2017 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Dank

On 12/26/2016 at 6:21 PM, Epigenetics said:

On that note though, committees care about independent research experience most of all, and idk if a master's actually demonstrates that, largely depends on the nature of the program. I can tell you the two biggest things committees care about, from friends who have been on them, are letters of rec and research experience. They want to know you know what you're getting into.

Echoing what Epigenetics said, I've spoken to several faculty members at elite universities (Stanford, Princeton, Yale, Harvard, JHU, WUSTL) who have served on committees. They have said:

1) The most important parts of your application are your letters of recommendation and research experience

2) The correlation between success in graduate school and GPA usually disappears around 3.2

3) GRE scores are not very important

4) Some faculty members don't even bother reading your SOP

11 hours ago, emfarce said:

Had anyone heard back from the following schools: Cornell (Plant Biology); Duke (Biology), U Washington (Biology), or Oregon State (Botany and Plant Pathology)? Cheers!

UW got back to me about two weeks ago?

3 hours ago, dustonthedash said:

I applied to Cornell EEB last year so I guess I have a little bit of insight for that one...even though I ultimately got rejected. I thought I had a pretty good chance since I had been emailing back and forth with a professor who seemed very enthusiastic, and Cornell is my current PI's alma mater so he wrote me a very specific rec letter. I would have been working with one of his collaborators had I gotten in. (Looking back, though, I didn't have nearly enough research experience and my GPA isn't Ivy League material.)

Point being: Cornell EEB sends out interview invites around this time. Last year their interview weekend was the last week of January and invites went out the week before Christmas. I got my rejection by email in the middle of February. For stats: their program receives over 100 applicants. The top ~20 of those applicants will get invited to interview. About 8 people will get accepted.

Also, where are all the other EEB people on here?? Is this just a small year? It seems that there were many more prospective students last application round.

There's another thread for EEB students on this forum, I think.

I've been lurking for awhile, but figured it might help ease my anxieties by finally making a post. 

Undergrad Institution: Top 5 science and engineering school 
Major(s): Bioengineering
Minor(s): N/A
GPA in Major: N/A
Overall GPA: 3.2
Position in Class: N/A
Type of Student: Domestic Hispanic male

GRE Scores (revised/old version): revised
Q: 165
V: 165
W: 5.5
B: None

Research Experience: 

• One year and counting in a synthetic biology lab that's well aligned with my research interests. No publications, but hopefully I'll have an abstract accepted to a major SynBio conference later this year. 
  • Summer research in a synthetic biology lab at another institution after my sophomore year.
  • Summer research in a biochemistry lab after my freshman year. 
  • In general no publications, but I've written research reports for all of my summer research and have given oral presentations at on-campus seminar days for undergrads.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Three summer research fellowships, that's about it

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: I'll be TAing an introductory bio class during the spring. Other than that I've been heavily involved in student government and play in the concert band. I also chaired a committee that examined/updated the bioengineering curriculum at my school. 

Special Bonus Points: Two of my letters of recommendation were from my last two research professors with the third coming from my academic adviser. All three of them seem to be well-known and resepected within the field of bioengineering.

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: GPA although still low has shot up over the past two years, mainly due to good grades in the advanced Bioengineering classes. Unfortunately low grades in some intro math and physics classes. 

Applying to Where:

UChicago Genetics, Genomics and Systems Biology

Columbia Systems Biology

Northwestern IBiS

Harvard Systems Biology

MIT Computational and Systems Biology (CSBi)

UWashington Bioengineering

UT Austin Biomedical Engineering

Arizona State Biomedical Engineering

Boston University Biomedical Engineering

Johns Hopkins Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering 

What do you guys think my chances are for any of the above programs?

Edited by UnstableSteadyState

I am almost ready to write off Columbia and Berkeley :(  Not yet but almost.  i just wish all programs would send out rejections if you are not even under consideration. I understand if i am on a waiting list - but if I I am not under consideration, just let me know. 

20 hours ago, UnstableSteadyState said:

I've been lurking for awhile, but figured it might help ease my anxieties by finally making a post. 

