2017 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Dank

On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 10:45 AM, seventwo said:

How kosher is it to ask for a school to pay for a flight that leaves a day or two after the interview?

I've never been to Chicago, and I'd like an extra day to see the city when I'm not stressed about interviewing... 

when did you get an interview invite??? I still haven't heard from Chicago...

6 minutes ago, Pepperoni said:

when did you get an interview invite??? I still haven't heard from Chicago...

I did it. They were very happy to accommodate. I told them my friend was in the program and wanted to take me around the city and tour the school a little more. 

*Note if you already made flight arrangements previously they may ask you to pay the difference to change it. In my case the difference to extend a day was 2 dollars lol which they decided to cover.

Accidently replied to the comment that was replying to the comment i wanted to reply too.....don't know how to change it....

Edited by KR Marksmen

2 minutes ago, KR Marksmen said:

I did it. They were very happy to accommodate. I told them my friend was in the program and wanted to take me around the city and tour the school a little more. 

*Note if you already made flight arrangements previously they may ask you to pay the difference to change it. In my case the difference to extend a day was 2 dollars lol which they decided to cover.

you heard from uchicago-cancer?

3 minutes ago, Pepperoni said:

LOl I edited my earlier comment. I was tryna reply to the "is it kosher to extend your flight past interview" question.

SORRY!!!!:unsure:

Hey guys, I'm currently applying to some PHD programs and I'd like your input.

Here are my stats,
I graduated from an HBCU with my Bachelor's in Biology with a 3.89. Science GPA- 3.78
I was at the top of my class and also became the commencement speaker and I did it all in THREE years.

Research experience 1 (summer 2014)
Penn State Harrisburg- The goal of my research project was to identify candidate target genes that are differentially regulated in response to salt stress.

Research experience 2 (summer 2015)
University of Pennsylvania- The goal of the project was to evaluate how YY1 regulates long-range DNA looping by interacting with condensin, cohesin and polycomb group (PcG) proteins.

Research experience 3- current one for a year (July 2016-June 2017)
Virginia Commonwealth University- The goal of my research project was to evaluate the role of bone marrow-derived CCR2+ cells in the anti-tumor effects observed upon regulatory T cell ablation in a mouse model of breast cancer.
This is currently a PREP program I'm in, where I'm also taking a grad level course and doing weekly Journal Clubs

I had taken my GRE and got low scores.
Verbal- 142 Quant- 140 AW-3.5

I've attended and presented my work at different conferences especially ABRCMS, which I've done twice.
I also was a full scholarship recipient at my UG, where I was involved in a lot on campus. (not that it really matters).

The only thing saving me is the other aspects of my app. I know I'll have great LOR since, they are all coming from my mentors I've worked closely with.

I have applied to UPenn, Emory, UVA, Drexel, Penn State Hershey, Thomas Jefferson University, Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Temple University, Rutgers and VCU.

Please tell me what do you think my chances are!!!! I'm so nervous.

10 minutes ago, cancergirl said:

Hey guys, I'm currently applying to some PHD programs and I'd like your input.

Here are my stats,
I graduated from an HBCU with my Bachelor's in Biology with a 3.89. Science GPA- 3.78
I was at the top of my class and also became the commencement speaker and I did it all in THREE years.

Research experience 1 (summer 2014)
Penn State Harrisburg- The goal of my research project was to identify candidate target genes that are differentially regulated in response to salt stress.

Research experience 2 (summer 2015)
University of Pennsylvania- The goal of the project was to evaluate how YY1 regulates long-range DNA looping by interacting with condensin, cohesin and polycomb group (PcG) proteins.

Research experience 3- current one for a year (July 2016-June 2017)
Virginia Commonwealth University- The goal of my research project was to evaluate the role of bone marrow-derived CCR2+ cells in the anti-tumor effects observed upon regulatory T cell ablation in a mouse model of breast cancer.
This is currently a PREP program I'm in, where I'm also taking a grad level course and doing weekly Journal Clubs

I had taken my GRE and got low scores.
Verbal- 142 Quant- 140 AW-3.5

I've attended and presented my work at different conferences especially ABRCMS, which I've done twice.
I also was a full scholarship recipient at my UG, where I was involved in a lot on campus. (not that it really matters).

The only thing saving me is the other aspects of my app. I know I'll have great LOR since, they are all coming from my mentors I've worked closely with.

I have applied to UPenn, Emory, UVA, Drexel, Penn State Hershey, Thomas Jefferson University, Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Temple University, Rutgers and VCU.

Please tell me what do you think my chances are!!!! I'm so nervous.

What lab did you do the YY1 work in? Some of my research is about polycomb and that sounds really cool.

2 minutes ago, Epigenetics said:

What lab did you do the YY1 work in? Some of my research is about polycomb and that sounds really cool.

My PI was the director of the VMD-PHD program over at UPenn.  but I worked closely with a postdoc tho and the work is still ongoing. I really enjoyed this internship also! lots and lots of late nights.

Lurker here, figured my info might help!

Undergrad Institution: UW - Madison (Still attending)
Major(s): Evolutionary Biology
GPA in Major: 3.9
Overall GPA: 3.85
Type of Student: domestic

GRE Scores:
Q: 161
V: 158
W: 3.5

Research Experience: 

- UW - Madison - Spent the past two years (2015 -present) researching Yeast evolution, ecology, and biodiversity. Have a first author paper in preparation and another project nearing completion. 

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: 

- Two undergraduate fellowships

- (6x) Dean's List

- Travel award for large conference 

Pertinent Activities or Jobs:

- employed throughout my undergraduate career

Special Bonus Points: 
- Isolated/Discovered and Described three new species of yeast

Applying to Where:

- UW - Madison Genetics (Invited for Interview)

- UW - Madison MDTP (Invited for interview)

- Vanderbilt DBS (invited for interview)

- NYU - Sackler Institute (invited for interview)

- UW - Seattle Genome Sciences (Rejected)

- Stanford Bioscience - Genetics (Waiting...)

- UC Berkeley MCB (Waiting..)

- Michigan Ann Arbor EEB (Waiting...)

7 hours ago, Pepperoni said:

I don't think many people on gradcafe apply to UChicago Cancer, so the results thread doesn't have a lot of info. However, based on my experience with the program, they send invites on December. 

19 minutes ago, Kaede said:

While I hope MIT is not finished yet, I doubt I'll be getting an interview... I was too exhausted to properly change my SoP to fit their "proposal for graduate studies" prompt.

I didn't read the prompt until you mentioned it...

3 minutes ago, TinyAmbystoma said:

Sads. I'm sorry. Looking back I don't know that I spent enough of it on my planned grad work (just the very end)—to be honest I don't have too much planned grad work! I don't think it's a bad thing. I'm flexible. :P 

I literally copy-pasted my SOP for every program, even for Harvard which only wanted one page. I wrote one and was done haha. I don't think it was that prohibitive.

3 minutes ago, Epigenetics said:

I literally copy-pasted my SOP for every program, even for Harvard which only wanted one page. I wrote one and was done haha. I don't think it was that prohibitive.

Ah, good to know. Well! Congratulations. Perhaps we will meet from across departments (you know, hopefully (if I get in somewhere (though I guess maybe not all interview invites have gone out! so who knows) :P )). :) 

16 hours ago, Bioenchilada said:

I don't think many people on gradcafe apply to UChicago Cancer, so the results thread doesn't have a lot of info. However, based on my experience with the program, they send invites on December. 

why's that? and i see..