2017 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Dank

What is the best way to ask a program if they can wait for my response regarding whether or not I can go to their interview weekend or not? I don't want to just wait it out without giving them a response. I have several programs I'm hoping to hear back from and I am unsure yet as to when their interview dates will be. I don't want to commit to one program and not have the chance to go to another. I also don't want to seem as if the program that has already invited me is not important to me..

Does anybody know if Gerstner Sloan Kettering is done sending invitations? In the past they seem to send both interview invites and rejections in one week. I haven't received any news from them though, and after emailing them I was told "Our offices are still sorting through and discussing applications. You should receive a response by the end of next week.".

Is this BS? I'd bet my house I'm doomed, but I rather have you more knowledgeable people crash my hopes for good.

1 minute ago, jeanetics17 said:

Has anyone received an interview at their top choice program already and are feeling less motivated about some of your other schools/are thinking about declining other interview offers? 

Man, that sucks, feeling so bad for you. If you want to trade lives with me :P

Jk, you have nothing to lose in being invited to other programs, even if you end up declining their offers. Congrats on your interviews!

3 hours ago, sivis said:

Aaaand just got my rejection email from UWashington. The holiday cheer is dead :(

I got a rejection letter from UW today as well. All I want for Christmas is an interview date :(  I'm really getting worried that I have received 2 rejections and zero interviews.

7 hours ago, SysEvo said:

Congrats! Your profile is pretty strong! BTW, do you know if Princeton QCB has sent out all invitations? Thanks!

Hi, thanks! I'm not sure, sorry. It's certainly possible that they sound out two waves of invites. I got mine super early (December 9th) so it's possible they'll send out some later ones.

I have to decline an interview that already booked a flight for me given that Weill cornell just sent me an invite today and I had already had interviews booked for both weekends they offered: is this really bad or do you think programs encounter this often?

1 hour ago, abcd1 said:

Has anyone received an interview invite from Emory Genetics and Molecular Biology? I see a few people who have received invites for other bio programs but not from GMB.

I received an interview invite last Wednesday. They could still be sending out invites. Hope this helps!

49 minutes ago, Pinot Meow said:

Got accepted to University of Arkansas CMB -- it doesn't sound glamorous but I love the area and the lab I'd be in (and the generous fellowship I qualify for)!

Congratulations! Just curious if you got accepted directly by a faculty member or if you applied through the graduate program. University of Arkansas is one of my options but they seem to have a system where you have to directly get accepted by a lab.

3 minutes ago, GenomeNerd said:

I received an interview invite last Wednesday. They could still be sending out invites. Hope this helps!

Thanks. Hope they are still sending invites after the holidays.

3 hours ago, LadyScientist said:

I got a rejection letter from UW today as well. All I want for Christmas is an interview date :(  I'm really getting worried that I have received 2 rejections and zero interviews.

That's exactly my situation too. I am kind of losing hopes now. 

1 hour ago, jumbo1177 said:

I have to decline an interview that already booked a flight for me given that Weill cornell just sent me an invite today and I had already had interviews booked for both weekends they offered: is this really bad or do you think programs encounter this often?

I would try to avoid declining an interview if they already booked a flight though it probably doesn't matter too much if you're not going to interview there at all.

2 hours ago, abcd1 said:

Has anyone received an interview invite from Emory Genetics and Molecular Biology? I see a few people who have received invites for other bio programs but not from GMB.

I have, I had a Skype interview first earlier this month

37 minutes ago, LadyScientist said:

Me too :(  But... It's only December! So... It's not over til it's over!

I know, right. Hell man! And nothing's gonna happen during this break. I am hoping that things are better at least in January :angry:

1 minute ago, RachanaDS said:

I know, right. Hell man! And nothing's gonna happen during this break. I am hoping that things are better at least in January :angry:

Yes, I think the worst part about this wait is having so little to do in the interim... I am still in the lab a lot over break, but I still have way too much free time on my hands. So I sit around and check my email just one more time in case I got something in the 30 seconds since I last checked my email. -_-  School resumes on the 8th of January and I am very thankful!

Quick question. For those that got rejections from UCSF or other schools, was it through email or did you call and talk to someone?  Just trying to see if there are schools I should give up on or not. 

Edited by Browncoat5871
Spelling

25 minutes ago, Browncoat5871 said:

Quick question. For those that got rejections from UCSF or other schools, was it through email or did you call and talk to someone?  Just trying to see if there are schools I should give up on or not. 

UCSF sent an email that said there was an update to my application and to check the application portal. The homepage showed up with a rejection and if you clicked it, it linked to a rejection letter.

For UW, they sent the rejection in the email.

I'm expecting an Emory rejection in the near future post-holidays haha so I can let you know how that works:D

Just keep in mind everyone that schools can make invitations for interviews through January and February as well. So on the bright side, there is still hope for a phone call! (And on the not-so-bright side, we have to put up with this agony for another few months. Shit.) 

On 12/22/2016 at 11:22 PM, Cervello said:

I'd love to know what percent of Harvard PiN applicants got an interview this year and how many will be admitted. They supposedly got a record number of applicants.

Yep - around 450 applicants, 51 interviewed. Last year something like 33/45 were accepted, I don't know whether they're planning to lower the acceptance rate or increase the class size. Last year the total applicants were under 400 (350?) so this is a pretty big one-year increase.

Hi Guys! 

I've been trying to search through the topic on some recent tips/advise/descriptions of how to prepare/what to expect from interview at top schools (Weill Cornell, Harvard, etc?). Could anyone point me in the right direction or if anyone has any good advice, I would really appreciate it.