Undergrad Institution: Top 5 science and engineering school 
Major(s): Bioengineering
Minor(s): N/A
GPA in Major: N/A
Overall GPA: 3.2
Position in Class: N/A
Type of Student: Domestic Hispanic male

GRE Scores (revised/old version): revised
Q: 165
V: 165
W: 5.5
B: None

Research Experience: 

• One year and counting in a synthetic biology lab that's well aligned with my research interests. No publications, but hopefully I'll have an abstract accepted to a major SynBio conference later this year. 
  • Summer research in a synthetic biology lab at another institution after my sophomore year.
  • Summer research in a biochemistry lab after my freshman year. 
  • In general no publications, but I've written research reports for all of my summer research and have given oral presentations at on-campus seminar days for undergrads.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Three summer research fellowships, that's about it

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: I'll be TAing an introductory bio class during the spring. Other than that I've been heavily involved in student government and play in the concert band. I also chaired a committee that examined/updated the bioengineering curriculum at my school. 

Special Bonus Points: Two of my letters of recommendation were from my last two research professors with the third coming from my academic adviser. All three of them seem to be well-known and resepected within the field of bioengineering.

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: GPA although still low has shot up over the past two years, mainly due to good grades in the advanced Bioengineering classes. Unfortunately low grades in some intro math and physics classes. 

Applying to Where:

UChicago Genetics, Genomics and Systems Biology

Columbia Systems Biology

Northwestern IBiS

Harvard Systems Biology

MIT Computational and Systems Biology (CSBi)

UWashington Bioengineering

UT Austin Biomedical Engineering

Arizona State Biomedical Engineering

Boston University Biomedical Engineering

Johns Hopkins Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering 

What do you guys think my chances are for any of the above programs?

From what I've heard (talking with my PI and other professors), LORs and research experience are the most important. If you have strong LORs despite low GPA and no publications, you still have a good shot. You're also applying to a variety of schools, so I definitely think you have a chance of getting at least a few interviews. Summer research fellowships also go a long way, so don't discount yourself yet! What I've learned this application season is that you never know exactly what the committees are looking for. They may need to balance the research interests of their incoming class, so if you have a strong synthetic bio background, it might work in your favor. Harvard Systems Biology interviews have already been sent out, but I believe most of your other schools haven't sent out invites, so there is still a chance!

Does anyone have any info on when Rutgers releases decisions for admission to PhD programs in the life sciences (e.g. marine science, ecology and evolution, molbiosci, etc.)? Also, does Rutgers do interviews and do they release decisions about funding with admission or after? None of that info is on any of the program sites.

This thread is for stats and admission results for Fall 2017 but it looks like many people have heard back about interviews and have some admissions info by now. Is that typical? From my experience with the schools I applied to, all of the deadlines were fairly recent so I wasn't expecting to hear anything from anywhere for a while...

Can anybody post the email rejection from Gerstner Sloan Kettering? I have applied through the Fulbright program, and they've told me I would not be invited to interview but that they aren't able to give any further official information regarding acceptance/rejection.

Do the emails state anything about rejection or do they just say that one has not been shortlisted to interview?

Hi All,

I'm sure this has been gone over a million times, but does anyone have a link to pictures of acceptable clothing for grad interviews?  I'm interviewing at NYU and I don't know how formal or informal they are.  I am planning on wearing khakis/cords a nice button up shirt and a sweater, but is that too casual? I'm afraid I'll feel awkward in a blazer.

Thank You!

Hello,

Do you guys know how the interview proceeds at Harvard (BBS, system biology)? 

Is it an hour long interview? How many professors do I have to interview with? Do they go over your CV and ask questions based on that? Or is it really like a casual conversation where I get to "choose" the topic?

Thank you!!

6 hours ago, blueyellow said:

Hi All,

I'm sure this has been gone over a million times, but does anyone have a link to pictures of acceptable clothing for grad interviews?  I'm interviewing at NYU and I don't know how formal or informal they are.  I am planning on wearing khakis/cords a nice button up shirt and a sweater, but is that too casual? I'm afraid I'll feel awkward in a blazer.

Thank You!

Have a look at this thread: 

I've been lurking' hard. Here's my stuff.

Undergrad Institution: UCSD
Major(s): Cognitive Science, Neuroscience spec.
GPA in Major: 3.5
Overall GPA: 3.5
Type of Student: domestic

GRE Scores:
Q: 160
V: 161
W: 5

Research Experience: 

- Human social learning lab. EEG, data modeling, behavioral analyses. 2 posters. Strong letter from tenured professor. 1 year of volunteer work & 1 year as paid RA. (2 years)

- Rodent memory f(x) lab. Focus on contributions to path integration in rodent models. Motion tracking data modeling/analysis, ablation procedures, rodent training. x1 first author manuscript in preparation. Strong letter from distinguished professor. x1 conference presentation. (1 year)

- Studied human saccadic eye movements. Modeled and analyzed data. (6 mo.)

