2017 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Dank

Ok folks, I'm in a very lucky position, but I would love some help: I need to figure out whether to interview at the Albert Einstein program or at UW MCB. I know they're immensely different, but would love to hear some other people's opinions. Thanks in advance!

15 hours ago, BasicBinImmunology said:

UCSF BMS invitation by email! 

Huge congratulations! I believe my UCSF train may have passed if they don't email by ~ 3pm today. :( 

Just trying to get through work today and concentrate on other schools. 

1 hour ago, Epigenetics said:

Guys, interviews are recruitment weekends. They're going to reject very few people, let's not pretend we need to wear a suit.

I'm not sure if you're saying something specific to wearing suits (or business formal attire generally - which I would agree with, you don't need to wear a suit), I would certainly encourage wearing business casual. I can only recall one interview that I went on where people did not dress business casual (UW Pathobiology). Moreover, I can provide anecdotal evidence that a PI at Harvard remarked to me about his being less than impressed with one of his interviewees dressing on the casual end of the spectrum.

In summary: business casual, good; business formal, if you feel like it.

42 minutes ago, DGD4L said:

I saw somebody heard back late last night from University of Chicago Microbiology. Did anybody else? Still waiting on a response. I hope they're still sending out!

I received an email from them last night, around 8PM PST. The interview dates are Jan 26-28 or Feb 16-18. Idk if they're still sending out, but good luck!

49 minutes ago, anzisigo said:

Does anyone know if any of these Immunology graduate program send out their invites to interviews yet? Super anxious right now...  :(

University of Washington

New York University

Northwestern University

University of Chicago

Vanderbilt University (Tennessee) 

Tufts University 

You aren't alone. There are a bunch of other people here waiting on some of these programs. Did you apply to Northwestern DGP or IBiS?

29 minutes ago, anzisigo said:

Does anyone know if any of these Immunology graduate program send out their invites to interviews yet? Super anxious right now...  :(

University of Washington

New York University

Northwestern University

University of Chicago

Vanderbilt University (Tennessee) 

Tufts University 

Northwestern DGP

4 minutes ago, Born-to-pipette said:

Nearly had a heart attack. ANyone else apply to weill cornell immunology?

I did, but it's my dream-reach school. If no one who applied to the IMP program hears back, it's probably because the adcomm all had heart attacks after seeing how bad my undergrad transcript is. :P JK! 

2 hours ago, AGradStudentHasNoName said:

I didn't apply to BBS, but BIG. But one of the professors I contacted who had posts in statistics and molecular biology (both fields for which I am not a great candidate for, but our research interests aligned pretty well) said that he could take students from pretty much any scientific harvard program and potentially even from some MIT programs with approval. He said it was it was very open. He did say that for interviews if you want to talk to a given professor outside of the department, you would have to ask and they would have to be available/want to meet.

While I know that many here are more knowledgeable about this than I am, I would say don't make your decisions based on things mentioned in this forum. Ask the program, and ask the program if exceptions can be made with approval. Ask them about specific professors because even that could change the answer.

Programs vary greatly. BBS is very flexible in that you only have to be "affiliated" with the program, so there are professors at the hospitals for example you can't be with unless they get approval to mentor graduate students, but if a professor can have graduate students anywhere at Harvard you can work with them. It's pretty flexible otherwise. But other programs can be stricter/broader depending on what you want to do, I know Immunology and Virology are like this where you can't just do anything with anyone, it has to relate to your PhD scope. I didn't apply to BIG because I'm already the lab bioinformatician, and I don't want to be solely dry lab, but I'm not well versed on how limited it is, but the programs should give you a good idea. I know the scope of being at other schools (Harvard/MIT) varies, usually you'd have to be primarily mentored by a professor in your own school, but then some programs like HST scramble that.

tl;dr, BBS is about as flexible as it gets, beyond that go to the program and ask, they tend to be pretty clear about what's possible and not.

That's not entirely true - while they want you to be related to your discipline, you don't necessarily have to be and the relationship can generally be very tangential. In general, the rule is that you can rotate in any lab affiliated with the Harvard Integrated Life Sciences (HILS). Doing an out of program rotation is very easy and I've never seen one get turned down. BBS students rotate in non-affiliated BBS labs quite regularly. BPH students rotate in Immunology and Virology labs all the time. Virology and Immunology students regularly rotate in BBS labs that don't really do virology or immunology.

1 hour ago, myhairtiebroke said:

I received an email from them last night, around 8PM PST. The interview dates are Jan 26-28 or Feb 16-18. Idk if they're still sending out, but good luck!

Congratulations! Very jealous, I hope I hear back from them. I really liked the program. Were you the one that posted that in the results?

47 minutes ago, Born-to-pipette said:

Nearly had a heart attack. ANyone else apply to weill cornell immunology?

I did… of course, because it seems we applied to literally all the same programs lol.  I still haven't heard anything from them

30 minutes ago, LoveMysterious said:

I did, but it's my dream-reach school. If no one who applied to the IMP program hears back, it's probably because the adcomm all had heart attacks after seeing how bad my undergrad transcript is. :P JK! 

well...that explains it hahaha. jk. there is always hope! they haven't sent them out yet :)