2017 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Dank

Those of you who have heard from Vanderbilt, when did you send in your application?

I sent mine a few days after the priority deadline, so I'm hoping the fact that I haven't heard from them is due to that and not because I've been rejected. 

10 minutes ago, seventwo said:

Those of you who have heard from Vanderbilt, when did you send in your application?

I sent mine a few days after the priority deadline, so I'm hoping the fact that I haven't heard from them is due to that and not because I've been rejected. 

Hi! I actually just received an email from the director saying that she would really like me to finish my app ( i never actually submitted just put in all my scores/ research experience, but no SOP or LOR) and that she is excited to consider me. I'm pretty sure she probably sent this email out to a lot of people, but I also think that still means they are considering people especially since their application is free. The only reason I can think they would still be asking for people to apply is if they wanted to boost their application numbers to have a lower acceptance rate. 

I should clarify though--the woman who emailed me was the director and she was very responsive and encouraging so I kind of doubt they are only asking for more applications to boost numbers.

Edited by blueyellow

2 minutes ago, blueyellow said:

Hi! I actually just received an email from the director saying that she would really like me to finish my app ( i never actually submitted just put in all my scores/ research experience, but no SOP or LOR) and that she is excited to consider me. I'm pretty sure she probably sent this email out to a lot of people, but I also think that still means they are considering people especially since their application is free. The only reason I can think they would still be asking for people to apply is if they wanted to boost their application numbers to have a lower acceptance rate. 

This is a genuine question. Do grad programs care about having low acceptance rates? I feel like this is an undergrad only thing primarily driven by ranking systems that use that as a metric for how good a school is. And all it is really measuring is how popular a school is among prospective students. I guess pure bio grad school has these rankings as well. Comp bio basically doesn't have a full ranking on any of the ranking agencies.

I would think that for grad programs there would be such better metrics to use anyway (number of papers, impact factors, % alums staying in academia/getting tenure track jobs, etc). So in response to @blueyellow if its free then there is no downside. If you would seriously consider going there then I would say go for it.

7 minutes ago, blueyellow said:

I should clarify though--the woman who emailed me was the director and she was very responsive and encouraging so I kind of doubt they are only asking for more applications to boost numbers.

I got that same email because I accidentally started two applications, I think it's an automatic reminder for uncompleted applications. But still good to know that she was responsive and encouraging! I'll keep the hope alive

4 minutes ago, seventwo said:

I got that same email because I accidentally started two applications, I think it's an automatic reminder for uncompleted applications. But still good to know that she was responsive and encouraging! I'll keep the hope alive

I thought the same thing, but I emailed her back yesterday afternoon and she responded at 6pm (PST) with a bunch of exclamation points and specific advice and stuff so idk how automatic it really is. don't give up hope!! she told me they are actively reviewing applications still.

edit: if you really are worried about your app having already been rejected, I'm sure if you emailed her she would tell you. she seemed incredibly honest and welcoming to all questions.

Edited by blueyellow

5 minutes ago, AGradStudentHasNoName said:

This is a genuine question. Do grad programs care about having low acceptance rates? I feel like this is an undergrad only thing primarily driven by ranking systems that use that as a metric for how good a school is. And all it is really measuring is how popular a school is among prospective students. I guess pure bio grad school has these rankings as well. Comp bio basically doesn't have a full ranking on any of the ranking agencies.

I would think that for grad programs there would be such better metrics to use anyway (number of papers, impact factors, % alums staying in academia/getting tenure track jobs, etc). So in response to @blueyellow if its free then there is no downside. If you would seriously consider going there then I would say go for it.

You know, I'm not actually sure about the acceptance rates but I do notice that on every website they don't advertise the metrics you mentioned.  I would hope they don't really care about the acceptance rate, but I can only assume that it adds to prestige to say "we only accept 10% of applicants meaning we have the top 10% of students" I know that's a false equivalency but it might still sway people's opinions of that school.

10 minutes ago, sas007 said:

As a follow up from someone previous, has anyone heard from UW Immunology yet? Does anyone know if they have started sending out interviews?

I checked the results and I see one rejection from a few days ago. You may want to call or email.

