2017 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Dank

35 minutes ago, RachanaDS said:

Crap! This is not good. Do you think emailing the program coordinator will be the right thing to do? Or maybe, I should wait. I just want to make I am not being hopeful when I don't really have any chances.

Wait, why would you email the director?

1 minute ago, RachanaDS said:

To ask them about the status of the application. I mean not like the director, more like a staff person handling graduate school admissions.

I guess you can do that, might as well call though. However, BBS sends invites on a single day, and that was last Friday

1 hour ago, RachanaDS said:

Crap! This is not good. Do you think emailing the program coordinator will be the right thing to do? Or maybe, I should wait. I just want to make I am not being hopeful when I don't really have any chances.

I wouldn't waste your time, I already emailed the coordinator. All BBS emails were sent on 12/16. 

13 minutes ago, MoreInformation said:

I was disappointed too given Harvard's excellence, but it's part of the process. We'll be fine. 

You got invites from schools that are just as excellent, so you should definitely not feel disappointed :) 

17 minutes ago, MoreInformation said:

I was disappointed too given Harvard's excellence, but it's part of the process. We'll be fine. 

Yeah that's true. I wasn't expecting anything before Jan. But after having come across this website, I've become anxious like shit. I don't really have that great of a profile. However, having no interviews was something I didn't expect. 

Well, it's not the end of the world. Let's see. Good luck for all your interviews. 

7 minutes ago, vnatch said:

Does anyone know the status of the Harvard MCO apps? Based on the previous messages I guess the BBS program is done sending invites, but has anyone gotten any MCO invites?

I think a person got one earlier on the thread. 

Has anyone ever asked to just attend 2 out of the 3 days of an interview? I have a conflict with the last day of Weill, which the email says will just be student housing tours and lunch. I replied to the email asking if it is possible to reschedule, but their email said they will decide IF alternative arrangements can be made, so I was hoping maybe just going to the first two days is a thing people sometimes do. Thanks!

34 minutes ago, britmact said:

Has anyone ever asked to just attend 2 out of the 3 days of an interview? I have a conflict with the last day of Weill, which the email says will just be student housing tours and lunch. I replied to the email asking if it is possible to reschedule, but their email said they will decide IF alternative arrangements can be made, so I was hoping maybe just going to the first two days is a thing people sometimes do. Thanks!

I'm sure you can skip housing tour and lunch. Mount Sinai says dinner and escape room thing on the second day and the housing tour are all optional. 

So that means Weill is probably done sending invites :( breaks my heart

heard from emory as well, for the cancer bio - so for me that makes -

washu mcb - invited
u Wisconsin-Madison - invited
emory - invited

northwestern cancer - assuming rejected
upenn cancer - assuming rejected

UChicago cancer - no word

still holding hope for the Chicago schools, still haven't heard anything from anyone about them. surprised more people didn't apply to Wisconsin Madison - I thought it was one of the top programs, is it not?

7 minutes ago, Pepperoni said:

washu mcb - invited
emory - invited

still holding hope for the Chicago schools, still haven't heard anything from anyone about them. surprised more people didn't apply to Wisconsin Madison - I thought it was one of the top programs, is it not?

OMG You heard from Emory Cancer. When?

1 hour ago, britmact said:

9/11:) that is very impressive. Congrat!

37 minutes ago, Pepperoni said:

washu mcb - invited
emory - invited

I applied to UW Madison. I've heard they're having some financial troubles recently and that some faculty are leaving. Personally it was still somewhere I was interested in, so I figured I'd still apply and I was invited for an interview. I'm in biochemistry if it makes a difference. 

13 hours ago, geneticginger said:

I have a dilemma that I'm trying to parse out. I received an interview invitation from Emory and I need to let them know by the 29th if I accept the interview. Emory only has one interview weekend and that weekend falls the same time as one of Duke's interview weekends and one of UNC's interview weekends. I don't know if I'll get into either program but I likely won't know until after the 29th. Should I decline Emory and wait to hear from Duke and UNC and potentially shoot myself in the foot? Or keep Emory and not be able to interview with Duke or UNC? UNC may have another interview weekend but Duke's other interview weekend is when I have an interview with another school. 

I already heard from UNC BBSP and Duke Biochem, but your departments might be different. Was Emory really personal/"nice" with you? It may vary by department but everyone I've interacted with seems really friendly. They might be amenable to giving you an alternate time but I'm not sure. 

46 minutes ago, Pepperoni said:

washu mcb - invited
emory - invited

when did you hear from emory?!

10 minutes ago, Nujhat said:

Hello, I am new here. I applied to Purdue University's (West Lafayette Campus) Graduate Admission Program (Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering) for Fall 2017. But I did a severe mistake in my application. In the University's website, it was written that the SOP should be of 300-500 words. I did not notice this and submitted an SOP with 986 words. I emailed the Graduate Admissions  Representative of the ECE Department, asking her what I should do now, was there any way to re-upload the SOP with 500 words and she replied the following - 

"Nujhat,

Your file is already in the bin where Admissions committee will pull files to review after our winter break, just leave your SOP how it is.

It will be fine and we hope to be able to start releasing results from review by mid February.

Thanks,

Deb"

Can anyone tell will this affect my application? Should I be worried? :( 

First of all this is the bio thread, so we're not EECS people. But I also submitted a two-page SOP to a school that asked for one page and I still got an interview, I wouldn't freak out.