-4 hours from New York. I could go on and on about what an amazing place Baltimore is. 

I know people are concerned with crime, but in all of my years living in a working class neighborhood my roommates and I were never victims of crime. Honestly, the people most afflicted by crime in Baltimore are the poor and those marginalized/oppressed by our society...so please check your privilege before you start to complain about crime. 

I am not attending Hopkins as I decided it was time to try out a new state, but the research environment is really phenomenal. And keep in mind that you have access to the NIH (especially the NCI, infectious diseases, and aging institutes), Kennedy Krieger, and UMD. I am not saying Hopkins is better than any other program, but it's a damn shame to see so many people write it off without any precedent/actual experience to go off. 

On Friday I received an email invite to interview for University of Washington's Molecular Medicine and Mechanisms of Disease (M3D) program!

Still waiting to hear back from all of the other schools that I applied to: Stanford, Harvard, MIT, UCSF, Berkeley, UCLA, UCSD, and OHSU.

Has the ship really sailed for Harvard BBS? No more interview invites?

2 hours ago, VoidInColor said:

Has anyone heard more about Emory? I saw one person got an IMP invite, but that's about it. Still waiting anxiously...

Also, did anyone else apply to UC Davis immunology? They had a Dec. 15 deadline, so I'm wondering when we'll start to hear back.

I know a couple of the professors on the UC Davis adcom. They haven't even looked at apps yet, the review will happen early next week. You might hear after christmas. 

9 hours ago, Bacterrific said:

Hey, I was born and raised in Baltimore. It seems that many here have been deluded by misrepresentations of Baltimore (ie. The Wire, Serial, news). I will just say this, if you write off Hopkins because of Baltimore it is absolutely your loss. Baltimore is vibrant, young, and diverse. It has one of the fastest growing populations of people ages 25-30. It is actually an art hub so almost every day there are various events/festivals to explore. Between the UMD schools, Hopkins, and Maryland School for the Arts there is a lively student community. Baltimore has a beautiful setting on the water and because it was one of the first U.S cities it has beautiful, historical architecture. If you are a sports fan then Baltimore is a great place to be with the Orioles at Camden Yards and the Ravens. Baltimore is a condensed city made up of eclectic neighborhoods so not only it is very accessible, you will never run out of things to do/new places to explore.

Baltimore has a truly diverse population and an incredible sentiment of social justice and activism. Lastly, Baltimore is just 45 minutes from DC, an hour from beaches on the Atlantic coast, an hour to Philadelphia, less than an hour to the beginning of the Appalachian Mountains (ie. tons of stunning natural scenery and parks), and 3-4 hours from New York. I could go on and on about what an amazing place Baltimore is. 

I know people are concerned with crime, but in all of my years living in a working class neighborhood my roommates and I were never victims of crime. Honestly, the people most afflicted by crime in Baltimore are the poor and those marginalized/oppressed by our society...so please check your privilege before you start to complain about crime. 

I am not attending Hopkins as I decided it was time to try out a new state, but the research environment is really phenomenal. And keep in mind that you have access to the NIH (especially the NCI, infectious diseases, and aging institutes), Kennedy Krieger, and UMD. I am not saying Hopkins is better than any other program, but it's a damn shame to see so many people write it off without any precedent/actual experience to go off. 

Amen!

11 hours ago, blankens said:

Hey, has anyone heard from UCSD BMS? I saw one person on the results page heard yesterday but nothing else. 

I have not heard back either. I also haven't heard back from Sinai or UCSF Tetrad, though I've seen those interviews go out. Maybe I should move those to the reject pile. 

31 minutes ago, KR Marksmen said:

Anyone know/have stats on interviewed students at WashU in St Louis for DBBS and the acceptance rate post-interview? They don't seem to list those stats on their website.

Do you know if all divisions of DBBS sent out invitations at the same time? 

Guys can we all please chill. There are many stereotypes going around on this thread, both about Harvard and about Baltimore. People are apt to be offended by such generalizations, and they have also been used in positive ways as well as negative ones. Wishing you all the best with your waiting games, let's just support each other to get into the best program for each of us! :)

1 hour ago, jeanetics17 said:

I have not heard back either. I also haven't heard back from Sinai or UCSF Tetrad, though I've seen those interviews go out. Maybe I should move those to the reject pile. 

Looking at results from last year it looks like early January was when they came out so I'm not giving up yet, it's just such a long time to wait!

2 minutes ago, blankens said:

Looking at results from last year it looks like early January was when they came out so I'm not giving up yet, it's just such a long time to wait!

I can't speak for Sinai but UCSF Tetrad sent me an e-mail on Thursday and it was a form e-mail so I think they've sent it out.

15 minutes ago, Epigenetics said:

I can't speak for Sinai but UCSF Tetrad sent me an e-mail on Thursday and it was a form e-mail so I think they've sent it out.

I believe someone in this thread said UCSF BMS is next Tuesday. ***good luck everyone!***

55 minutes ago, nescacphd said:

Do you know if all divisions of DBBS sent out invitations at the same time? 

I dont have like concrete evidence they do or dont, but judging off of survey and the emails I think its by program. I got a general email from DBBS followed by a program specific email. I know someone else also got a washu biochem invite on here the same day as me.....dont know how much that helps. 

Funny story I got a call from UC Berkeley MCB right at 5pm on Friday, and it wasn't until the professor sent a follow-up e-mail that I realized it was a professor. I thought it was just a dude in the admissions office. Haha.

11 hours ago, VoidInColor said:

Has anyone heard more about Emory? I saw one person got an IMP invite, but that's about it. Still waiting anxiously...

Also, did anyone else apply to UC Davis immunology? They had a Dec. 15 deadline, so I'm wondering when we'll start to hear back.

I'm not sure which program you're applying to, but Emory's GMB program has started sending out invites. I heard from them last Thursday.