2 hours ago, sas007 said:

yea someone before said they emailed them several days ago saying they were still making decisions, I was just wondering if anyone has heard from them by now

I still haven't heard anything, but we weren't going to hear anything between 5 PM PST Friday and 9 AM PST tomorrow, since today was observed as New Year's Day. I reckon either no one on TGC got an invitation this year or we'll hear something this week.

Edited by RaganSmash

I'm also wondering like seventwo, I submitted my application for Vanderbilt's IGP right before the priority deadline. Has anyone heard interview offers around/past that date? Don't want to be impatient....but I am :-P Already emailed another school checking on my status in which they responded saying they would check and let me know...that was over a week now....

Getting very anxious because I only have one interview offer so far in which the interview date is coming up soon.

On 12/23/2016 at 7:35 PM, abcd1 said:

Congratulations! Just curious if you got accepted directly by a faculty member or if you applied through the graduate program. University of Arkansas is one of my options but they seem to have a system where you have to directly get accepted by a lab.

Thanks! It is acceptance to a lab. My POI made it sound like the application is more of a formality, that the main criteria is a lab to take you. I think they do rotations but all rotating labs have to agree to sponsor you as well. The website isn't very clear IMO.

58 minutes ago, Pinot Meow said:

Thanks! It is acceptance to a lab. My POI made it sound like the application is more of a formality, that the main criteria is a lab to take you. I think they do rotations but all rotating labs have to agree to sponsor you as well. The website isn't very clear IMO.

I have a friend currently enrolled in University of Arkansas. He confirmed that they don't do rotations and you stay in the lab you are selected by.

19 minutes ago, montanem said:

Not sure if everyone is still doing this...but here's my stuff as I am new to the site and all of this.  The waiting is killing me!  Anyone else applying to Soc programs?!  

Undergrad Institution: University of Colorado
Major(s): Anthropology, Sociology
GPA in Major: 3.5
Overall GPA: 3.2

Graduate Institution: Oregon State University
Major(s): Applied Anthropology
GPA in Major: 3.96
Overall GPA: 3.9

GRE Scores: (taken in 2013, didn't retake for this application round)

Q: 146
V: 156
W: 5

Research Experience: 
-Oregon State University 2016- interal research project- research assistant

-Oregon State University 2014-2017 MA thesis research ~350 surveys, ~53 formal interviews, ~3 focus groups. 

-Research Project at Arapahoe Community College, working with State History

-Oregon State University Ethnographic Field School

-Field School- Archaeology Belize May 2013

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: 

Pi Theta Kappa Honors Society

-Deans list (undergrad)

-GTA Mentor 2015 OSU

Pertinent Activities or Jobs:

- Instructor of Record ANTH210 F2014, W2015, S2016, F2015, W2016, S2016

-Research Assistant OSU 2016

-Internship Linn-Benton Food Share/Oregon State

-American Anthropological Association- @ main conferences in Minneapolis and Denver respectivelyPaper F2016, Poster F2015

-Society for Applied Anthropology- @ main conference in Vancouver Paper S2016

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help:

- Was employed through entire undergrad career- shift supervisor

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter:

- Nearly failed out freshmen year, upward path since

-Latin American Background/Spanish Speaker

Applying to Where:

All PHD Programs:

Stanford- Sociology

Berkely-Sociology

UPenn-Sociology

U of Colorado-Sociology

U  of Arizona- Sociology

Duke-Sociology

Michigan State- Social Work

U of Michigan- Sociology

UCDavis- Sociology

UTexas Austin- Sociology

Washington State-Sociology

Johns Hopkins- Sociology

UNC-Chapel Hill- Sociology 

Hi, this is the Biology thread, there's probably a Sociology topic elsewhere in the website. I'm sure they can be more helpful :)

9 minutes ago, Stemlike said:

Hi, this is the Biology thread, there's probably a Sociology topic elsewhere in the website. I'm sure they can be more helpful :)

Thanks haha I somehow found the status part in the link and didn't read the whole thing!

59 minutes ago, abcd1 said:

I have a friend currently enrolled in University of Arkansas. He confirmed that they don't do rotations and you stay in the lab you are selected by.

The website says you can rotate. It may be a new policy though. Best of luck to you!

IMG_1376.PNG