2017 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Dank

6 minutes ago, KR Marksmen said:

I know it's not part of CAMB but do you know if BMB sent out invites? I haven't seen anything on the survey yet but in past years they seemed to have released invites between the 14-18th of December.

They're probably done by this point as well. That might stand for all of BGS, I really cant see them sending invites this late in the game. I might be wrong though.

42 minutes ago, Bioenchilada said:

Just putting it out there, but I'm very confident that UPenn CAMB is done sending invites, most were sent out last thursday and friday. 

Haven't heard anything from them :( 

That's alright, though. I wasn't 100% in love with the school just figured I'd give it a try. Thanks for keeping us in the loop this entire time! You have been our "inside guy" haha.

25 minutes ago, DGD4L said:

Haven't heard anything from them :( 

That's alright, though. I wasn't 100% in love with the school just figured I'd give it a try. Thanks for keeping us in the loop this entire time! You have been our "inside guy" haha.

Then why did you apply? Haha

Just now, Bioenchilada said:

Then why did you apply? Haha

Don't get me wrong I liked the program! It just wasn't my top choice. I liked some of the professors research and the location is close to home (relative to other places that I applied). I figured if I got an interview I could make a more informed decision.

On 12/21/2016 at 7:12 AM, purkinjay said:

I'm not sure about other schools, but I talked to a WashU neuro program coordinator the day before the deadline and she told me they get a ton of (maybe the most? I forget her wording) applications right before the deadline, in the 3 days leading up to it. So I can't imagine that it would hurt you, although I guess you never know! For the record, I also submitted to two programs that I have interviews for literally hours before the deadline... So I'm hopeful that it doesn't really matter when apps are submitted as long as it's before the deadline.

(edit: woops sorry I didn't realize someone had already addressed this!)

That's great to know! I am literally refreshing my email account like crazy, well.. I'd just wait, I guess. 

On 21 December 2016 at 7:57 PM, IndoGenic said:

It is still quite early in the application season. I don't know where are you applying to, but I think only few school have started sending invites. Most of the member here applied to those schools, though, so we see so many people getting invites here. 

I have not got anything yet, either. It seems that none of my programs started sending out their invites anyway.

Yeah! That could be the reason. 

To state some of the programs I've applied to, Harvard BBS, UCLA Biosciences, UChicago Biosciences, Virginia Tech TBMH, Buffalo's and Colorado's Biomedical Sciences, and few more. 

Keeping yourself motivated during this wait process is one of the most difficult things, I guess! 

2 hours ago, Bubbles_L said:

congrats!

When did you receive the notification? I noticed some posted the interview invite yesterday, not sure if you received yours yesterday or just now. My mail is still empty, sort of crazy now.

Yesterday.

2 minutes ago, immuno91 said:

Honestly, in some cases them knowing you have an appointment is up in the air. It's not unheard of for a PI to miss an interview.

One of mine was in a meeting and I lost half of my interview time with him haha

Hey! I was just offered an interview at U of Washington Genome Sciences and the only weekend the email offered was February 26th-28th. This poses a conflict for me as I will not be in the country at this time :(.Supposedly there is an earlier weekend (Feb 12-14) according the the interview thread. Does this mean the earlier weekend non-existent? Or is it appropriate for me to ask if I can be switched to the earlier weekend?

5 minutes ago, genomestuff said:

Hey! I was just offered an interview at U of Washington Genome Sciences and the only weekend the email offered was February 26th-28th. This poses a conflict for me as I will not be in the country at this time :(.Supposedly there is an earlier weekend (Feb 12-14) according the the interview thread. Does this mean the earlier weekend non-existent? Or is it appropriate for me to ask if I can be switched to the earlier weekend?

I have a conflict as well, just e-mailed them to ask if there's an alternate weekend.

5 minutes ago, genomestuff said:

Maybe it's full. You should ask. 

9 minutes ago, Bioenchilada said:

Maybe it's full. You should ask. 

How likely are they to squeeze additional candidates into full weekends? Having a wee bit of that issue myself :D filled up in less than 48 hours. And the alternative weekend conflicts. I just sent an email to grovel with dignity. Let's see how that pans out hahah

Edited by Born-to-pipette

5 minutes ago, Born-to-pipette said:

How likely are they to squeeze additional candidates into full weekends? Having a wee bit of that issue myself :D filled up in less than 48 hours. And the alternative weekend conflicts. I just sent an email to grovel with dignity. Let's see how that pans out hahah

I only had conflicts with schools I would not have minded saying "Bye,Felicia" to if they couldn't accomodate me haha

So, I don't know anything about those logistics. I mean, sometimes you just have to decline offers haha

2 minutes ago, Bioenchilada said:

I only had conflicts with schools I would not have minded saying "Bye,Felicia" to if they couldn't accomodate me haha

So, I don't know anything about those logistics. I mean, sometimes you just have to decline offers haha

Yeah, that is fair. I like this school but it's not in my top 2. But it's not a Felicia either :lol:

2 hours ago, hippopotamus said:

During interviews, can we assume that our interviewers have read our statement of purpose?

Yeah, no. Please don't do that if you want to have a good interview. 

Assume that your interview read your personal statement (more than half probably will, especially if they are interested in you). 
Some of your interviewers will be on the admissions committee - they will probably ask you to explain your research experiences. Expect to answer their questions. And, equally important, ask them questions about their work too! 

Any advice for navigating interview invites to multiple programs at the same school? I applied to three at the University of Wisconsin, and so far have heard back from MDTP and CMB (waiting on CMP). Is it unrealistic to attend the activities of multiple programs in a single weekend? Should I only accept one invitation and turn down the other one or two?

17 minutes ago, dragonfrog said:

Any advice for navigating interview invites to multiple programs at the same school? I applied to three at the University of Wisconsin, and so far have heard back from MDTP and CMB (waiting on CMP). Is it unrealistic to attend the activities of multiple programs in a single weekend? Should I only accept one invitation and turn down the other one or two?

It is unrealistic to attend the activities of multiple programs, even within the same school.