2017 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Dank

2 hours ago, Pepperoni said:

Saw you're applying for Cancer Bio & are from Chicago - did you apply to U Chicago's program, and have you heard anything from them if you have?

Nope I didn't apply but I'm doing my undergrad at UChicago. No idea what's going on. Trying to get out of the midwest here :D 

1 hour ago, Born-to-pipette said:

I did! Nothing yet. I think I looked it up and they were late December in previous years.

I applied to a different program (cancer bio), but they said interview invitations would be out by the end of December for us. Not sure how much this applies to you guys though. Just thought I'd throw it out there.

Has anyone heard from University of Washington MCB or know when their interview weekend will be?  Thoughts on whether its better to email or call them to see when the dates are if I'm trying to keep them open just in case?

4 minutes ago, lmb123 said:

Has anyone heard from University of Washington MCB or know when their interview weekend will be?  Thoughts on whether its better to email or call them to see when the dates are if I'm trying to keep them open just in case?

I haven't heard from UW MCB, but looking at stuff from the past couple years, it looks like we should know in the near future about interviews. As for dates, I can't be sure. I was going to call Thursday if we hadn't seen anything yet.

4 hours ago, sivis said:

Yep! Very close to the campus/hospital and literally a STEAL for Manhattan prices. Most PhDs are housed in one particular building, and it's not the nicest, but it has a (new!) quiet study room, gym, and doormen.

Also Sinai has made big initiatives to have their graduate students finish in a very timely manner. Quicker than many other PhDs based on how they structure the first year. 

6 minutes ago, lmb123 said:

I also haven't heard back yet. 

Just now, jeanetics17 said:

Also Sinai has made big initiatives to have their graduate students finish in a very timely manner. Quicker than many other PhDs based on how they structure the first year. 

Absolutely. I've talked with the deans and administration about this particular subject and they've also streamlined rotations to protect students and save them time. I can tell you from personal experience that Sinai is really trying to up the ante haha.

10 minutes ago, Katyya said:

Nope I didn't apply but I'm doing my undergrad at UChicago. No idea what's going on. Trying to get out of the midwest here :D 

I did my undergrad in midwest and trying to get out of midwest too lol. I still applied to Uchicago tho, but definitely don't miss the heavy snow and wind chill for a tiny little bit:rolleyes:

2 hours ago, SysEvo said:

MIT won't send out invites until early Jan according to themselves 

39 minutes ago, AGradStudentHasNoName said:

I think we should expect Harvard BIG this week. In the past they have sent between Dec 17th and 21st. Tho a few years they have sent in january... I hope not.

Thank you for the info guys.

Emmm... They are holiday murderer =(

Is it a better policy to wait a couple days before accepting an interview invite (to make sure it doesn't coincide with schools you like better that you haven't heard back from yet, but should be hearing back from soon), or to commit to the interview and than ask to cancel/reschedule later?

1 minute ago, desmond.bo said:

Thank you for the info guys.

Emmm... They are holiday murderer =(

In the brighter side, they probably can keep you fit during the holiday season since they are killing your appetite

1 minute ago, jumbo1177 said:

Is it a better policy to wait a couple days before accepting an interview invite (to make sure it doesn't coincide with schools you like better that you haven't heard back from yet, but should be hearing back from soon), or to commit to the interview and than ask to cancel/reschedule later?

I'd wait as long as you can to accept interview offers. You should hold out for your 1-2 top choices unless they won't release interview offers until mid Jan or something like that. 

9 minutes ago, MCF10A said:

I did my undergrad in midwest and trying to get out of midwest too lol. I still applied to Uchicago tho, but definitely don't miss the heavy snow and wind chill for a tiny little bit:rolleyes:

I just flew from O'Hare to Munich yesterday (currently stuck at the airport my flight home got delayed) and my friend literally dropped me off right outside Lufthansa departures so I needed like 15-20 seconds tops to make my way inside and I thought I was dying during that time. My whole body froze and I had to pull out my heat pad to warm my fingers. I believe it was below -30F with windchill. 

1 minute ago, Katyya said:

I just flew from O'Hare to Munich yesterday (currently stuck at the airport my flight home got delayed) and my friend literally dropped me off right outside Lufthansa departures so I needed like 15-20 seconds tops to make my way inside and I thought I was dying during that time. My whole body froze and I had to pull out my heat pad to warm my fingers. I believe it was below -30F with windchill. 

:lol:

I did my undergrad in Illinois during the first polar vortex. It was supposed to be -40F with wind chill and gusts over over 25mph. Everyone though the university would close, or at least professors would cancel class. All we got was an email telling us to get to bus stops early to avoid having to stay outside to long and to layer up. It's a hard life that I very rarely miss.

Not that there is anything wrong with midwest if anyone is wondering. I've had a lovely time in both Chicago and Iowa City doing summer research at the University of Iowa. Both great places with top notch research. Downtown Chicago is gorgeous as well and I really like the Northwestern medical campus. It's very sleek and modern. I have just never lived on the east coast and want to experience what that's like. I sacrificed my chances by not applying to many great schools here like Wisconsin-Madison, Minnesota, Iowa and Chicago schools. 

5 minutes ago, Katyya said:

I can totally feel ya. We once had a -65F windchill+45mph gust in MN. Received a school email said "wind chills colder than -50F can cause exposed flesh to freeze in only 5 mins" LOL

On 12/16/2016 at 6:37 PM, hihello742 said:

Hey anyone else got the USC PIBBS interview?

They only offer 1 interview weekend in Jan 18-20th, and they want me to decide by Sunday, Dec-18! Should I just say yes and book it? Does anyone else know the interview weekends for other UC schools? I'd hate to say yes, then have it conflict with another UC. :(

Thanks guys!

Same here. I called them and they said they're not planning to have more interview weekends at this moment....SERIOUSLY!?!?!?

I also got invitation from UCLA, and it's going to be 1/20 and 1/21..... I'm thinking to accept the USC's invitation and only attend Thursday event (campus tour, interview with faculty members, and lunch/dinner with grad students and professors). Friday is poster session and social with grad students. I don't know that would hurt me if I'm not showing up on Friday :/