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: 

- Temporal Dynamics of Learning Center, REU Fellowship (x2)

- Provost Honors (x5)

- Honors Transfer Program (junior college)

- A couple of no-name, small, merit-based scholarships during junior college.

Pertinent Activities or Jobs:

- Math tutor (2 years)

- Upper division neuroscience T.A.

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help:

- Was employed through entire undergrad career

- Lots of volunteer work

Special Bonus Points: 

- x1 famous recommender

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter:

- Former junior college dropout (returning student)

- Failed linear algebra and then got a C when I retook it because of extenuating family/relationship circumstances. 

- Multiple 'W's on transcript from focusing so heavily on lab experience and working to support myself through undergrad.

- My Cog Sci major did not require general or organic chemistry.

Applying to Where:

- MIT (BCS) (Invitation received 12/9)

- Stanford (Neurosciences) ( )

- UCSF (Neurosciences) ( )

- Berkeley (Helen Wills) ( )

- UCLA (NSIDP) ( )

- UCSD (Neurosciences) (Rejection received 12/27)

- NYU (Sackler) ( )

- Columbia (GSAS) ( )

- UW (Neurosciences) ( )

Edited by levelground

Hello guys!

I am an undergrad from India and have received an invitation from Yale (BBS PhD, MCGD track) for the interview weekend. 
It is going to pretty hectic (financially,academically) to visit during the weekend. But I feel that I may let go of a wonderful opportunity to meet so many brilliant people face to face.

Anyone else in this dilemma? Can someone give me insights about Yale as a place for graduate studies in cell biology type areas? Also what should I keep in mind for the interview?
Any suggestions/tips will help a lot!

4 hours ago, Milind said:

Hello guys!

I am an undergrad from India and have received an invitation from Yale (BBS PhD, MCGD track) for the interview weekend. 
It is going to pretty hectic (financially,academically) to visit during the weekend. But I feel that I may let go of a wonderful opportunity to meet so many brilliant people face to face.

Anyone else in this dilemma? Can someone give me insights about Yale as a place for graduate studies in cell biology type areas? Also what should I keep in mind for the interview?

I thought they did Skype interviews for international students who don't live in the US. Anyway, congratulations! That's an amazing opportunity. Yale only interviews very few international students and the fact that you made the cut shows that they are interested in having you. I'd totally invest money in visiting and checking out the program. It's a once in a lifetime opportunity. 

I applied to Yale MMPP. Does anyone know if they're still sending out invites? I'm losing hope :(

22 hours ago, Josie817 said:

Does anyone know of any good biomedical sciences programs that have later deadlines? I know UMaryland-Baltimore and Stony Brook apps close on January 15th, but those were the only ones I could find.

Check out Buffalo's Biomedical Sciences Program. Here's the link..

http://medicine.buffalo.edu/phdprogram/about/why_choose.html

And then there is Virginia Tech's TMBH program, kinda new so underrrated but it has some great professors. And here you go..

http://www.tbmh.vt.edu/about/index.html#

8 hours ago, Milind said:

Hello guys!

Congrats! I think Yale can reimburse $500 towards travel and extra 1-2 days of hotels for international travel (I only knew this because they thought I wasn't residing in the US lol). If the plane tickets from India to New Haven are expensive, you can consider flying to one of the NYC airports (LGA, NWR, JFK) and take the airport shuttle to New Haven, which will be cheaper than connecting flights to New Haven.

In terms of the research quality at Yale, I think overall it's top notch. The immunology department is one of the best in the nation, so many PIs doing amazing science. Their structure biology is also one of the best in the nation(Thomas Steitz, Anna Pyle, etc). I'm not particularly familiar with MCGD (since I applied to MMPP), but my impression is that it's very strong as well. There are 3 HHMI investigators in MCGD (Ronald Breaker, Tian Xu, Joan Steitz), several NAS members, which are good signs of great science and reputation. But the key is whether there are faculty members you want to work with in your specific area of interest. These are just my impression, and it's one of my top choice school for sure. 

Good luck!

5 hours ago, Katyya said:

I thought they did Skype interviews for international students who don't live in the US. Anyway, congratulations! That's an amazing opportunity. Yale only interviews very few international students and the fact that you made the cut shows that they are interested in having you. I'd totally invest money in visiting and checking out the program. It's a once in a lifetime opportunity. 

I applied to Yale MMPP. Does anyone know if they're still sending out invites? I'm losing hope :(

Thanks a lot! Will definitely keep this in mind! 
I guess they will still be sending out invites. Maybe not these days because of the holiday season.